How do you light up your base?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Ceunon

How do you light up your base?

Post by Ceunon »

So I've had this world for quite a long time (more than a year, for sure), and I've been slowly building a village-like base on it. What pisses me off is the need to light up EVERYTHING (damned sneaky creepers), and I'm kinda sick of sticking torches to the ground.

So the purpose of this thread is to ask for your designs of lamps and other pretties used to keep your base lit. I've built myself some lampposts and the like, but some of them are too big to fit inside my alleys or even the buildings. Here's an example:
Spoiler
Show
Ignore the unfinished building to the left, it's been like that since forever (the bed has been there since before FC got us rid of them, too). Image
Extreme Boyheat

Re: How do you light up your base?

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

Lighblocks in the ground.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

I use RS Lamps (the vanilla kind, for aesthetics) right above the surface and ring the bottom with stone brick corners and mouldings.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

If you really don't want to see torches all over the place, you can hide them by putting one belowground, then placing a siding on top of it so it looks like a full block (for a sidewalk, for example). The same trick can work around walls, though obviously the ability to do that depends on your architectural style.
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

I believe dirt slabs let light through ;)
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

Or sidings generally.
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
Talrea

Post by Talrea »

netherrack.
no seriusly lol, i used them in the throneroom on top of pilarry things.

for underwater: glowstone or pumpkins if i'm short on glowstone.

for my really really over designed places, redstone lamps set in the ceiling linked to a centraized circuit that runs around the complex.
Whisp

Post by Whisp »

If you only care about how it looks to you, you could also try Battosay's approach.
He modified his pumpkin texture to have cobblestone on top and a tree texture on the side.
That way you can have completely hidden lighting in plain sight.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

I tend to use slabs to prevent spawning instead, but for certain things (a wall for example) I might build a layer of hellfire blocks into and set fire to the side of it.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Pillars will also allow light through. One of my town designs uses roads lined with ruined columns, just a few of which are intact to give the eye something to fill in with. All of them emitting a comfortable glow around the base.

The other one is an axle or fencepost supporting a hopper with a light block on top. Put a junk item in each of the slots in the hopper and the light block switches on.
Better is the enemy of Good
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

DaveYanakov wrote:Put a junk item in each of the slots in the hopper and the light block switches on.
Wow, never even thought of that one!! Genius :D
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I have been partial to jack'o'lanterns in the ground covered with pressure plates or vine traps myself.

In the same vein, I often stick them one block below ground level with a leaf block on top.

Leafs, vines and sometimes wooden pressure plates blend in well with a more naturalistic look, while stone or obsidian plates, or even iron bars or other similar blocks give a colder more industrial feeling.

On a sidenote, a combination of stone/stone brick walls with lava blocks inset one block and covered with an iron bar looks also quite cool.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Utterbob

Post by Utterbob »

I haven't had the time to do it yet but I have been thinking of using lenses to create a spotlight effect. Depends on the area too though since the player can intercept the beam but if done right can certainly create plenty of light and allows the structure supporting that light to be moved away from the tight space.
devak

Post by devak »

My system is generally: lightblocks for generic base lighting and somewhat more aesthetically appealing lights for other stuff (generally: torches for more atmosphere)
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

Pumpkins every 4 blocks in both X & Z directions. I don't mind the disco-floor look. If I don't have pumpkins, torches work.

This system is actually slightly redundant (if you lose a torch you won't get spawns), and I have rules for how to handle buildings, etc...but it works.

You can hide pumpkins under pedestals and light will shine through - which makes for a cool effect in, say, a wall.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

You can also pave over areas with half slabs if you want an area that can be dark without being dangerous. Just make sure to not double any up, double slabs count as a solid block and thus are valid spawning locations.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
AngelWithDirtyHands

Post by AngelWithDirtyHands »

Apparently the half slabs have to be the lower half as well - if they are an 'upper' half slab they will be valid spawning locations too, or so I've been told.
Spoiler
Show
Zen Proclivities wrote:Much obliged to all your devilish details FC.
...except for Hardcore Bucket, that one is a bitch. But such is life, and life says work for it you pussy.
Thyrllann

Post by Thyrllann »

I've been using this design for lamps in my main world (set in a valley in a large biomes extreme hills biome).
I think it looks quite nice:
Spoiler
Show
It's a RS Torch (underground), then a Stone Brick block, a RS Lamp, then a Stone Brick Slab. I tried putting open Trapdoors on the sides of the Lamp, but they didn't look amazing...

[edit] And yes, the skellie died just after I took the second shot ;)
FlowerChild wrote:MCF would probably not approve of "you've got a massive spider-cock stuck in your throat" status effect.