What is BWF?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: What is BWF?

Post by FlowerChild »

The moderator has the impression I was troll calling, when I was actually doing the exact opposite. I just PM'd him about it as I suspect english may not be his first language from his other posts, and he may have misunderstood.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I can see his post just fine :|

That said, having a sectional moderator active in the thread is a good way to avoid it being randomly taken out by a third party.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

There has been a lot of trouble in the IRC lately, DaveYanakov has been doing a great job with dealing with it, but it's not getting much better. There has also apparently been a BWF channel made, some crowd control might be helpful.

I do apologize if this is intrusive and/or irritating, I wasn't planning on posting this before, but I thought it was important to at least bring to the attention of the other members of the community.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/illogicallycompact
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:I can see his post just fine :|

That said, having a sectional moderator active in the thread is a good way to avoid it being randomly taken out by a third party.
It's been taken care of man. Me and the moderator discussed it via PM and compromised on the word "troll" being removed from my post (even if I was saying "you're not a troll", but whatever). The message's intent remains the same, so I'm fine with it.

Anyways, no point in discussing that one further. It was just an honest mistake based on misunderstanding.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

It's not the mod-copying that bothers me the most (although it is really, really shitty), it's the sneaky, underhanded, insulting attitude they've got about the whole thing.

FlowerAdult? Really?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BlackCat wrote:There has been a lot of trouble in the IRC lately, DaveYanakov has been doing a great job with dealing with it, but it's not getting much better. There has also apparently been a BWF channel made, some crowd control might be helpful.

I do apologize if this is intrusive and/or irritating, I wasn't planning on posting this before, but I thought it was important to at least bring to the attention of the other members of the community.
Fair enough. I'll try to be more present in IRC to help manage that, but I'm not sure if that would actually help as my presence will also likely draw more trolls.

Also, I really can't effectively code with IRC open, which is generally why I reserve it for Friday nights when I'm otherwise taking a break. I find it way too distracting and it winds up adversely affecting my concentration.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Azdoine wrote: FlowerAdult? Really?
Hehe...yeah, that one admittedly gave me a good lol. Because yes, the guy copying all your work and lacking the creativity to just make his own mod is obviously the "Adult" in this situation.

I'm actually quite pleased that they chose that name as it really betrays the attitude, immaturity, and general trollish behavior behind the whole project. It's very hard to take them seriously when they keep saying "FlowerAdult" every few sentences :)

It also betrays a guilty conscience IMO, as if you think you're perfectly in the right, why on earth would you need an alias to protect your alias? ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Not to be telling you what to do. But I don't think that's the best use of your time. I'm sure we can find people capable of policing the IRC channel... :P
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Thank you FC, I appreciate it a lot. I totally understand why you wouldn't want to be in the IRC very often, it can be extremely distracting to have conversations like that going on around you.

Edit: And to Saru, the mods are very helpful in the IRC, it's just they can't always be around whenever these things happen, so it's not an issue of bad administration work, it's an issue of "understaffing"

Just wanted to be sure what I said before was clear and that there were no misunderstandings, again I'm sorry if I'm being intrusive or irritating with this.
Ribky: eh, maybe kinda iffy at first, but you grew on me like a glorious tumor of innovation
Detritus: A whole lot of walls decided they wanted to give you a hug, but you're allergic to walls

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Any chance that you guys could nominate some existing members in good standing then to help moderate the IRC channel?

The problems are two fold here, in that Sar is right in that it's probably not the most effective use of my time (since it takes time away from the mod's actual development and shifts it over to managing the community), and honestly, I get the impression that what I said above is correct and that my increased presence would likely just make the situation worse by drawing more trolls to join the channel.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

No I understood what you meant. I just think it makes more sense to deputize some more people to patrol IRC than it does to ask Flower to commit more of his already overtaxed time to it.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

Benavov would be who I would recommend, he has definitely kept a cool head in all of this and is already close with some of the current Admins.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BlackCat wrote:Benavov would be who I would recommend, he has definitely kept a cool head in all of this and is already close with some of the current Admins.
Cool cool. If you could take the discussion of that over to IRC itself, I'd be much obliged, as this is rapidly getting off topic.
BlackCat

Post by BlackCat »

FlowerChild wrote:
Cool cool. If you could take the discussion of that over to IRC itself, I'd be much obliged, as this is rapidly getting off topic.
Dave is currently the only Admin on and he is busy with personal obligations, I'll let this sit until he gets back though.

Edit: Removed double quote tags because they annoy me.

agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

As incredibly annoying as this is conceptually, and as insulting as it is to the community and to FlowerChild, I say if those dumb dildos want to play a ripped off, buggy, lowborn version of BTW that likely strips out many if not all of the interesting "constraint" type features, then fuck 'em. It's like buying a knockoff iPod - it's not going to be a good example of the real deal and is likely to cause more problems than you solved by not going with the namebrand one in the first place.

