Auto hemp farm help

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Rugaard

Auto hemp farm help

Post by Rugaard »

im working on a hemp far but im trying to figure out how to prevent the drops from landing on the walkway, other than putting up a wall any suggestions?
gftweek

Re: Auto hemp farm help

Post by gftweek »

Most hemp farms probably aren't 100% perfect, you may lose some, but if you are getting more than you lose and it's completely automatic it won't matter much in the long run.

Otherwise a screenshot would help people offer better suggestions.
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

its not automatic yet since i have yet to make the windmill and i have no idea how to get it to harvest automatically yet. right now all i have is a center walkway 2 blocks wide and on both sides i have running water to go to future hoppers then after the water i have a row of dirt with hemp on them, light blocks above the hemp and pistons to harvest the top row of hemp. right now i harvest the hemp by hitting a lever... should change that to a button
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Yeah, that's kind of a problem with pistons, they don't really push the hemp, they just kind of break it, so it falls in a random direction. They have the same problem with reeds and cacti.

You can use block dispensers to suck in the top piece of hemp and spit it out again (it should fly over the hemp into the water, but you'll probably need a wall to stop it flying too far), but these are expensive in terms of mossy cobble.
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

very expensive, only idea i can come up with is by using pistons to temporarily create that wall, just need to find a lot of slimes.... or eventually get bellows
punchin

Post by punchin »

Use a detector block to tell when the hemp is full grown. For maximum efficiency, you'd have to have 1 block on each help plant, but yeah.. No thanks.. You could also just put it on like a 5 minute clock.

As far as making them land where you want, I think making the pistons stay out for a little longer than normal should work. But then you also have the "going too far" issue. I'm afraid a wall of some sort is about the only solution. Unless you want to widen your water stream out enough to catch it no matter what.
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

punchin wrote:Use a detector block to tell when the hemp is full grown. For maximum efficiency, you'd have to have 1 block on each help plant, but yeah.. No thanks.. You could also just put it on like a 5 minute clock.

As far as making them land where you want, I think making the pistons stay out for a little longer than normal should work. But then you also have the "going too far" issue. I'm afraid a wall of some sort is about the only solution. Unless you want to widen your water stream out enough to catch it no matter what.
not sure how to make a 5 min clock, got an example you can show me?
Urian

Post by Urian »

There are more reliable ways to make a 5 min clock but one easy way is to use a dispenser to shoot out an item onto a wooden pressure plate. The item will despawn after five minutes provided you don't go too far away and the pressure plate will turn of the signal.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea