Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
SterlingRed

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by SterlingRed »

Per dinnerbones twitter,

Shears will be able to be enchanted with silk touch to pick up cobwebs in survival. (Makes sense and its about time!)

Minecraft 1.6 will be dropping support for java 5. (I'm hoping this is being driven by their new render engine and that we'll be seeing that in 1.6)
Last edited by SterlingRed on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Soooo... there making plans for 1.6 before they have 1.5 out...?
Never say no to Panda.
DigitalAristotle217

Post by DigitalAristotle217 »

Panda wrote:Soooo... there making plans for 1.6 before they have 1.5 out...?
I think I read somewhere that the idea was to have one "team" working on 1.5 (to push all the "OOH SHINY" stuff to keep the masses happy) and another to continue working on the api to push it out faster.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

SterlingRed wrote:Minecraft 1.6 will be dropping support for java 6. (I'm hoping this is being driven by their new render engine and that we'll be seeing that in 1.6)
Seriously? I hope Debian 7 (Wheezy) is stable by then (it probably will be.) You can't get Java 7 in the Debian 6 package repos. Way to upgrade past me, Mojang. (I'd rather use the repos, thanks.)

Apparently a lot of folks have issues with 1.7 64-bit on Windows, so this might for Mojang to fix some bugs...but in the short term I am not amused.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

SterlingRed wrote: Minecraft 1.6 will be dropping support for java 6. (I'm hoping this is being driven by their new render engine and that we'll be seeing that in 1.6)
Are you sure it's Java 6?

I thought it said Java 5 and PowerPC support was being dropped.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

RezDev wrote:
SterlingRed wrote: Minecraft 1.6 will be dropping support for java 6. (I'm hoping this is being driven by their new render engine and that we'll be seeing that in 1.6)
Are you sure it's Java 6?

I thought it said Java 5 and PowerPC support was being dropped.
Yep you are right. Sorry for the typo. Fixed my post.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

RezDev wrote:I thought it said Java 5 and PowerPC support was being dropped.
Aah, well that's better. Looks like that PowerPC support was just for Mac OS X... Minecraft never worked on PowerPC Linux - blame lwjgl.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

Panda

Post by Panda »

Ok ill admit that isnt bad :P
Never say no to Panda.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah, I'll admit that it looks pretty cool, but what purpose does it serve? It just takes away from dev time that could be better spent on other things *cough* modAPI *cough* extended block ids *cough* infinite texture indices *cough*
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Panda

Post by Panda »

I think the best use of there time would be hiring me to overhaul the texture color pallets in minecraft
Never say no to Panda.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I was hoping that it would be a sparkling diamond ore, not a 3d rendering of an item. There is no need for that at all.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote:I was hoping that it would be a sparkling diamond ore, not a 3d rendering of an item. There is no need for that at all.
I don't even vaguely "get it" either, but at least it was hopefully super-easy to implement :)

I guess it does represent a level of polish that might be admirable, there's just so other many other pressing issues to address, I doubt it's something I'd choose to look at.

Maybe this is part of refactoring the rendering code though. Dinnerbone might have just been in that area of code and decided to change something simple as part of other tasks.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

FlowerChild wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote:I was hoping that it would be a sparkling diamond ore, not a 3d rendering of an item. There is no need for that at all.
I don't even vaguely "get it" either, but at least it was hopefully super-easy to implement :)

I guess it does represent a level of polish that might be admirable, there's just so other many other pressing issues to address, I doubt it's something I'd choose to look at.

Maybe this is part of refactoring the rendering code though. Dinnerbone might have just been in that area of code and decided to change something simple as part of other tasks.
Dinnerbone said elsewhere that the code to do so was already in the code which renders the items in your hand. Essentially he just had the dropped item rendering call that method. So while it was minimal gain it sounds like insignificant effort, so that's at least a refreshing ratio.
EvanT

Post by EvanT »

At first I didn't even spot the difference. When he said "Diamonds .. get .. some luxury rendering" I did expect partial transparency or high definition textures.. This is Like:

"Sugar! now fat-free!"
"We are not shooting for realism,.. we are shooting for awesome!"
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Well at least now we'll be able to see items from above...
EvanT

Post by EvanT »

OK, that is a valid point.
"We are not shooting for realism,.. we are shooting for awesome!"
xou816

Post by xou816 »

This feature already exists as a mod (which was compatible with BTW back in 1.2.5): http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/125 ... tems-v152/
I personally like this feature but as many of you have said... Where are your priorities, Mojang?

Moreover, it seems that they are more and more "stealing" features from mods, although this is not necesseraly a bad thing. We've seen some things from BTW inspire Mojang... But there's a modder called Koopinator who had made a couple of cool mods in 1.2.5; one added sideways logs, another added walls (but not only cobble ones), another mod added stairs connection... quite a lot of things that have been added in Vanilla 1.3/1.4. And he had done all these mods in 1.2.5!
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

A video for you:
Spoiler
Show
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
dr_spindizzy

Post by dr_spindizzy »

xou816 wrote:This feature already exists as a mod (which was compatible with BTW back in 1.2.5): http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/125 ... tems-v152/
I personally like this feature but as many of you have said... Where are your priorities, Mojang?
As was also said, it was apparently a tiny code change, so really who cares?

The uninformed Mojang-bashing in this thread does get a bit tiresome sometimes. :-P
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Jeb announced on twitter this morning he is now the lead of minecraft pocket in addition to minecraft PC.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

SterlingRed wrote:Jeb announced on twitter this morning he is now the lead of minecraft pocket in addition to minecraft PC.
Oh god why?
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Jeb! Eat all the food on your plate before you have some more!
Seriously though, he's only just coping with one game...
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Most likely has to do with the Raspberry Pi version (which is based off of the pocket edition) that is coming up.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

Husbag3 wrote:Jeb! Eat all the food on your plate before you have some more!
Seriously though, he's only just coping with one game...
Two, actually. Unless he's done with Cobalt.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.