These are not the kind of people who would contribute to the community in any meaningful way. Anyone worth having around here will likely find their way to the real mod, and maybe all those assholes playing/creating BWF will stay the hell out of our little corner of the internet.

And anyway, something tells me RTH will be much more difficult to rip off. Keep your head up Flower, anyone with any sense knows you're at the top of the MC modding game in terms of the worthiness of your mod, your talent as a coder, and your vision as a designer. Fuck the haters, man.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

agentwiggles wrote:As incredibly annoying as this is conceptually, and as insulting as it is to the community and to FlowerChild, I say if those dumb dildos want to play a ripped off, buggy, lowborn version of BTW that likely strips out many if not all of the interesting "constraint" type features, then fuck 'em. It's like buying a knockoff iPod - it's not going to be a good example of the real deal and is likely to cause more problems than you solved by not going with the namebrand one in the first place.

These are not the kind of people who would contribute to the community in any meaningful way. Anyone worth having around here will likely find their way to the real mod, and maybe all those assholes playing/creating BWF will stay the hell out of our little corner of the internet.

And anyway, something tells me RTH will be much more difficult to rip off. Keep your head up Flower, anyone with any sense knows you're at the top of the MC modding game in terms of the worthiness of your mod, your talent as a coder, and your vision as a designer. Fuck the haters, man.
Yup, I largely agree with you man. This pisses me off based on principle and based on the overall trend it represents within the MC community, but it actually affects me very little in any practical sense.

Heck, it pissed me off when they were just doing it to Risu, as I thought he was deserving of a lot more respect, and you guys may remember the threads that popped up about that on its own.

But with regards to BTW, given I am wrapping this project up, and given that they've only got a fraction of their mod "working", besides disrupting my immediate work due to it being an annoying (and angering) distraction, it really means very little in the long run.

So, what they're really looking at is what will probably add up to months of work to develop and maintain this thing just to piss me off for a couple of days on a short-term troll, and so that they can have the decorative aspects of the mod running in Forge, because as we've discussed before, BTW largely becomes irrelevant when installed alongside Forge mods due to its focus on primitive and balanced low-tech stuff that fits the feel of the rest of the game.

Whatever floats their boat I guess, but again, the whole thing doesn't make very much sense at all, and on purely a troll level, has negligible cost/benefit at best.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I think you should take it as a compliment. Even if they're being a jerk about it. They're basically saying that better than wolves is so cool that forge people need to have it regardless of the means. :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I think you should take it as a compliment. Even if they're being a jerk about it. They're basically saying that better than wolves is so cool that forge people need to have it regardless of the means. :P
Nah man, that kind of rationalization doesn't work on me :)

I *do* find it very amusing however that a lot of that stream had "that feature is so cool!" comments as they discovered different aspects of BTW, interspersed with the constant FC bashing, especially since many times those comments revolved around some of my more recent "hardcore" changes.

Again, "cut off your nose to spite your face". "We love what you're doing, and the new stuff you're turning out...but we want to effectively steal your mod out from under you and for you to stop producing new content...which we'd also likely love".

It really is laughable, so no, I won't take it as a compliment, but I will get a chuckle out of the short term thinking and overall stupidity it represents ;)
MrLemon

Post by MrLemon »

It's unfortunate that some people seem to think that this was 'justified' and that FC 'deserved' it, and they make fun of FC for responding 'immaturely'. I'd like to see them spend over a year of work onto a project and have someone blatantly rip it off and see what they would think of this then.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Well I didn't mean it was meant as a compliment it was certainly meant to piss you off and unashamedly steal your work. As it is said 'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'. Them wanting to take it just underscores how valuable it is. That's all.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Well I didn't mean it was meant as a compliment it was certainly meant to piss you off and unashamedly steal your work. As it is said 'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'. Them wanting to take it just underscores how valuable it is. That's all.
Yup, I hear what you're saying, but at its basic level, that expression is a form of rationalization intended to calm people down when they're pissed off about having something ripped off.

All I'm saying, is that I don't subscribe to that point of view :)
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

The whole situation just smells of dirtiness. I've never seen such a cut-throat modding community, it's insane. Keep your head up, and I'm sure it'll blow over eventually.
Mudkipz

Post by Mudkipz »

This seems like a giant case of deja'vu...
I wish you well in dealing with this.

edit: I find it disheartening to see that the main justification that people have been giving is an ad hominem...
Last edited by Mudkipz on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JesterxMailMan89

Post by JesterxMailMan89 »

I didnt want to post over here about it but something rather interesting just came up on MCF.

One ZegenRuki just said that he is the modder of BWF and has made comments about how he is 'reworking' mechanical powerto be more similar to red power frames or something like that. I have no idea if it is really him but I thought you should know.

EDIT: Actually it may be another BTW clone, not BWF. I apologize for the confusion.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

My god, all of this is just sad, were is the world going?
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.