Moving bases in Minecraft

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Wafflewaffle

Moving bases in Minecraft

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Im kind of a ragequitter. When i do something i dont like in a minecraft world i generally just delete the world and start over again. That used to happen on the weekly basis. But it has been 4 or so months since BTW made me stick to the same world, and even though im happy about it and can thank FC enough, my base looks like shit! I Built my base completly flat, which means most of my systems cant feed each other and I think im worst with rail systems that I am with redstone (im really bad with redstone).

I've been eyeing this mountain biome not too far from my base for some time now, thinking "man a base there would look awesome", but never building up enough courage to do it. So my question is this:

Do you guys tend to move from your original bases in minecraft? What kind of Biomes do you usually move to?
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Moving bases in Minecraft

Post by FlowerChild »

I have a number of bases in my world, but I usually create them when I want to start over in the tech-tree and give the mod a full play through.

My usual method is to create a nether-rail network out to the middle of nowhere, step through a portal, and start playing wherever the game randomly drops me, so I tend to adapt to whatever terrain I happen to get and build a base that suits it.

I find this leads to a more varied and interesting play experience than if I hand-pick the terrain I'll be starting in.

Anyways, that's my base moving experience, for what it's worth :)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I don't really move my base, I tend to build a tunnel to whatever area I choose and then start building some things I don't have in my previous base(using resources from the previous base but not cleaning it out) and then I end up making all the other things that I've already automated just for ease of access.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

I often do the ragequit, or just outright quit if I dont like something, or if something of epic proportions eff's everything up. Full Base moves? Not always required.
Theres several ways to move to a new area without a completly new setup from scratch.

Theres the Portal method:
  • Build Portal at your original Base, go to where you want new base to be, build portal. Connect the 2 in the nether. Not always easy. But once you do, you then have a shorter route between the 2 to carry supplies to setup base 2

Theres the Overland Method:
  • This is the general purpose, fill inventory with what you think you'll need to setup base2, then walk there. Rinse and Repeate as necessary until you have Base 2 setup. Can be aided by rail's.
Theres the "Start from Scratch" Method: (What FC was talking about)
  • Pretty much, empty inventory of everything except "must have" items, go wherever, start from scratch.
But yea, "normally" if you have a base already existing that you don't like and want to move, you use and abuse it for resources to build a new base. Unless you have reason's to begin BTW over again. You don't just go, "eww ugly, bye now"... its "Well, uhm... Heres a nice paper bag with a hole in it, put it on for now and you can suck my .... for a bit while I make a sandwich"

Personally, I like the Portal method, but I don't just use BTW when I play, I have a map mod where i can place markers to go to.
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

I think my problem just solved itself. I died and Hardcore Respawn sent me somewhere... far away. Then i died again. And after a night full of running from monsters i believe i am officially lost.

Cool thing about it is. I'm cut off from the advanced tools, no idea where i am AND i have an objective now! I want my damn Hibachis i left at my base cuz i dont wanna go hunting Blazes again!

So yeah thx again FC for ruining my steve's life for my own pleasure.

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Wafflewaffle wrote:I think my problem just solved itself. I died and Hardcore Respawn sent me somewhere... far away. Then i died again. And after a night full of running from monsters i believe i am officially lost.

Cool thing about it is. I'm cut off from the advanced tools, no idea where i am AND i have an objective now! I want my damn Hibachis i left at my base cuz i dont wanna go hunting Blazes again!

So yeah thx again FC for ruining my steve's life for my own pleasure.
Lol! You're welcome. I've been really enjoying the new-game feel to dying in my main world since Hardcore Spawning became the default as well :)
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

I move a lot! I tend to make a new one after each major btw release and sometimes in between. I tend to go nomad for as long as resources I take with me lasts, generally trying to stick to travelling in the same direction, minimal building and strictly no gathering of anything and usually it's food or swords which deplete first. When that happens, I build a base and start over again! Keep meaning to do this in the nether, take enough obsidian and a lighter - the only thing stopping me is the thought that it will essentially give my new base a free portal, quite an advantage early on.

I do make it a priority to build rail links back to old bases, I like to visit them and see how much my redstone technique and automation has improved and how my aesthetic skill has developed! I've had it in the back of my mind to create a little exe which lists chunks containing say > 1000 blocks of cobblestone and allows me to choose ones to degrade - then runs an algorithm which "weathers" structures which aren't naturally occuring (Using a perlin noise generator to remove blocks) and removes all torches - so when I revisit my old bases, they are ruins and infested with mobs :) Love the thought of having to retake my old bases and defeat my own defences, restart my machinery etc!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

That happened to me yesterday, hopefully I died in the nether so I didn't lose any stuff, but it took me a good 30 minutes to find what I needed to make a compass and head back to my base. I was even tempted to start a new one on the spot ^^
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Yeah guys i can say it now. Moving bases is fun and unexpectedly. I got in contact with some BTW features that i have yet to play around, ranging from screw pumping water to my new base, lots of hardcore spawn and some interesting effects chickens have when passing through the nether. Lets just say i sharded my pants a little and had to rebuild some of my new base.

Thx FC, most of this stuff wouldnt be possible if it weren't for your sick and perverted mind.

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Wafflewaffle wrote:Thx FC, most of this stuff wouldnt be possible if it weren't for your sick and perverted mind.
Lol! Thanks man...and here's a big "up yours" to all those high-school teachers that considered it a liability ;)
johnt

Post by johnt »

This makes me think it might be fun to have a mechanic in minecraft that eventually forces bases to be abandoned and salvaged, like the "fun stuff" in Dwarf Fortress.
ion

Post by ion »

i try to always play in a big hill biome. but i build villages around from my base just for fun. mostly i go with very few items and start the tech tree from scratch. nether is your best way to fast travel around. for rails i'm setting up a rail station. where you can choose where you want to go with a push of the button. more options bigger the rail selector. if you want more i have some schematics around for one push rail stations
skavenhorde

Post by skavenhorde »

Just starting and built my first windmill plus a cozy cottage and was starting on a tower of power/cloud tower when I fell off the scaffolding around my windmill (didn't know you couldn't have a roof way above it and was fixing it). Needless to say I died and was transported to god knows where. My respurces, my farms and my huge quarry to the center of the earth to gather resources when needed....all gone cause I couldn't find my way back. LOVE IT!!!!!!

Not as harsh as erasing your game and starting over again, but almost. There is no way I will find that base again, but still a chance.....I looked I have no clue where I am. I died three times just trying to find it, but you know wha, who cares? It was an awesome fist attempt, but I made a lot of mistakes. Now I will build a better mine, better cottage and make my towere that Raistlin himself would approve of or at least Rincwind.

Got a plan on making the unseen university this time around now that I have a better understanding of the vanilla and BTWs mechanics.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

johnt wrote:This makes me think it might be fun to have a mechanic in minecraft that eventually forces bases to be abandoned and salvaged, like the "fun stuff" in Dwarf Fortress.
Something like that was partially implemented in Thaumcraft 2 with the corruption mechanic - If you overdid your "magic industrialization" without taking it into account, you might pretty easily end up creating an unlivable area for yourself.

Generally though, I tend to not move bases, more likely, I will end up building outposts and finding some way of connecting them all together, either via overland rails or nether pathways. "Moving bases" implies that you want to move your entire facility, or recreate it all anew, something that I find is not always necessary, provided of course, that the hassle of travelling between outposts is minimized, and that you still spend a bit of time around the automated facilities.