First Person Shooter

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
logorouge

First Person Shooter

Post by logorouge »

Just a quick survey to see if we have some FPS players in the community and more specifically, I'm interested in knowing if team-based multiplayer FPS games are something that the community consider fun.

Personally, I'm a fan of this kind of games but I'm not the competitive type, so I tend to play just for fun with friends/friendly randoms and to try all the weapons/equipment combos.

What about you, fellow BTW players?

Edit:

Step 2: What are your opinions on Section 8: Prejudice? (Steam page, gameplay commentaries)
Last edited by logorouge on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
8bitBob

Re: First Person Shooter

Post by 8bitBob »

Team Fortress 2. All day erryday.

Like you I'm not hugely into competitive stuff (because it interferes with me being a gigantic hipster with my loadouts) and TF2 is a fantastic game to just drop in and play. Because there's no matchmaking it's easy to find servers around your skill level, while still having dedicated servers to make getting into the game easier.

Did I mention it's entirely free for forever?
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I've been playing a bit of Planetside 2 lately. When there's no planned ops going on, the outfit I'm in usually has at least a squad (12 people), and our raid nights tend to bring at least a hundred people or so, all split up into different divisions and coordinating with other outfits that do similar things. So, yeah, I'd say that I enjoy team-based FPS games.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Well, I played the shit out of Rainbow Six Vegas 2, L4D1 and Nazi Zombies from CoD WaW.

I also love the first battlefield game, CoD 1+2 and of course quake 3, specially crazy CtF maps.

Thing is, at this point of my life, my endurance is not what it used to be, and I get tired and dizzy very easily :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I've been playing CoD on the console for the past three years, and I usually find a clan so that we can make a party, get in a lobby, and have fun. IMHO, any FPS is better with friends than random strangers.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Mass Effect 3. Yay for coop. I can't deal with the steep learning curve of FPS. I never could master "the twitch".
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Currently playing Planetside 2 as well, enjoying it for now. :) Quite a fan of Battlefield, and Black ops for giggles. I like teamplay effort, for me Black ops is just a random "run around and shoot for giggles" game. :P (my own opinion)
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

Used to just about only play FPS
CoD 1+expansion, modern warfare 1+2, battlefield bad company 2. But i would always wind op letting other people get the best of me. My speed and mouse control was always pretty good but for some reason i am/was always pretty tired so reacting to late. So yeah most of the time my neighbours knew i was playing the game as well :/
So i switched to some more relaxed games and coop shooters and stuff, but i do miss the real FPS multiplayer action. Trying to predict what other people do and how others moved was always something i liked, AI is to damn predictable.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

8bitBob wrote:(because it interferes with me being a gigantic hipster with my loadouts)
I guess that makes two of us then. "AK-47s are so mainstream." :P
FaceFoiled wrote:[...] for me Black ops is just a random "run around and shoot for giggles" game. :P (my own opinion)
And I share your opinion. Some "run & gun" action is always fun.
Thieme wrote:but i do miss the real FPS multiplayer action.
Well, would you consider coming back into the action if it was in a relaxed/friendly way?

Thanks for all the replies, guys. It was actually a bit more positive than what I expected. So I guess I can go ahead with Step 2.
Step 2: What are your opinions on Section 8: Prejudice? (Steam page, gameplay commentaries)
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

logorouge wrote:Step 2: What are your opinions on Section 8: Prejudice? (Steam page, gameplay commentaries)
"You already own Section 8®: Prejudice™"

Apparantly I already have it, don't recall every playing it though. :P
8bitBob

Post by 8bitBob »

logorouge wrote:Step 2: What are your opinions on Section 8: Prejudice? (Steam page, gameplay commentaries)
Heh, I was actually really hyped about this release. Followed it for months, and when it released early for the xbox my heart broke. Then I bought a copy because a friend said he wanted to try it out.

Friend never did, it collected dust on my hardrive and I never bought the PC version due to... I don't remember.

How's the community these days, stagnant or thriving? Kinda tempted to pick it up.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

8bitBob wrote:Heh, I was actually really hyped about this release. Followed it for months [...]
Funnily enough, I barely even heard of this game until just a few days ago. But then it was randomly mentioned in a conversation and when I was watching the commentary video I linked earlier, I saw a fun game. Bought it, tried it, liked it.
8bitBob wrote:How's the community these days, stagnant or thriving? Kinda tempted to pick it up.
Stagnant I'm afraid. That's why I decided to try and do a bit of necromancy to bring some life back into the game. As long as there is some servers up, I can just bring enough players to fill the teams, add a few bots if necessary and have fun. Considering the current price of the game (around 3$), I thought now was a good time to try it. Not to mention, the veterans will be quite happy to see some new blood.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

