Possible Steam Linux graphical glitch

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
STrRedWolf

Possible Steam Linux graphical glitch

Post by STrRedWolf »

This is rather odd... but...

Running on a updated last week Gentoo install in Linux, have Steam Linux native working on it. Have it active and a window up and running. Latest Oracle Java 1.6 installed, and a freshly installed MC BTW instance. NVidia Geforce 260M, using latest drivers (although they may be the beta drivers, not sure).

I go into my world, and every half minute or so it has a momentary (like a frame or two) graphical glitch like the frame didn't map in memory properly.

The funny thing is, it doesn't happen with vanilla MC ( I just checked), and it doesn't happen if I'm not running Steam.

I have a Ubuntu install on another laptop, using Intel/Nvidia combo graphics, so I'll check if there's a problem there and see if I can isolate it to the NVidia graphics drivers as well. So far the main suspects is Steam and BTW Minecraft.
Benanov

Re: Possible Steam Linux graphical glitch

Post by Benanov »

As someone who runs Minecraft w/ BTW on Debian Linux...

Nvidia drivers... *spits* well, they'll do the job for those who want their hardware to work, and for people who think binary drivers are "just fine" (translation: they haven't been burned by binary drivers yet.) I can think of a few things that the binary drivers just don't really get right off the top of my head.

Steam is a pile of DRM, runs as root, and I won't use it. Update scripts are also sloppily coded and it seems to want to be installed for all users, so my usual course of advice is out (make a different user and see if the problem goes away)

Short version is it could be either Steam or an interaction between the Steam overlay and the Nvidia drivers. Either way, it's going to be curtains for Steam as you won't get 3D accel at all without the binary drivers...unless you're very very lucky and the nouveau drivers actually work well enough for your hardware. The nouveau guys are doing awesome work, but I highly doubt it's going to be enough to play minecraft on Tiny without falling back to software rendering.

Try killing the steam processes before you start minecraft. Don't forget to use -9 if Steam DRM requires a process always be running.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

I have Gentoo dualbooted on my macbook pro, so I'm not using nvidia, but in Gentoo I played around in Minecraft with BTW for a few minutes with the Linux Steam client running in the background without any of the graphical glitches you described, so it may very well be the nvidia drivers. I do have access to another computer running Gentoo and using nvidia, but it doesn't have steam installed on right now. I might be able to get it installed there and then test this out on it; I'll tell you what I find when I get the chance to do that.

@Benanov: I don't know how different Debian Linux is in how it installs/runs Steam, but on my installation at least, Steam seems to be running simply under my username, and not root.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

darahalian wrote:@Benanov: I don't know how different Debian Linux is in how it installs/runs Steam, but on my installation at least, Steam seems to be running simply under my username, and not root.
The upgrade scripts run as root, because of where Steam is installed in the FSH - I think it's in /usr/bin instead of /opt or ~/steam or something sane.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

Steam's installer goes in /usr/bin, but Valve will not ask for the root password to out-of-distribution update it now. It will just push out newer installer .debs.

That said, I'll see if I can push to a stable Nvidia driver in Gentoo and also get Steam running off of the Intel GPU (which is open source). Please spare the political debate about closed source vs open source; it's off topic and if you want *MY* views on it, then ask in Off Topic.
xou816

Post by xou816 »

I had some graphical glitches with MC in the past but since I updated to Ubuntu 12.04 the bug has gone (farewell!). I didn't use Steam though!
It was really weird, something like multicolor triangle in the left bottom corner of the screen. At this time I had found a trick to make it less invasive: when in full screen mode (using f11), the bug would be less noticeable. But still I don't know if you're having the same bug!
A couple of friends running on Ubuntu had the same bug, too.