Compact reloading wheat farm?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Pentagram

Compact reloading wheat farm?

Post by Pentagram »

Hey guys, Just wondering how compact can you make a reloading wheat farm?

I'm creating a fully sustainable tanned leather farm (currently in creative to work out space needed and resources needed), and I'm struggling to work out possibly the most simple part... reloading wheat farm.

Also, how many wheat modules do you think I'd need per breeding pair (2) of cows?
Thanks (:
What I have so far
Show
Redstone timer (despawn timer or bio clock with sugarcane) to set off all the trapdoors (4 of them, 5 minutes each stage means 20 minutes of cow growth).
The same pulse goes to dispensers to feed the cows and the wolves
The wolf poop is currently just sitting on a half slab until I get the wheat farm feeding into the cows
(at the top of the map is a layer of wood and then a layer of water... Hardcore bucket :P)

Last edited by Pentagram on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
Eriottosan

Re: Compact reloading wheat farm?

Post by Eriottosan »

Pentagram wrote: I'm struggling to work out possibly the most simple part... reloading wheat farm.
I'd say I'm probably not alone in saying that, really, a fully automatic wheat farm (which is what I think you mean by reloading) is one of the holy grails of automation. I managed it, once, using several guides, and it was a massive system. In my current system, all builds and redstone are to be worked out from my own ingame tinkering, and not using guides, so I doubt it will ever have one.

Good luck!

EDIT: This post by FC may interest you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5424&p=89130&hilit= ... arm#p89130
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Eriottosan wrote:
Pentagram wrote: I'm struggling to work out possibly the most simple part... reloading wheat farm.
I'd say I'm probably not alone in saying that, really, a fully automatic wheat farm (which is what I think you mean by reloading) is one of the holy grails of automation. I managed it, once, using several guides, and it was a massive system. In my current system, all builds and redstone are to be worked out from my own ingame tinkering, and not using guides, so I doubt it will ever have one.

Good luck!

EDIT: This post by FC may interest you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5424&p=89130&hilit= ... arm#p89130
Thanks for that post (: I think it's the elevators I have trouble with most... Never stops in the right place/for long enough :P

Edit: And yeah, by Reloading I mean Fully Automatic.. Takes seeds and puts them back into hoppers.
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Somebody (I think Rawny or Poppycocks) made a auto freight elevator that worked really well. I'd link but I'm on mobile.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
XboxAddict77

Post by XboxAddict77 »

Since this is relevant has FC done anything with the 1.4.6 item elevators with glass and pistons?
Also could you use Hardcore Buoy to lift seeds up after the seeds have been separated by hopper filters
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

XboxAddict77 wrote:Since this is relevant has FC done anything with the 1.4.6 item elevators with glass and pistons?
Also could you use Hardcore Buoy to lift seeds up after the seeds have been separated by hopper filters
1. He reverted collision code for items, so yes
2. Items don't float up downward flowing water, so that won't work either.

The only way to do it is minecarts (a pain to do) or platforms/pulleys.

EDIT: here is the elevator thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3318&hilit=freight+elevator
Get the Deco Addon here!
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Used to use it a long time ago but im not sure what happened to it or if it still works, but there was the archimedes screw... Loved that elevator design!

Here is an outdated links that could prove helpful
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Keep us posted, Pentagram - I'd love to see what you come up with! (: But as I said, it's not a simple task by any means!
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

I will keep you posted, I had to sleep though :P

@dawnraider - thanks for that, I might actually be able to get the elevator working :P (I just read the thread and realised I posted a very loud item elevator on there haha)

@magikeh - thanks, but I was trying to avoid using Archimedes screw.. I find them too loud :P

I'm going to create the wheat farm not attached to the main machine and see how much I can compact it down... I might need some help on that part though :P
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

When I built an auto pottery machine that recycled clay, I found double extended pistons to be very useful to push clay balls onto and off my elevator platform as I was going for a waterless design. They can be made to be fairly compact and if all you need is to move the seeds two spaces horizontally, I highly recommend them.
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

..... I forgot I was going for compact.. haha :P
Spoiler
Show
The first piston isn't always getting the seeds :S
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Update:
Wheat farm working.. I think..
Not compact, but I guess I can hide it somewhere :P Only problem is working out how many I need per breeding pair of cows...