I've been pretty absorbed into tf2 lately. Before, I had collected the majority of the strange weapons, and regular matches were getting a bit stale. Then, I quit for ~4 months, and it's like crack again :)
Thieme

Post by Thieme »

logorouge wrote:
Thieme wrote:but i do miss the real FPS multiplayer action.
Well, would you consider coming back into the action if it was in a relaxed/friendly way?
I seem to be unable to do that :/
Dunno why but i usually get frustrated even if i know it is relaxed/friendly. It is kinda stupid but meh I should really try it sometimes still have an origin account with BF3 bought it played it for 10 minutes got annoyed never started it again. Talk about wasting money :P
I finished far cry 3 yesterday after buying it in the sales. Must say that was pretty good and fun. Immersion FTW!
Gareleus

Post by Gareleus »

I can say that I am going to pickup the game off steam (Section 8), and I hope to see you guys in there, honestly seems like a great game that just didn't sell.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Thieme wrote: I seem to be unable to do that :/
That's too bad. But you can't force fun after all. Good to hear you still had fun with FarCry 3 though.
Gareleus wrote:I can say that I am going to pickup the game off steam (Section 8), and I hope to see you guys in there, honestly seems like a great game that just didn't sell.
Cool. But be aware that Section 8 and Section 8 Prejudice are two different games, so we might not encounter each other online after all. :P
Gareleus

Post by Gareleus »

Gareleus wrote:I can say that I am going to pickup the game off steam (Section 8), and I hope to see you guys in there, honestly seems like a great game that just didn't sell.
Cool. But be aware that Section 8 and Section 8 Prejudice are two different games, so we might not encounter each other online after all. :P[/quote]
Sorry I am confused, I bought the game you linked to in the previous posts, the one on the Steam Webpage. Wasn't aware of the other game. :P
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Gareleus wrote:Sorry I am confused, I bought the game you linked to in the previous posts, the one on the Steam Webpage. Wasn't aware of the other game. :P
Oh, then you bought the right one. Sorry about the confusion. Feel free to add me on Live or Steam (I use "Logorouge" everywhere). Whenever I'm not at work, I'll be happy to get some matches going. :)
Gareleus

Post by Gareleus »

Okay after spending what amounted to a half hour of wasted time today and a full hour yesterday trying to sort out the Windows Live account business, I have been thoroughly driven to insanity, after repeatedly being shown links that basically seemed to say: "Do you have a Windows Live Account" I say No because I am creating one and they point me over to a new site telling me "If you have Xbox live you already have an Windows Live account, If you don't have Xbox Live sing up here!"

What I am trying to get at is this: Do I need an Xbox live account to play a game on my computer and if not how in the hell do you create an account because everytime I think I made progress it sends me to a page to enter my parental email address, which I don't have because they never told me I had to make that so now I have apparently an unactivated WL account for kids and no idea how to make a parental account to activate it, and on top of that Windows tech support sites as expected are friggin useless. /end rant/

I know I am missing something blindingly obvious but I would rather face public humiliation for being an idiot than have wasted my money even if it was only 3ish dollars, it is a matter of principle that I don't waste money.

I am afraid that I will be unable to play until this is sorted out and I will continue banging my head against the wall until someone pulls me aside to show me the door.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Here's how it went for me:

My email address is on Hotmail aka Live from Microsoft.
To play with my roommate on console, I went to create an Xbox Live account which ended up being hooked to my email, since it's all Microsoft's stuff anyway.
And finally, when I tried to start playing a PC "game for windows live" (Bulletstorm), I realized I could just use the same account infos to login.
So, the way I understand it, if you have a Microsoft account for any of those services, you already have access to all of them, using the same login.

On the other hand, if it's the first time you need to use a Microsoft service, I guess you could just create an email with them and be done. In theory. :P
Gareleus

Post by Gareleus »

Well I went to hotmail and upon finishing loading it showed me as already bring logged in, weird because i don't have a hotmail, upon further exploration my account that a hastily made was synced up to that. So I have the account but apparently I need a LIVE gamertag. Going to look into that now any help would be useful.

--SOLVED--
Gareleus

Post by Gareleus »

Sorry for the Double-Post but... I have everything working and because I am more familiar with Steam Logorouge, I will add you there. My screen name is Garrett (coincidentally also my real name). I am going to assume that because the accont in question with your Screen name is affiliated with BTW that it is infact yours.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Nice! Yep, I saw the invite this morning while checking the sales on Steam. Looks like we're all set. :)

To others that might be reading this, if you want to play with us just post here, even if you don't have the game and we'll make it happen.

Arg, almost time for work. See you online soon.