Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Sarudak »

So they're starting to turn the dispenser into the deployer from RP2? Oh joy... :-/
enzyme_a113_2

Post by enzyme_a113_2 »

All they need to do now is make 10 other variations of the dispenser, add a minecart version of them, and make their textures as similar to each other as possible to promote confusion. Then release 1.5, and forget to fix the bugs.
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

enzyme_a113_2 wrote:All they need to do now is make 10 other variations of the dispenser, add a minecart version of them, and make their textures as similar to each other as possible to promote confusion. Then release 1.5, and forget to fix the bugs.
Woo hoo, sounds like Plan A! Plan B would probably involve going to minecraft forum, find the derpiest suggestion, and implement that instead ^^. If both Plan A and B fail... Ask Dinnerbone for his "expert" suggestion of the day.... if they werent Plan A and B in the 1st place.

I do like that they are trying to beef up the usage of rail systems with more stuff... just for gods sake... use "GOOD" stuff in the 1st place lol... question, anyone tested putting regular tnt next to a minecart track and detonating it? does the track still not blow up? or is it just minecart tnt? (havnt personally used the snapshots). I like the hopper minecart, i like the added feature that it picks up items dropped on the ground as it passes (whether its logical, or not, i think vacuum effect. TNT Minecart? I'll prolly never use it... havn't used a chest minecart in FOREVER, never used a furnace mincart... If they would actually make these things "useful", it would be awesome. Hopper minecart, rather useful, chest minecart, useful, furnace minecart... useless, tnt minecart... outside of anarchy or traps, rather useless... Looks great on paper, but wtf can you really use it for? If it had a longer timer, sure, that would be awesome, most vid's ya see of it, at best it rolls 10 blocks before it blows... really???? I coulda walked over there, planted tnt, lit it, and ran off in less time than it would have taken to make the cart and lay the track and set everything up for that epic waste of time that would leave a non-epic crater... and a rail line behind... yay Mojang.

end rant...
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
coolio678

Post by coolio678 »

Kain Magin wrote:
enzyme_a113_2 wrote:All they need to do now is make 10 other variations of the dispenser, add a minecart version of them, and make their textures as similar to each other as possible to promote confusion. Then release 1.5, and forget to fix the bugs.
Woo hoo, sounds like Plan A! Plan B would probably involve going to minecraft forum, find the derpiest suggestion, and implement that instead ^^. If both Plan A and B fail... Ask Dinnerbone for his "expert" suggestion of the day.... if they werent Plan A and B in the 1st place.

I do like that they are trying to beef up the usage of rail systems with more stuff... just for gods sake... use "GOOD" stuff in the 1st place lol... question, anyone tested putting regular tnt next to a minecart track and detonating it? does the track still not blow up? or is it just minecart tnt? (havnt personally used the snapshots). I like the hopper minecart, i like the added feature that it picks up items dropped on the ground as it passes (whether its logical, or not, i think vacuum effect. TNT Minecart? I'll prolly never use it... havn't used a chest minecart in FOREVER, never used a furnace mincart... If they would actually make these things "useful", it would be awesome. Hopper minecart, rather useful, chest minecart, useful, furnace minecart... useless, tnt minecart... outside of anarchy or traps, rather useless... Looks great on paper, but wtf can you really use it for? If it had a longer timer, sure, that would be awesome, most vid's ya see of it, at best it rolls 10 blocks before it blows... really???? I coulda walked over there, planted tnt, lit it, and ran off in less time than it would have taken to make the cart and lay the track and set everything up for that epic waste of time that would leave a non-epic crater... and a rail line behind... yay Mojang.

end rant...
I totally agree with you. The only real use for tnt carts is to blow up the track, but that's not possible anymore. Also, it's not great for mining, because that's a waste of iron, and unless you're vertically digging, you need to go over and put new track down to continue the explosions. The rails being left behind is kind of cool from a technical standpoint (not sure how hard it was to add) but from a logical standpoint it makes tnt carts even less useful.
0 days without accident
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

coolio678 wrote:The rails being left behind is kind of cool from a technical standpoint (not sure how hard it was to add)
Not at all. It basically come down to a:

if block != rail && block( y + 1 ) != rail

when deciding whether to remove a block.
Conscript Gary

Post by Conscript Gary »

Man, a neat way to handle tnt carts not destroying tracks would have been to have them not destroy any blocks at or below the height of the cart.
Say that the iron cart shapes the blast somewhat, or something. Same intended functionality, and allows for amusing shenanigans with multiple tracks. Oh well.
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

Here is a video of a very small T-Flip Flop and RS-Nor-Latch, using the Dropper, Hopper and Comparator.
Feels like an exploit to me..