8 Tall
9 Wide
15 Deep
Spoiler
Show
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?bvv1xs45bv127bm
Utterbob

Post by Utterbob »

I had this problem for a while too. There is a really good design here but I have to admit (with some embarisment) that I can't recall who posted it. I know it's in one of the 'post your builds'/'simple designs that get the job done'/'show us your xxxx' type threads but I can't find it at the moment. Will update this post when I have the time to look properly.

Basic concept is 2 rows of planters with a gap in the middle and a 3 wide water flow under that with uneven height change to get the flow towards the centre at the end of the flow - this pushes everything to a single point where an item elevator will lift it. A trigger mechanism (detector block looking at wheat/timer/whatever) causes pistons to retract the planters momenteraly (one tick I think mine is working on) and trigger the BD's at the same time but through a 4-tick repeater. This drops all wheat & seeds into the water and replants.

A cycling item elevator then rases both using detector blocks to toggle a simple flip flop as the elevator reaches the top/bottom - top one also triggers a piston to move the contents off and into the genious part....

.... A piston tape. Set up above the hoppers that are replenishing the BD's and with alternating block & non-full block (e.g. fence post). All seeds & wheat are shoved around with the seeds entering all hoppers but filters preventing the wheat entering. In the last corner before the Wheat would go around for a second lap there is an un-filtered hopper that will collect the Wheat - and eventually, once everything fills up, the excess seeds.

Only draw back is that hoppers are filled in order so you need to manually re-distribute seeds for a while until you start getting them to the end. I had to manually feed in seeds from a gigantic manual farm for quite some time to get enough since I was linking excess to my chicken farm.

EDIT: Oh yeh, it's 2.5 wheat per cow on the basis of 5 min feeding/10 min harvesting. That's if you want to guarentee every cow gets fed every 5 mins. If you can accept a small loss in feeding efficiency then you can drop the wheat count down a bit - I think the guarentee point is actually a little below 2.5 too but I do know it's above 2.2.
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Utterbob wrote:-snip-
Thanks for that. I do want to avoid the manual loading, so I'm using a Dispenser on a turntable to distribute the wheat between a cow pair :P
I can probably tweak it, if you find it. Thanks (:

2.5 wheat per cow, so 3 wheat modules per cow? o.O that's a lot of space, haha.
Utterbob

Post by Utterbob »

Pentagram wrote:
Utterbob wrote:-snip-
Thanks for that. I do want to avoid the manual loading, so I'm using a Dispenser on a turntable to distribute the wheat between a cow pair :P
I can probably tweak it, if you find it. Thanks (:

2.5 wheat per cow, so 3 wheat modules per cow? o.O that's a lot of space, haha.
Sorry I wasn't too clear - it is fully automated, the manual part is just priming. You don't need to do it but if you, let’s say, just planted the initial seeds after building it the ~20 (can't remember the exact number of planters it holds) seeds you get from the first harvest would all fit into the first BD - so after that you are growing 1 wheat at a time until it produces enough seeds to fill the BD and hopper above - then its two at a time until they produce enough to fill the second... in other words it relies on producing more seeds than it uses and having that overflow to cause the seeds to pass to the next hopper.

Some manual priming in its early days reduces this and makes sure its producing wheat from every planter - once you get to the critical mass of seeds it no longer needs or benefits from manual intervention.

EDIT: FOUND IT!! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4689&hilit=wheat&start=200 - about half way down the page in a spoiler - Made by finite8.

Also I use the spacing of the cows to control the distribution, this module out pus all wheat to 1 BD, which is connected to a separate timer that spits out two wheat every 1 min or so (off the top of my head) with a double pulse generation. If the cow aint hungry the water flow takes the wheat to the next one and so on. Whatever the setup though this farm is just designed to produce wheat and seeds and the animals part will have to be separate.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Noir's design thread has a couple 1 wide tileable wheat farms, the full auto is I believe 4x5x1, so you may consider looking there. A bit expensive, mind you, but I have yet to figure out a more compact one (I've tried quite a bit).
Get the Deco Addon here!
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Utterbob wrote: EDIT: FOUND IT!! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4689&hilit=wheat&start=200 - about half way down the page in a spoiler - Made by finite8.

