Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gears

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Gears »

Nether bricks? Yep, smelt netherrack in the furnace to get one nether brick item, then placing them in a 2x2 square on the crafting grid. There could have been worse ways, I guess.

Also, this "Nether Quartz"... I guess it's adding a reason to do extensive mining in the nether, even if its just usable in two recipes.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Honestly, compact designs aside, I tend to build more piston BUDs than I do Buddys. They might be larger, but being both more configurable and being multi-block constructs are both good things in my eyes.

My issue is that instead of being given tools to create a system, we're being given the systems themselves. Analogue daylight detectors are...ok I suppose, but make the recipe more expensive, and make it so that they're simply on/off at particular light levels (something low, like 5) would mean that you would have the choice of building one for a cheap day/night detector, or an array of them for more expensive, accurate analogue output. It's just a waste really. Why build a central hub for controlling your town's lighting system when you can build light switches every 10 blocks?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Panda

Post by Panda »

I feel like the vmc hopper is going to be like the dead weight in btw, hmm whats is gonna be renamed? Dung funnle? Road cone? Dead wieght 2.0 or maybe copycat block?
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

My main issue with vanilla BUDs, and what was primarily responsible for the creation of the Buddy Block is that they all inevitably represent exploits based on existing bugs.

However, the mechanic they represent is both valid and leads to cool automation designs. They are in no way simple to use, even as a single compact block.

So, much like with vine traps, they were my attempt to legitimize cool emergent gameplay which was previously based on exploits. Would they be better were they only to detect perceptible visual changes? Of course, and I've already made a number of changes to the way several blocks update (chests and trees for example) to bring them more towards that ideal.

The tricky part is that the underlying code-base was never really written with block updates having this kind of detectable aspect to them, so that's where the metagamey aspect starts creeping into it.

And yeah, there's definitely a lot of thought that will be required on my part as to how to adapt BTW or what to rip out of vanilla with all these coming changes to vMC that obviously interfere with the mod's design.

It's still too fresh and uncertain for me to make any hard decisions however. Will have to wait and see.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Minecraft Snapshot 13w01a
http://www.mojang.com/2013/01/minecraft ... ot-13w01a/

Code: Select all

Welcome to a new year of snapshots! This is the first snapshot that contains features for the coming Redstone Update.
Redstones circuits are more consistent and pistons should be more stable
Added the Redstone Comparator block (this replaces the Capacitor we talked about at Minecon)
Added the Daylight Detector block
Added a Hopper block (still work in progress)
Added a chest that activates redstone
Added weighted pressure plates that detect item stacks
Added Block of Redstone block (works as a pushable redstone torch)
Added a new ore to the Nether
Added a Nether Brick item for crafting Nether Brick blocks
A whole bunch of other stuff… Try for instance double-clicking items, or drag-placing them, in the inventory

Get the snapshot here:
Client: http://assets.minecraft.net/13w01a/minecraft.jar
Server: http://assets.minecraft.net/13w01a/minecraft_server.jar (or EXE)

Report bugs here:
Minecraft issue tracker!

// The Minecraft Team
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

From the MC wiki changelog:
-Holding down the left and right mouse buttons and dragging when holding an item now splits the items across the boxes you dragged over. Left button splits them equally across the boxes and leaves the remainder in your hand. Right mouse button drops them one by one as you drag.
-Double-clicking an item stacks as much of that item in your inventory as possible (up to a full stack) and picks it up without stacking any other loose stacks together.
-Double-shift-clicking an item in a chest moves all of that item into your inventory neatly stacked into as few stacks as possible. The opposite is also true, moving all the items to the chest in as few stacks as possible.
Ok...they're getting totally out of control with the interface.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Versi ... t_versions

Here's the new nether ore btw:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Nether_Quartz
Fatburger3

