3D item drops. Yay or nay?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Gears

3D item drops. Yay or nay?

Post by Gears »

So today Team Mojang just posted a video showing the 3D item drops. For those that haven't seen it, here is the video:

I personally think that it's a cool feature, even if just for aesthetics. I remember the code existing in the game for a while, and it looks like they finally decided to implement it. However, I do think that they could have done something more useful for the game than implement this feature, but it looks right so I will retain my full criticism for when they start bugging the fuck out.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
Locke

Re: 3D item drops. Yay or nay?

Post by Locke »

Yay... If they hadn't be, you know promising a number of important updates that would, I don't know, add more block IDs, Mod API, Redstone update. This is all filler. Screw them. They have real responsibilities to the community with the *only* things that the community requested that weren't screwed up.
FlowerChild wrote: Hehehe...BTW: Making Minecraft a little more vile with each release :)
Spoilered for convenience :)
Spoiler
Show
Gears

Post by Gears »

Locke wrote:Yay... If they hadn't be, you know promising a number of important updates that would, I don't know, add more block IDs, Mod API, Redstone update. This is all filler. Screw them. They have real responsibilities to the community with the *only* things that the community requested that weren't screwed up.
I agree with you in this being a filler and mojang avoiding the goals they set for themselves. However, it's a nice looking feature that actually blends with the game(Since items being 3D in your hand and 2D when dropped was kind of odd) and it's relieving to see a feature that doesn't completely go against all of notch's design plans.

It's not necessarily a bad feature, but it's bad timing that they post THIS when they should be talking about the redstone update. Maybe do a video on some new redstone powered items and have it as a background feature in it would have been nice.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Yay for being harmless and cool looking, Nay for being another ADD moment from Mojang.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

It looks good, but looks is not what minecraft is about. My guess is I am going to lose 10 fps on my already unstable 40 fps average
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Stompinlama

Post by Stompinlama »

I appreciate this a bit, but at the same time I want to know more about the redstone update and the API. Serious filler to keep people remembering the whole "forever updating" promise we bought.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

While this may be cool, it is not something they should spend time on to postpone the promises they made over a year ago, and continue not to fulfil.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
The Lord of Brick

Post by The Lord of Brick »

Hhmmmm...
Methinks Mojang has just nabbes the code for the 3D Items mod...
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who gonna save your lives and those of six billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Dinnerbone said that there was already code to do this sort of rendering on items in your hand, he said he just called it from items on the ground, so I don't think he looked at that mod (I had never heard of it myself), or it took much time away from other features.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Pointless cool-ish feature. I think the main problem is that i dare say most of us have never heard of the mod. That means that most likely, most of us either didn't care or liked the way it normally renders. Therefore, the feature has a high chance of pissing a lot of people off. I mean, if the items are sitting and spinning, that means that perhaps, 10% of the time you aren't going to know what that item is that is sitting on the ground. If you are going to have 3d items, then i think they actually need to exhibit some sort of physics as well (lying on the ground, rather than floating).

What i do like though is that i may be able to get my Nearly broken, irreparable, named (only in my head) but well loved Monsterly Sword of Monsterly Slayingness mounted on the wall and shining in all its prettiness. However, wether they make enchantments actually render on the 3d items is another story, so i will hold out on those hopes.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh crap. I hadn't thought of that before, but you're right in this may interfere with mod-item rendering.

I won't necessarily do so though, as those affects do appear on the items when they are held in the player's hand, regardless of being in 3D.

So, I don't think there's cause for big concern here, but it's still a valid point regardless.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I don't like it. Doesn't fit for me. It would end up being one of those things I am forced to endure forever, along with a few of the new sounds.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Blocks in item form always rendered in 3D, if anything this is more consistent. And being able to see item from above/below is nice too.
Monter64

Post by Monter64 »

I say Nay because it is just another waist of time that will probably make my minecraft lag even more.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Monter64 wrote:I say Nay because it is just another waist of time that will probably make my minecraft lag even more.
I don't think so. 1. It wouldn't lag. It would drop your framerate, and 2. Do you get an FPS drop when blocks are dropped on the ground? When an item is rendered in your hand? Then you won't have any drop in framerate. I agree that the time could've been better spent, but it really doesn't have any other issues.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Some additional notes from the Wiki http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Versi ... t_versions:
  • - Item entities are rendered as 3d objects in the world when in Fancy graphics mode
    - Items now show their enchantments when dropped on the ground
So, my sword will glow on the ground. I wonder if it will glow in the item frame.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Took probably 10 min top to implement, doesn't fundamentally change anything at all, can be disabled by not using the Fancy graphic options... I fail to see how it could be bad.
Mojang criticism ? Understandable (to say the least)
Constant bashing ? Pissing me off.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

To be quite fair, I don't like the looks of it. Particularly the way the items 'stack' on the ground bothers me. I hope this is a feature that can be turned off without having to switch off 'fancy graphics'.
DigitalAristotle217

Post by DigitalAristotle217 »

Battosay wrote: Constant bashing ? Pissing me off.
Sometimes when people first realize a problem associated with a system, they assign the problem universally to everything within it. I agree with you: it's getting annoying. But at least people are recognizing problems with development.
Bashing someone in this sense doesn't often accomplish good, and I'm not advocating Mojang bashing when I say this, but it's a phase of growth which was long overdue.

As for the items, I don't particularly find anything beautiful about it on vanilla. But I can't wait to see 3D items floating on water with HD texture pack. That's gonna be cool looking. And hey, if it didn't take that much time to implement, why not?
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

It's trivial, and it wasn't much to code and test, and it fixes a nasty papercut.

It'll be nice to see objects from above. Oh wait, I use fast graphics. Oh well. No change for me, then.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

I don't get why it will be for fancy graphics if it will have minimal affect on fps then shouldn't it be the default or have its own option. I play with fancy most of the time so like it or not I'm stuck with it. It is nice to see where items are from above but this seams like a odd thing to fix when so much else is broken. The latest snapshot has dropped in frame rate in comparison to 1.4.5
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

As I said before I like it because I will be able to see items from above. It often happens that I drop an item while building and can't see where it fell to from above because they are infinitely thin. I also have the same problem spotting ghast tears sometime.
schubeast

Post by schubeast »

Hadn't though of it as relating to ghast tears.... That always pissed me off, seeing as how useful regen potions are for long mod-bashing sessions... Nice to see a useful little feature that doesn't break things.
haphazardnuke wrote: "Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".