Also I use the spacing of the cows to control the distribution, this module out pus all wheat to 1 BD, which is connected to a separate timer that spits out two wheat every 1 min or so (off the top of my head) with a double pulse generation. If the cow aint hungry the water flow takes the wheat to the next one and so on. Whatever the setup though this farm is just designed to produce wheat and seeds and the animals part will have to be separate.
Thanks, I'll take a look when I'm at home (I'm in college now)
dawnraider wrote:Noir's design thread has a couple 1 wide tileable wheat farms, the full auto is I believe 4x5x1, so you may consider looking there. A bit expensive, mind you, but I have yet to figure out a more compact one (I've tried quite a bit).
Just had a quick look at Noir's thread...
BlackCat wrote:
Spoiler
Show
This is basically a wheat farm module that can be used for semi-automatic wheat farming, seeds need to be manually replaced. Because of the way that block dispensers receive power it is possible to use these for a no waste wheat farm, allowing it to be somewhat self sustaining.

Each module is tillable up to every other block. It will automatically harvest and replant.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

There used to be a full auto one. It must have been taken down. I can post a pic in a few hours once I have access to MC.
Get the Deco Addon here!
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

dawnraider wrote:There used to be a full auto one. It must have been taken down. I can post a pic in a few hours once I have access to MC.
Thanks, it'd be much appreciated (:
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Hi, if you are familiar with Poppycocks's freight elevator, which is not working now due to pistons are not able to push items, I have found a solution. Using the exactly same setup , just replacing the top pistons with BD's (inserting a full block there) it is working properly now. Hope this helps in the reloading part.

EDIT: oh, and you need to put additional blocks on top and sides where the BD would dispense the blocks which will be used to push the items. Otherwise they will pop up on top.

EDIT2: Whoops, looks like I was wrong, the BD setup isn't working either, vanilla behaviour most likely. Just use sticky pistons instead. Got some screens for you.
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

To compact the design, 'tier' your wheat modules so that the seed output of one module supplies the seeds for the next module. This can be done without the use of elevators. If you 'pull' the planter to harvest the wheat place a hopper with a filter directly below it. Seeds go through, wheat gets pushed off when the piston re-extends. Place the seed dispenser of the next wheat module immediately below the afore mentioned hopper. (If you need more space between modules just increase the distance between the top module output seed hopper and the dispenser of the next module. Just add a hopper above the dispenser to catch the seeds. Ie. 2 hoppers handling seeds between modules instead of one.)

If you set it up this way you only need to recycle seeds from the last module back to the first. This should save space and resources instead of recycling seeds in each module.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

dawnraider wrote:Somebody (I think Rawny or Poppycocks) made a auto freight elevator that worked really well. I'd link but I'm on mobile.
It was Poppycocks but you are also kinda right... I built Archimedes screw type fully automated wheat farm and I think I posted it too, so you're not crazy, good brain. Here's the vid I made, its kinda old... WOW a year ago alomst to the day!

Calling it a farm seems quite funny to me.
Spoiler
Show
EDIT: Spoilered and note, REALLY not compact LOL. I'm doubt this build still works cus of buoyancy.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
phamtrinli

Post by phamtrinli »

Here is a video demonstrating the farm that I recently built. The water flow is a bit botched at the end, but it is one solution.

http://youtu.be/qrjfW4T4h-4
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Thanks everyone (:
phamtrinli wrote:Here is a video demonstrating the farm that I recently built. The water flow is a bit botched at the end, but it is one solution.

http://youtu.be/qrjfW4T4h-4
That's awesome! Would it be possible to get a download for that? :S I've no idea what to do with .schematic files haha

Edit: Nevermind, seems it's a MCEdit thingy :D
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I apologize for not having this posted earlier, but RL got busy. This is not exactly Noir's, since I could not replicate it from memory, but it is based off of it. It also cannot load bonemeal.
Spoiler
Show
Note that it must be spaced two between each for mech power.
Get the Deco Addon here!