Post by Fatburger3 »

vMC is adding hoppers. FML and Nether Brick FML. And I was gonna make a mod that replaces redstone with copper nuggets(Copper blocks, ingots, ore, nuggets) and they added redstone blocks......FML. Mojang is a homo.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fatburger3 wrote:Mojang is a homo.
Yeah...goodbye Mr. Troll/bigot/idiot.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

FlowerChild wrote: Here's the new nether ore btw:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Nether_Quartz
"So....this nether quartz can detect light and transmit different redstone currents and detect them too but only sometimes? Okay, makes sense. Let's add that."
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Itamarcu wrote: "So....this nether quartz can detect light and transmit different redstone currents and detect them too but only sometimes? Okay, makes sense. Let's add that."
You're also not mentioning the initial "we have a bunch of ores in our game that don't actually have many uses, so let's add a new one on which to base this new functionality" that leads up to that ;)

Gold and lapis would have worked perfectly well here IMO.

Granted...it will be nice to have something to stumble upon while tunneling through the Nether, as that aspect has always been very much lacking from the Nether pretty much since it was added to the game. Here's hoping they don't make it so common as to be irrelevant.

I don't have much hope there mind you, as even if they do make in relatively uncommon the bitching teenagers will inevitably get them to change that ;)

EDIT: Heck, if it were up to me, I'd probably only have it exist immediately under lava lakes in the Nether as that would create some cool Nether-specific mining action that would require a little thought on the part of the player to pull off.
abominare

Post by abominare »

FlowerChild wrote:
Itamarcu wrote: "So....this nether quartz can detect light and transmit different redstone currents and detect them too but only sometimes? Okay, makes sense. Let's add that."
You're also not mentioning the initial "we have a bunch of ores in our game that don't actually have many uses, so let's add a new one on which to base this new functionality" that leads up to that ;)

Gold and lapis would have worked perfectly well here IMO.

Granted...it will be nice to have something to stumble upon while tunneling through the Nether, as that aspect has always been very much lacking from the Nether pretty much since it was added to the game. Here's hoping they don't make it so common as to be irrelevant.

I don't have much hope there mind you, as even if they do make in relatively uncommon the bitching teenagers will inevitably get them to change that ;)

I'll bite the bullet here. quartz (well quartz fiber) is actually useful in particle physics in detecting light levels. While they probably got lucky on a guess, it actually makes some sense. In fact you can find quartz components in most store bought light detectors. Additionally if they go the right of more timing-esque red stone blocks quartz is a really good logical component.

While their tech progression isn't as well thought out as yours FC, the use of a nether ore like this makes a progression statement, one of the first to be attributed to a dinnerbone lead MC i mgiht add. Either you use more complicated circuitry setup or you develop to the nether level tech and get access to easier ways to accomplish those tasks.
Last edited by abominare on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarrboros

Post by Scarrboros »

Unfortunately quartz is extremely common right now. They are probably not going to become less frequent in the feature either.

I like the vanilla hopper... for vanilla. For BTW it is inferior. That's only for now though, but I can't see it be close to as good as the BTW hopper.

Still I think this is one of the best snapshots in a while.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

A little bit of "We really liked how these kind of mechanics worked in other mods like BTW" wouldn't have hurt them. I feel sorry for you FC. These are your good ideas and designs that are now being butchered and bastardized by Jeb and Dinnerbone.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Maybe you can just give them permission and they can revert all their dumb changes and just integrate BTW into vMC since that's what they seem to be trying to do in their own poor sad little way? For a 'small' fee I mean. And then you can use the money to start your own studio and blow minecraft out of the water with return to home. :D

Ok not really but it's a fun thought.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Sarudak wrote:Maybe you can just give them permission and they can revert all their dumb changes and just integrate BTW into vMC since that's what they seem to be trying to do in their own poor sad little way? For a 'small' fee I mean. And then you can use the money to start your own studio and blow minecraft out of the water with return to home. :D

Ok not really but it's a fun thought.
A very appealing one for sure. But sadly you're right "not really" ...

