Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
dawnraider

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by dawnraider »

Something interesting I found:
Chuck a stack of items all at once into this setup while standing in the iron bars:
Spoiler
Show
This is what comes out:
Spoiler
Show
Looks like each hopper grabs the items at least twice while they sit on top, which all 8 stacks get put into the dispenser. Really Mojang?
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
dr_spindizzy

Post by dr_spindizzy »

I thought this was really sweet: http://dinnerbone.com/blog/2013/01/06/s ... nd-bukkit/

I know that DB and others may lack some experience compared to FC, but I think his attitude is excellent. I'm hopeful for the future.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

dr_spindizzy wrote:I thought this was really sweet: http://dinnerbone.com/blog/2013/01/06/s ... nd-bukkit/

I know that DB and others may lack some experience compared to FC, but I think his attitude is excellent. I'm hopeful for the future.
Summary please? I don't have time to go through a giant wall of text like that.
Get the Deco Addon here!
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

dawnraider wrote:Summary please
The title of that post pretty much sums it up: "The story of the bone and the bukkit"
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Well I got that, just a more in-depth one. I'll read it though once I do have time.
Get the Deco Addon here!
finite8

Post by finite8 »

This is what has pissed me off:

Comparator. I get its redstone function. What i don't get is why when you put it next to a chest, it magically becomes a filled capacity detector. Why the hell haven't they made a special "Weighted Chest" that is made with a Weight plate instead? That would make a fuck load of more sense than the way it works now. I would wait until they officially release it, but there is no way they are going to change that.

I give up. I've lost so much faith and motivation right now.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

finite8 wrote: Comparator. I get its redstone function. What i don't get is why when you put it next to a chest, it magically becomes a filled capacity detector. Why the hell haven't they made a special "Weighted Chest" that is made with a Weight plate instead? That would make a fuck load of more sense than the way it works now. I would wait until they officially release it, but there is no way they are going to change that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly. We have trapped chests that have an overly specific limited use as a separate block, a comparator function that incorporates that use (and others) in allowing you to trap chests in an interesting way, and that function is rolled into gameplay in such a way as to have no real in-game justification. They could have instead rolled that functionality it into the trapped chest block (calling it a weighted chest or something else), made it much more general purpose in the process, and preserved suspension of disbelief.

Same blockID usage, same functionality at any real practical level, and waaaaay more immersive.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Oh. here's a new problem. I already knew that the Comparator relays the signal with no delay (some people have created an infinite loop using this thus locking up the game. lolz), but it also forces a block update every tick in front of it. Enough of these and your FPS / Server CPU load is gonna hurt!

edit: They fixed that bug.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

dawnraider wrote:Something interesting I found:
Chuck a stack of items all at once into this setup while standing in the iron bars:
Spoiler
Show
This is what comes out:
Spoiler
Show
Looks like each hopper grabs the items at least twice while they sit on top, which all 8 stacks get put into the dispenser. Really Mojang?
Playing with the latest snapshot, I can confirm the vhopper doubling items thrown on top of it even when by itself, with no other blocks around it. Throw in one item, two appear in hopper inv. Throw in a stack, two stacks appear. Occasionally it doesn't happen though...

EDIT: As for the inventory interface changes, I'm liking them. I have wanted an easy way to split up items in the crafting table when crafting storage blocks for a long time now, and the way they've done it actually works quite nicely.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Siege Wizard

Post by Siege Wizard »

finite8 wrote:This is what has pissed me off:

Comparator. I get its redstone function. What i don't get is why when you put it next to a chest, it magically becomes a filled capacity detector. Why the hell haven't they made a special "Weighted Chest" that is made with a Weight plate instead? That would make a fuck load of more sense than the way it works now. I would wait until they officially release it, but there is no way they are going to change that.