What you do guys think?
Spoiler
Show
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
enzyme_a113_2

Post by enzyme_a113_2 »

With the new 'hopper cart', you can make a device that sucks up any item thrown at it (including the sides). Mojang obviously hasn't thought this through...
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

nmarshall23 wrote:Here is a video of a very small T-Flip Flop and RS-Nor-Latch, using the Dropper, Hopper and Comparator.
Feels like an exploit to me..

What you do guys think?
Spoiler
Show
I think that is too many entities, and besides, t-flipflops are more compact with btw and Block dispensers :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

enzyme_a113_2 wrote:With the new 'hopper cart', you can make a device that sucks up any item thrown at it (including the sides). Mojang obviously hasn't thought this through...
I still say vacuum...

Oh, by the way, Minecraft Pocket edition update!!! 0.6...... ::snooooooorrreeeee::

Spoiler
Show
Pocket Edition Update 0.6.0 Submitted

New features:

Signs
Armor
Baby animals
Fancy clouds
Improved D-pad
Stonecutter for crafting stone blocks
Sheep can be colored with dyes
New block types: Netherrack, Nether Brick, Block of Quartz with 2 variants (pillar and chiseled), mossy/cracked Smooth Stone Brick variants (creative only), chiseled/smooth Sandstone variants
New stairs: Nether Brick, Sandstone, Smooth Stone Brick, Quartz
New slabs: Sandstone
New item: Nether Brick (smelted from netherrack and crafted into nether brick tile)
Upside-down stairs, corner stairs
Slabs can be placed in up position (needs testing on small screens)
Sand and Gravel are affected by gravity

Tweaks:

Recipes for crafting slabs give 6 slabs instead of 3
Nether Reactor spawns Netherrack blocks instead of Obsidian
The fog and sky color have changed
The Nether Reactor now spawns more items
Cows drop Leather

Bug fixes:

Melons had several bugs where they would spawn too fast and where they shouldn’t
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
Heightren

Post by Heightren »

A summary of the latest snapshot (it is not my video):
Spoiler
Show
The story of my life...
Sh!t, I don't remember what my life was like!
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

From the MC wiki:
Spoiler
Show
Nerfed bonemeal
No longer gives instant growth - Instead, each use advances one growth stage. Seeds now need 7 bonemeal, saplings need 2.
Gives off green particles when used
Mobs are now scared of minecart tracks
Added a Command feature
Not 100% done yet
Fancy new Scoreboard system.
/scoreboard objectives add <name> <criteriaType> [display name...]
Then do /scoreboard objectives setdisplay sidebar [objective]
Mobs now show their renamed name (using an Anvil) above their head within a certain radius.
Improved double slabs
43:8 will now be the "smooth double slab" and will remain so
Generally: If the top bit is set, the top texture will be used on all sides, also allowing for smooth sandstone blocks (43:9)
Improved dispensers
Now equip players with armour from 1 block away.
They now activate TNT
They now use bonemeal
They now use flint and steel to make fire
Dispensers and droppers can now face all 6 directions
In Creative, you can now hit mobs/players from about 4 or 3 blocks away.
The original range only goes for Survival and Adventure mode.
A few comments:
The bonemeal nerf seems very strange, it's almost like they're going with a middle ground between the BTW solution and theirs. And it still has the same effect on plants; it makes them grow, it's still a point-and-click solution.
Animals afraid of tracks seems nice. Again, are they looking at BTW or is it just me?
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I just watched Doc's updated video and it looks as though they made the fire charge obsolete.
Their attitude seems to be "What have we got that we can make easier?"
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

That is the dumbest concept for a nerf to bonemeal I can imagine. It implies that trees grow faster and easier than wheat...
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

embirrim wrote:From the MC wiki:

Improved dispensers
Now equip players with armour from 1 block away.
They now activate TNT
They now use bonemeal
They now use flint and steel to make fire
Dispensers and droppers can now face all 6 directions
In Creative, you can now hit mobs/players from about 4 or 3 blocks away.
The original range only goes for Survival and Adventure mode.

