Compact reloading wheat farm?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
BlackCat

Re: Compact reloading wheat farm?

Post by BlackCat »

If I may offer some advice, you will likely want to start off with a basic replacer module like as seen in my thread, continuing from there you will need to secure wicker hoppers on top of the block dispensers (the reason my design did not work) and use some sort of piston cycle (similar to finite 8's design) to move the seeds.

However, you may be able to piston push seeds onto a platform then have an elevator bring the seeds up to a wicker filter.

I've had many troubles with these types of things unfortunately, but I'll try nonetheless to help out as much as I can.

Sorry I can't be of too much use here, I've ignored this thread for reasons and fears I'll leave unnamed.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
Six

Post by Six »

The compact reloading wheat farm is something I've been chasing for a long long time. Not because it is a good idea, you're far better off to make a good non-reloading farm that collects seed and refilling the BDs by hand every few days / weeks / months. I've been chasing it because it is a damn tricky and challenging design.

And I finally got one design working, but it is certainly not compact. This first revision is 7 tall, 6 wide and 3 deep (4 if you count the frontage):
Spoiler
Show
I think it might run into some problems with the wheat 'falling into' the planter when pushed up sometimes, but so far it has produced a few wheat fine.

And right after that I came up with an idea for a similar design, which is giving me odd results.
Spoiler
Show
This seems to trigger right, and my 'client' sees the wheat and seed being popped up and pushed across the hoppers, but when the pistons retract the wheat on top disappears and is actually still on top of the planter, pushed right into the corner. Might be the local client and server code disagreeing on something?

Anyway, maybe someone else can riff on these designs some, I'm sure they can be improved still.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

It might be because the hopper IS technically transparent...

I came up with a design on my own that's VERY compact (much more compact than six's because the individual farms feed to one elevator) but the problem lies with seeds and the single elevator. In order for my design to actually work I need to have over 2000 seeds per each wheat crop in order for seeds to flow to the next crop. To feed 2 cows i Need over 13000 seeds...

EDIT: I came up with a tileable design based off of DR's earlier post but I'm not very proud of it...
It maintains the same level of tilability as his but incorporates a NON-HCB seed elevator that works because each block in the tower of water is actually a source block so that seeds float to the top of it.. Honestly the elevator is so cheap that it's embarrassing... I'll post pics once I get to a source of Internet other than my phone. On the plus side this eliminates the seed problem :)

Here's some pics:
Spoiler
Show
Image so basically I just adjusted the redstone in a very simple way that required the minimum change to the actual design
Image See that BD in the top left corner? It works as a basic 2 ROM, it counts 2 buddy updates from the detector block turning on and off and only allows the second pulse through (or first it doesn't change anything)
Image I filled the BD with a slab and it is currently placing redstone dust but the slab can be literally any block, it doesn't need to be transparent.
Okay, revamped the design. Noir's deleted wheat module didn't work for a reason... :P
The basic change is actually all for the better though, I stopped the issue with double planting by adding a BD ROM and the hopper functions properly now so everything's good! working on a HCB version of this design that uses a platform elevator but im not really looking forward to it... maintaining the tilability of it is my primary concern and I'm not sure how to deal with that without making the design even more prohibitively expensive. (its expensive as hell as is)
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

dawnraider wrote:I apologize for not having this posted earlier, but RL got busy. This is not exactly Noir's, since I could not replicate it from memory, but it is based off of it. It also cannot load bonemeal.
Spoiler
Show
Note that it must be spaced two between each for mech power.

Tried recreating that one, it wasn't working properly :/
Spoiler
Show
I'll have a go at some of the others later tonight.

Been having some laptop issues so had to abandon this thread (and playing MC!) for a while :(
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
TheGatesofLogic

Pentagram wrote: Tried recreating that one, it wasn't working properly :/
Spoiler
Show
Yeah, if you look at it closely there are two reasons why this doesn't work properly and a third issue that affects this design.

The first problem is the detector block sends a DOUBLE pulse to the buddy,(this is because it updates off-to-on then on-to off) this causes a seed to be "wasted"(it actually can get recycled though) and is basically just annoying. I easily fixed this by adding a simple BD counter with a block and a peice of redstone dust in it.

The second issue is the torch under the gearbox, this is the reason why this design doesn"t work at all. If you look at the pics on my previous post you will see i managed to make a working version. Ill post a pic of it without the elevator attached for comparison.

