First time user, possible install error -resolved-

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Gwyndion

First time user, possible install error -resolved-

Post by Gwyndion »

Hello everybody, I've played a fair bit of minecraft but I took a break from it. I'm used to playing with a few mods for extra toys to play with so obviously the first thing I did was check the mod forums and BTW raised my interest. Some nice new toys like electricity to play with while not being an auto-win. Can't say I'm 100% a fan of the forced bed disable but when I first started playing there weren't any beds either so back to the usual route of creating a tunnel after finding a spot I wanted :).

I followed the install instructions, clean minecraft, delete meta-inf, drag modloader into minecraft.jar and same for BTW. Seeing as my hemps growing fine (slow start but it's taking off) and I'm about halfway to making a windmill I'd say the mod is working. Something odd seems to be going on though, I've yet to run into cows and wolves. Cows're a surprise with the amount of areas I've been through, sheep, chickens and pigs aplenty but not a single cow yet. No wolves either while I've checked a numebr of tundra biomes but seeing as I can find them on new worlds I guess that's a big dose of bad luck.

Kind regards and thanks for the help,

Gwyndion
Last edited by Gwyndion on Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talrea

Re: First time user, possible install error

Post by Talrea »

its random where the creatures are, youve just been unlucky. it took me 2 weeks of hunting on my favourite map to find a wolf.... well i did start in a desert...

it sounds like everything installed fine. just start doing some trecks out to the north/ south/ east/ west, etc exploriong the area. you should eventually find them, for wolves focus on searching snowy forests etc. as for cows well they should be easier to find.
Gwyndion

Post by Gwyndion »

Thanks for the response. I know wolves're rare so I get that (though odd how they spawn in every snow biome on new worlds besides the three I've found on my main save) but no cows for a few ingame weeks is quite odd, I'm used to seeing multiple a day while exploring. Hmm, did another full reinstall of minecraft and now I find cows on every new world, fixed or bad luck streak broken I guess but either way resolved :).
Last edited by Gwyndion on Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talrea

Post by Talrea »

some world seeds seem to favour diferent animals, i did have fun though getting chickens to my base, i had to travel 2 days and nights though forests and deserts to find them... then bringing them back was just as fun, i had to wall myself and them in a few times until it was safe to travel again...

for the wolves i had to swim a ocean and cross a desert...

i guess that serves me right for choosing large biomes lol...

but just keep exploring youl find them... usually just beyond a ridge near your base lol...

explorings fun though, and its suprising how many fun caves or ruins you can find when travelling. just don't give up hope.
Gwyndion

Re: First time user, possible install error -resolved-

Post by Gwyndion »

Haha too true, my spawn was a ruin actually. Have to say it was quite a surprise to get in there, dismantle the trap (and take the devices along ofcourse) and get 2 diamond, some gold and red dust etc to start off with. Obviously it also serves as a nice base when I died before I made the tunnel. Can't wait until I can get cows, expand my farm and start breeding though :).
Ferrus.Manus

Re: First time user, possible install error -resolved-

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Yeah, in my recent Thaumcraft3 world I also had hell of a time ocating cows, took me forever to find them (and getting the back to the base trough 1500+ bloks or rough terrain was even bigger issue), so it's definitelly not a BtW problem, it just happens. It was really annoying since you need leather to actualy start actually research anything in TC3 (you need a bookcase to make a Thaumonomicon).