musing on RTH

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: musing on RTH

Post by FlowerChild »

abominare wrote:The aspect of having to rely on harder and harder levels of material to protect us from ever increasing mobs is something that excites me.
There are children present you know.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

oO
Since when ?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:oO
Since when ?
You're really having trouble with my humor these days aren't you? :)
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

FlowerChild wrote:
Since when ?
I'm not sure. Maybe he thought he banned them all ;-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

FlowerChild wrote:
Since when ?
Not at all here. I was hoping for one of them to show up actually :(
You spoiled my fun :p
*sadly puts back his banhammer in his chest*
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote: You spoiled my fun :p
*sadly puts back his banhammer in his chest*
Doh! Sorry man :)
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

abominare wrote:I've always figured that between Fc's musings on changing block as simple as dirt and his hints that mobs will become more dangerous, insinuates that in RTH we could expect mobs to be able to defeat different levels of building materials.

In the case of dirt, which is often the first material of a makeshift home/rabbit hole we could very well expect mobs to dig their own way to us hiding in the dirt. The aspect of having to rely on harder and harder levels of material to protect us from ever increasing mobs is something that excites me.
Good one, it's only logical considering FC mentioned several times that he likes builds which need to have defense from mobs in mid. Like a lip on your wall to avoid spiders climbing over. I'm sure we'll get a plenty of that :).
Psion

Post by Psion »

I don't have any objections to planning your builds to take mob defense into account. I just hope that it isn't so strict that every base winds up looking pretty much the same as each other. As long as mob defense doesn't mean you have to sacrifice aesthetics (not saying that a castle isn't nice... but when every base is a castle, as opposed to a log cabin or a giant tree, it's not as fun) then i'm excited about it.

Of course, FC likely knows this and will take it into account. :3
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Psion wrote:I don't have any objections to planning your builds to take mob defense into account. I just hope that it isn't so strict that every base winds up looking pretty much the same as each other. As long as mob defense doesn't mean you have to sacrifice aesthetics (not saying that a castle isn't nice... but when every base is a castle, as opposed to a log cabin or a giant tree, it's not as fun) then i'm excited about it.
The focus of RTH will be on gameplay, not aesthetics. Thus, functionality will drive form to a much greater extent than with vMC, much like it already does with BTW's automation systems, but to a much larger extent.

There will still be room for creativity of course, and as you know I'm a big believer in constraints driving creativity, but if you're wanting the free-form building aspect you get out of vMC, or to a lesser extent BTW, then you will most likely want to stick with BTW or move onto another mod, rather than play RTH.

Again: they're going to be vastly different mods, and I'm definitely not going to be sacrificing gameplay for aesthetic purposes in RTH. Remember: RTH is largely me getting rid of any remaining design compromises I make in being tied to vanilla so I can focus on providing a very specific gameplay experience.

Short version: no, I'm not going to hold back on having rampaging hordes lobbing greek fire into your base if I so desire, because you want to build a tree house.
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

FlowerChild wrote:I'm not going to hold back on having rampaging hordes lobbing greek fire into your base if I so desire, because you want to build a tree house.
If this can be condensed in to something that will fit as a splash, please make it so!

I'm completely the opposite in that I think designing a base that MUST be functionally secure and fire-proof (as an example) is a fantastic idea. I know Terraria has been referenced where building an arena before taking on bosses is a must. I am excited.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote: Again: they're going to be vastly different mods, and I'm definitely not going to be sacrificing gameplay for aesthetic purposes in RTH. Remember: RTH is largely me getting rid of any remaining design compromises I make in being tied to vanilla so I can focus on providing a very specific gameplay experience.

Short version: no, I'm not going to hold back on having rampaging hordes lobbing greek fire into your base if I so desire, because you want to build a tree house.
Honestly, I think this is a good thing design-wise. Anyone can build a tree house, but making one more defended than "Mobs can't jump this high, ergo I am invincible" takes some skill.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I think this will be a great change. Also, I am often times one of those 'challenge accepted' people, so this will also get a lot more creativity going, since often the more constraints I have, the more fun I have (unless it is to the point of Skyrim's open world, yet giving exact markers for quests). I am really looking forward to RTH!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I am definitely of like mind to the above.

I've generally held back on fucking with people's bases in the past out of respect for their existing builds (which have been built without being aware of any additional constraints I might introduce), but RTH will definitely have a very large disclaimer on it that I may at any point level your entire world with a new feature, and by playing it, you accept that.

Anyways, this is just another aspect of how RTH will provide me with waaaaaaay more design flexibility than I previously felt I had.
Kombucha

Post by Kombucha »

I'm thankful that FC seems to be leaning toward making it a separate mod all together. Between all the SFS and the two Diamond Blocks, Building The Device looks like it would be a colossal headache.
Last edited by Kombucha on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:Anyways, this is just another aspect of how RTH will provide me with waaaaaaay more design flexibility than I previously felt I had.
I'm definitely in favor of that. The approach I take to any new feature (even ones I am initially uncomfortable with) is to trust in the design. I've put my gameplay in FC's hands time and again, and he has always delivered. Even if I don't understand a feature in concept, it always bears out in practice.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Locke

Post by Locke »

Ozziie wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:I'm not going to hold back on having rampaging hordes lobbing greek fire into your base if I so desire, because you want to build a tree house.
If this can be condensed in to something that will fit as a splash, please make it so!

I'm completely the opposite in that I think designing a base that MUST be functionally secure and fire-proof (as an example) is a fantastic idea. I know Terraria has been referenced where building an arena before taking on bosses is a must. I am excited.

I'm not going to hold back for your tree house

I don't know but this is now one of my splashes.
FlowerChild wrote: Hehehe...BTW: Making Minecraft a little more vile with each release :)
Spoilered for convenience :)
Spoiler
Show