I give up. I've lost so much faith and motivation right now.
That makes sense, and also would give me a reason to craft weight preasure plates. Iron could only count inventory slots while gold could count inventory items instead. Maybe is a nice day to start learning to mod minecraft to make this two chests. Can any modder tell me if i would be able to use the same ID for the 3 chests (tramp, golden preasure and iron preausre) and maybe some more inventories? And, taking this ability from the comparator would be code-invasive?

S.W.
Targ3tdummy

Post by Targ3tdummy »

Apperantly the trap chest is acually worse to use in a trap setup than a normal chest with a comparator hooked up to it. A trap chest can be emptied with a vHopper without opening it, where a comparator connected chest would acually detect the loss of items.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I think Dinnerbone hints at a TNT minecart (look at the bottom left corner):
Spoiler
Show
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
ScubaPlays

Post by ScubaPlays »

Added marble looking blocks (calling them quartz): https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/288311932304371712
Spoiler
Show
Psion

Post by Psion »

Now, I will admit, those do look rather nice. :P

(our pillars are cooler though.)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Well, there go any complaints I had about the stuff being common as hell.

It works out well too, since white stone is a great material for nether builds.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

ScubaPlays wrote:Added marble looking blocks (calling them quartz): https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/288311932304371712
Spoiler
Show
I'm super glad to have something nice to say about a mojang feature ! It really does look neat !
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Have to hand it to them that they did a great job on those blocks. Now if only they could get that shiny feel to it that the floors in heaven in Diablo 3 had... I'd never build with anything else anymore :P
CrafterOfMines57

Post by CrafterOfMines57 »

ScubaPlays wrote:Added marble looking blocks (calling them quartz)
I have to take my opinion of them not trying anymore back then, those do look rather nice, and they didn't end up being the complete whitestone copy I thought they would be.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sigh. Dinnerbone just got asked this question via twitter:
Dinnerbone, I need a answer. Why doesn't Minecraft feel like it did before 1.8? :(
His response?
Because it was a new game to you then, and you're experienced with it now.
Here's to being oblivious about the impact your own decisions are having.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

Dinnerbone posted an interesting picture. It seems that mob spawners can now be placed in minecarts. As a warning, the picture is quite large.

Link to the post for those that want it.
Spoiler
Show
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Gormador wrote: I'm super glad to have something nice to say about a mojang feature ! It really does look neat !
Yes the pearl like color looks really good but getting another easy to use aesthetic feature is kinda disappointing. FC's marble synthesis makes the act of constructing a wall out of white marble feel like a real achievement when it's complete. Having this stuff seems like it might make getting FC's marble less of a reward.
Psion

Post by Psion »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:
Gormador wrote: I'm super glad to have something nice to say about a mojang feature ! It really does look neat !
Yes the pearl like color looks really good but getting another easy to use aesthetic feature is kinda disappointing. FC's marble synthesis makes the act of constructing a wall out of white marble feel like a real achievement when it's complete. Having this stuff seems like it might make getting FC's marble less of a reward.
Eh, not necessarily. FC isn't ashamed to rip out stuff that clashes with BTW, he could probably do something like changing the recipe of quartz to use say, nethersludge along with quartz, and change the blocks of quartz to rose quartz blocks or something. (terribly bad example, but you get what i mean.) I'm sure if he doesn't like it, he'll know how to handle it. :p
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

Padfoote wrote:Dinnerbone posted an interesting picture. It seems that mob spawners can now be placed in minecarts. As a warning, the picture is quite large.

Spoiler
Show
Bollocks to that.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Extreme Boyheat wrote:
Padfoote wrote:Dinnerbone posted an interesting picture. It seems that mob spawners can now be placed in minecarts. As a warning, the picture is quite large.

Spoiler
Show
Bollocks to that.

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if that's just a 'can I render [generic block] in a minecart' test. After all, I heavily doubt we'll suddenly be able to pick up spawners, use in minecarts or otherwise.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Spoiler
Show
Seems like a feature implemented specifically for Sethbling.