I don't understand why Mojang seems to thinks that people worlds are disposable. It is absolutely beyond me.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to ask one of the Mojang team if the vanilla hopper was inspired by the BTW hopper. I'm sure that could develop into FC having some kind of influence on how vanilla progresses.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

To be honest, given how the hopper seems to function I'd guess it's more inspired by the build/industrialcraft(?) version; the smaller inventory and automatic dispensing and all. That and they're both ugly as sin.

Remember, the forge stuff is far more visable, as it's a far more public community than ours. While BTW might be the parent of some of the ideas they implement, there is comparatively little youtube/twitch stuff showcasing it compared to the cheap knockoffs mod pack content.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Yep, especially now that Grumm is playing on the forgecraft server. (well, it's been a couple months now I think)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

Oh great. Nether Quartz.

And here I was researching flint, finding it's a form of quartz that's just impure with silver compounds.... bah, I'll go ahead with this mod add-on anyway. Gives me an excuse to learn Java again until MC Pi Edition comes out...
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Buildcraft hopper doesn't collect items though, its only use is a buffer inventory, so vanilla hopper iscloser to BtW one.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Oh Dear. It appears Dinnerbone directly opposes automation (in his head at least).

https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/2 ... 7276522496
Dinnerbone wrote:I agree that too much automation does not suit vanilla. We're not going to add anything that plays the game for you.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
MrLemon

Post by MrLemon »

The hopper is very likely from BTW, IIRC FC said he specifically asked Dinnerbone to look at it and consider it as an alternative to the Allocator style method of item collection.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

finite8 wrote:Oh Dear. It appears Dinnerbone directly opposes automation (in his head at least).
I don't really see it that way. Heck, even I would make that same statement about vanilla or BTW. Look at my stance on auto-crafting and such, and the difficulty I incorporate into achieving all forms of automation, and how I always leave some tasks as manual at each tech level, and you'll see that the above could very easily represent an ideology similar to my own.

In fact, that statement could sum up quite well the design difference between BTW and many other "tech mods".
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote: EDIT: Heck, if it were up to me, I'd probably only have it exist immediately under lava lakes in the Nether as that would create some cool Nether-specific mining action that would require a little thought on the part of the player to pull off.

Why are you doing this to us man, giving us cool ideas on how some features could work when clearly that ore is (in the snapshot at least) so abundant that it is irrelevant. You find it on the god damn surface.

I actually agree that too much automation is bad, especially for vMC. But automated item collection is the holy grail of automation, and the first necessary step. So, the vMC hoppers do not auto collect items on their top surface from what I understand? If so, they are not really useful, except in very specific situations..

Oh, and while the vmc light detector is ugly as hell, I like the analogue output a lot. This analogue aspect makes it hard to decide what is redundant in BTW and what not though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention that, I love the new ui additions and short-cuts, mc can get very tedious click-wise, and anything they can do to help with that is welcome.
Last edited by MoRmEnGiL on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
RedNoob

Post by RedNoob »

FlowerChild wrote:From the MC wiki changelog:
-Holding down the left and right mouse buttons and dragging when holding an item now splits the items across the boxes you dragged over. Left button splits them equally across the boxes and leaves the remainder in your hand. Right mouse button drops them one by one as you drag.
-Double-clicking an item stacks as much of that item in your inventory as possible (up to a full stack) and picks it up without stacking any other loose stacks together.
-Double-shift-clicking an item in a chest moves all of that item into your inventory neatly stacked into as few stacks as possible. The opposite is also true, moving all the items to the chest in as few stacks as possible.
Ok...they're getting totally out of control with the interface.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Versi ... t_versions
Well they make things much more complicated... but imho this will make things faster for those who can deal with the new functionality ang i guess we will all become accustomed to this quickly ;)
And btw I personaly think this change is much better then this inutil complication of redsone funktionality. I still don't get the point with the different power levels of redstone... but we'll see!