The side issue is that every once in a while the seed will pop up too high and trigger a second round of pulses which is far worse when the first issue is present.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I don't know if I'm missing something but can't you just do this:
Spoiler
Show
Just encase it wasn't clear, it is a detector block on the end of the piston.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

SterlingRed wrote:To compact the design, 'tier' your wheat modules so that the seed output of one module supplies the seeds for the next module. This can be done without the use of elevators. If you 'pull' the planter to harvest the wheat place a hopper with a filter directly below it. Seeds go through, wheat gets pushed off when the piston re-extends. Place the seed dispenser of the next wheat module immediately below the afore mentioned hopper. (If you need more space between modules just increase the distance between the top module output seed hopper and the dispenser of the next module. Just add a hopper above the dispenser to catch the seeds. Ie. 2 hoppers handling seeds between modules instead of one.)

If you set it up this way you only need to recycle seeds from the last module back to the first. This should save space and resources instead of recycling seeds in each module.
So I took the module I was working on and applied SterlingRed's idea and here is what I got. Built it in creative so you can see the parts and layout easier. I didnt add the elevator and seed sorter at the top yet but wanted to see if someone could improve on this design.
You can only stack 4 in this configuration.
I get about 10 wheat per hour with this setup. The wheat is pushed off the hopper and drops all the way to the collection stream at the bottom. Seeds from each planter are dropped into the dispenser below it.
You only need to replace seeds in the top hopper. The seeds from completely full hopper/dispenser combos and the seeds from the bottom module, drop down and need to be sorted from the wheat.

Here is the stacked modules with mechpower running to all the hoppers.
Spoiler
Show
Here is the basic module. It is 6 wide, 4 deep, and 5 tall. Each hopper has a wicker filter. You should start with a minimum of 4 seeds in each dispenser. You can fill the top dispenser.
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Here are 4 modules stacked with the extended planter positioned above the hopper. Each module is rotated 90 degrees.
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Let me know what you think.
TheGatesofLogic

Husbag3 wrote:I don't know if I'm missing something but can't you just do this:
Spoiler
Show
Just encase it wasn't clear, it is a detector block on the end of the piston.
You forget that a buddy block will detect the detector block turning on AND off, causing 2 pulses and wasting a seed.
Last edited by TheGatesofLogic on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Thanks, I'll see if I can correct it.

EDIT: Fixed it
Spoiler
Show
EDIT 2: The BD contains a pressure plate and a solid block.
EDIT 3: Doesn't work, the torch powers the gear box :(
Last edited by Husbag3 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
TheGatesofLogic

Now that I look at that though there is a lot of extra redstone in my correction of DR's module, I'll try and minimize it.

EDIT: I did it! As compact as physically possible and its even cheaper than before!
here's the design:
Spoiler
Show
The block dispenser has a slab and stone inside it

Currently working on a version that has components opposite the wheat for bonemeal compatability

On a side note this thread has inspired me to do a little more automation in my tanned leather facility, slow going though because of the need for so much moss stone
TheGatesofLogic

Okay I'm officially an idiot.(EDIT: This may actually be true) While screwing around with bonemeal I realized that my whole elevator set up was completely unnecessary (and lame because of the way I took advantage of HC buoy without HC buckets). I realized that using bonemeal and grass planters it is possible to create a rapid seed/flower farm that can filter out the flowers and provide infinite wheat and a secondary source of seeds. The best part is that it can be completely automated if you connect it to a mob trap for bone production. Will test and post this design as soon as I get home
...sorry... just tested this and realized grass planter don't receive bonemeal like dirt planters do... Spoke way too soon
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Well this is my contribution to this thread
Spoiler
Show
Oh and just a note to anyone trying to adapt my old design with the detector and the buddy block, as it turns out, that is a glitch and FC has plans to change it.

Another thing to note is that if you want to use piston tape for that design you can't use a buddy block, this was the main reason I took it off my thread, it ended up being a pretty big failure.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

BlackCat wrote:Oh and just a note to anyone trying to adapt my old design with the detector and the buddy block, as it turns out, that is a glitch and FC has plans to change it.

Another thing to note is that if you want to use piston tape for that design you can't use a buddy block, this was the main reason I took it off my thread, it ended up being a pretty big failure.
Ah, ok. Good to know. By the way, that design looks awesome.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Spoiler
Show
Well, I have a massive problem at the moment which I've been trying to fix, not going into too much detail since it's not BTW related, but after upgrading to windows 8 my fans no longer work on my laptop. This means when I play MC my laptop overheats and shuts down after about 15 minutes.

Until I get this fixed it looks like I'm not going to be playing Minecraft, or any other resource intensive game :'(

When I get back I'll definitely be looking at the designs on this thread, but until then it's goodbye :(
Just fixed my problem (laptop fan not working). Turns out it'd ended up clogged full of dog hair -.-

I'll be studying these designs soon. Thanks guys :)

Got my FULLY automatic FULLY self-sustaining tanned leather farm working :D
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P