A change to siding placement.

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Six

A change to siding placement.

Post by Six »

Reasoning:
Corner and molding placement is great and I rarely find I need to rotate them after placement. However I almost always have to rotate siding, as I tend to place multiple siding facing the same way without anything behind them.

For example, I want to do this:
Spoiler
Show
But initially it'll come out like this:
Spoiler
Show
Actual suggestion:

Basically, the idea is to pull siding placement more in line with halfslab placement, such that clicking the side of another siding would generally place it in the same orientation as the other. This is much easier to describe visually:
Spoiler
Show
Clicking in the highlighted areas would place the siding as shown:

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: A change to siding placement.

Post by FlowerChild »

Maybe, let me think about it. I don't think the above behavior would be as intuitive as you expect.

Siding/Moulding/Corner rotation is going bye-bye with the next release btw. From the upcoming change-log:
-Removed ability to rotate Siding, Moulding, and Corners by right clicking with an empty hand. This feature was making the corresponding blocks feel "less solid", was leading to exploits such as creating cheap doors out of siding, and was also leading to excessively easy griefing in SMP. Since the inclusion of a more refined placement method for these blocks, this feature has also become less significant. Note that they may still be rotated on the Turntable.
Also, you kinda failed in keeping this suggestion succinct. One sentence would have done it :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BTW: I recently ran into this issue myself while building a covered bridge where I had to lay out a long line of downwards facing slabs with no structure above them. I found laying down a temporary dirt framework was a much simpler solution than going through manual rotation, and it was one of the experiences that motivated me to make the aforementioned change as I don't find the rotation actually helps very much in practice.
ion

Post by ion »

one of the most user unfriendly addition in the latest BTW.
i'll post some pics of roofs made in survival made with only subblocks and stairs:
Spoiler
Show
in the old BTW it was very easy to make. once you know the quirks of how subblocks rotate it was very easy to place and get them in the final shape. now i need to make 2 roofs out of dirt just to be able to place some sidings.
mojang added this feature when upper slabs were introduced. at that time making a road out of upper slabs was very hard as you needed to dig out a 3 blocks trench and make a roof for slab placement. most of time was spent on making dirt roof and digging that actual placement of the slabs,without taking in consideration the removal after.
maybe add a tool for us to be able to rotate them or make a more user friendly and intuitive way to place subblocks. as it is right now you just removed a great tool just to fix a minor problem.
good bye trellis bridges, organic roofs and sidinds walls.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Still easier than building a roof in the real world.

I'd like to chime in and say that I really like the feel of having to lay down scaffolding to place sidings properly. It makes you think about placing them which makes them feel solid and I like the way you can see the progression of a construction project as you go. It give the entire world some much needed heft.

I'm also starting to really like the fact I can bo longer accidentally smack a moulding and then spend ten seconds having to put it back in place very carefully to avoid disturbing the ones beside it.

Give it a try and play with it for awhile, then think about how the gameplay has changed before you rush to react to it. I was one of the people dreading this update when I saw the changelog excerpt but I've been roofing over a couple hundred meters of road through a taiga tonight and it really is better.
Last edited by DaveYanakov on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the vote of confidence as I suspect this will be a bit of a long battle :)
ion

Post by ion »

DaveYanakov wrote:Still easier than building a roof in the real world.

I'd like to chime in and say that I really like the feel of having to lay down scaffolding to place sidings properly. It makes you think about placing them which makes them feel solid and I like the way you can see the progression of a construction project as you go. It give the entire world some much needed heft.

I'm also starting to really like the fact I can bo longer accidentally smack a moulding and then spend ten seconds having to put it back in place very carefully to avoid disturbing the ones beside it.

Give it a try and play with it for awhile, then think about how the gameplay has changed before you rush to react to it. I was one of the people dreading this update when I saw the changelog excerpt but I've been roofing over a couple hundred meters of road through a taiga tonight and it really is better.
i do agree with you dave about accidental smacking was an issue, but as it is now it's harder to build complex roofs. if you build some easy to make buildings where there is no need for lot's of scaffolding it may be ok, still scaffolding needed for realism is bad. don't try to reinvent the wheel when there is no need to. spending thrice of time building is just bad design and it doesn't add nothing to the BTW experience. just waste of time and very low use of subblocks in open areas. post me for pics about the new feature!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ion wrote:spending thrice of time building is just bad design and it doesn't add nothing to the BTW experience.
Uh huh. And with that, you can fuck right off.