RenewaBlock: SkyBlock-style map for Better With Renewables

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Benanov

Re: RenewaBlock: SkyBlock-style map for Better With Renewabl

Post by Benanov »

Psion wrote:So is there any plans on making squids farmable with renewablock, or a way to "create" water source blocks for high cost? <_<;
There is a way. TaterBoy turned some of his aqueduct on Wasteland into a squid farm. It was apparently an absolute bitch to build, but it has nice output and we have ink sacs. (There is exactly one water source block in Wasteland above y=4, it's a stronghold fountain...and he didn't use it. This means you can do the exact same thing.)

As an alternate method, there's always animal crossbreeding, but as it turns out, the resulting builds are quite similar (squids are environment-based, like wolves). You may even be able to put a few animals in breeding harnesses in an eddy or something. As of note, xb'd squids are standard squids and will despawn, so you will want to harvest quickly.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Benanov wrote:There is a way. TaterBoy turned some of his aqueduct on Wasteland into a squid farm. It was apparently an absolute bitch to build, but it has nice output and we have ink sacs. (There is exactly one water source block in Wasteland above y=4, it's a stronghold fountain...and he didn't use it. This means you can do the exact same thing.)

As an alternate method, there's always animal crossbreeding, but as it turns out, the resulting builds are quite similar (squids are environment-based, like wolves). You may even be able to put a few animals in breeding harnesses in an eddy or something. As of note, xb'd squids are standard squids and will despawn, so you will want to harvest quickly.
I built an accidental squid farm on splee's server, the drop rate is pretty amazing. I didn't xbreed them, they just happened to spawn when I got a big enough water area, and since there aren't any other options for them to spawn in the vicinity, I now have over 4 stacks of ink sacks, in less than 30 minutes.

Can I Xbreed squids with other animals once I get any?
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

We do not have plans to include squid as a crossbreed parent as they do not go into romance mode naturally and they are not a scarce animal the way cows or wolves would be on the challenge map. Sheep and pigs are more than enough to get you started with the others added because the breeding code was already in place.
Better is the enemy of Good
Psion

Post by Psion »

I've yet to get a pig :( I can't seem to get carrots. So far i've managed oak saplings, reeds, and pumpkins though. I think that's the last thing I need to get somewhere in crossbreeding animals and advancing in BTW. >_<

Does anyone know if you have to keep a sapling in sapling mode for it to contribute to crossbreeding? or does it need to be a tree? Right now I'm putting a cobble block over each sapling to keep it that way, but I dont know if it matters.

And has anyone figured out what we need for carrots? So far my attempts to crossbreed reeds, pumpkins, and saplings aren't producing any mutants but grass so far. lol

::edit:: just got a melon plant. parents were:
Spoiler
Show
a red rose and a pumpkin plant.
::edit2:: just got a surprise birch plant. parents were:
Spoiler
Show
a melon and an oak sapling
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Yay, finally got carrots, can get back on the progression path! :)

I have gotten through a lot of LP videos getting to this point, redesigned my mob trap twice and gotten to almost 3 stacks of iron. I assume I need a jungle sapling before I can cross-breed vines, so my mob trap will have to remain fairly average for now, as it's the one sapling I don't have.

I think I've spent more time on this map than all my previous skyblock challenges combined, and I'm still in the early stages! :)
Psion

Post by Psion »

out of curiousity, howd you get carrots? that's one crop that's been eluding me. :(
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Psion wrote:out of curiousity, howd you get carrots? that's one crop that's been eluding me. :(
Took me ages but it was just:
Spoiler
Show
wheat and potatoes. Everytime something would sprout I would think, okay this time, but was always just more potatoes or wheat again, but patience won out.
Psion

Post by Psion »

noooo, I don't have any
Spoiler
Show
potatoes
how do I get that? >< I'm thinking maybe melons and pumpkins because they're big and bulky, but I suck at this crossbreeding thing. lol
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Psion wrote:noooo, I don't have any
Spoiler
Show
potatoes
how do I get that? >< I'm thinking maybe melons and pumpkins because they're big and bulky, but I suck at this crossbreeding thing. lol
From one of the comments above they are all related so you should be able to get
Spoiler
Show
wheat, potatoes and carrots from each other, just cross-breed the wheat you have, it might be possible to get carrots before potatoes