What. The. Fuck. Is. This?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I don't know how I feel about dispensers putting armor on me. It feels like I'm being molested by invisible hands.
ion

Post by ion »

Sarudak wrote:That is the dumbest concept for a nerf to bonemeal I can imagine. It implies that trees grow faster and easier than wheat...
what you could expect from them. grab an idea from a mod dumb it down or make it overpowered. this is minecraft right now!
Uristqwerty

Post by Uristqwerty »

You've seen the TF2 map? Dispensers equipping armor automatically seems nearly perfect for that sort of setup, where respawning uses a series of command blocks to give each player a class- and team-based loadout. Other arena and minigame maps would also benefit from the change. In survival worlds, it doesn't make as much sense though. (Unless someone built an arena within a survival world.)
azagal73

Post by azagal73 »

Sarudak wrote:I don't know how I feel about dispensers putting armor on me. It feels like I'm being molested by invisible hands.
It sounds like they've been taking hints from Tony Stark on how to put armour on. It still makes no sense for minecraft.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

As cool as it would be to have a Wallace and Gromit-type machine to get ready for adventuring, I'd definitely pass on this feature given the choice. They really need to hire an experienced professional for new features...
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

there is only one good thing i can think of about all these questionable mojang updates. it continually highlights and reinforces just how well thought out and balanced BTW is. i know for sure that if i hadnt goten in the BTW "mind set" some of these new features might seem pretty cool. however since we have BTW to show us another way of doing things, vMC just cant compare.

so while yes all this from mojang is quite frustrating (and many times completly mind boggling) i also think BTW may have spoiled us a bit in terms of expectations. so every time we frown at a mojang feature, we should also take comfort in the fact that we have a BTW solution! i just wish things didnt have to be so hard on FC all the time. after all, to the majority of us he is the saviour of MC, and at this point has far surpased even notch in terms of game design.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I'm admittedly beginning to wonder if someone at Mojang has it out for the mod as part of this whole Forge fiasco.

That may just be paranoia on my part given how much shit has been going on recently, but still...it is beginning to get rather suspicious how many aspects of BTW are beginning to creep into vanilla, and rather poorly done in the process.

Anyways, just a random thought. Please return to the weekly bout of face-palming related to the newest snapshot :)
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

FlowerChild wrote:Please return to the weekly bout of face-palming related to the newest snapshot :)
New signature! :)
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I just wanted to point out my personal face-palm with regards to the following change, lest it be lost amongst all the other worthy candidates:
Mobs are now scared of minecart tracks
I do believe they just made rails a part of every mob trap.

EDIT: And likely every base defense system. Who needs cats or walls when you have rails? Yeah, fuck that noise. That change is destined for the chopping block. It looks like they were trying to come up with their own twist on my altering spawn behavior to keep tracks clear, and totally mucked it up. Plus, the way I do things actually requires additional planning and building on the part of the player in order to keep mobs from wandering onto tracks while their version just makes mobs staying away the default behavior. As far as I can tell, you could just build your rails straight through unlit and unfortified terrain and mobs will stay away. In other words, they just removed the need to build causeways and tunnels as part of a rail network, and replaced the need to build walls around your base with what will be silly looking rail perimeters.

Lame.

EDIT 2: Hela-lame.

EDIT 3: Wow man...uber lame. The more I think about this (I'm still having my morning coffee and waking up so it's only slowly setting in), the more I realize they just wrecked a whole host of aspects of the game with one simple poorly conceived change. I do believe this one takes the cake as being one of Mojang's worst ideas ever.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

It looks to me that Dinnerbone may have taken your advice and played through the mod, or at least gave the MCF topic a cursory read.

Then came the Mojangifying of mod features that get added to vanilla.

When pistons were added, everyone was upset that they would no longer throw entities like the original mod, and that the push strength was so reduced. However in that case it might actually be the only example where they did it right.