Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Stormweaver

Re: Morvelaira's News Compilation

Post by Stormweaver »

Battlecat wrote:Not a bad thing, controlled enchanting will be a nice to have for vanilla players.

I'm personally more curious about where these enchanted books are going to come from. I suspect they won't be super rare mob drops like they are in BTW.
My bet is that you get them by enchanting books.

...you know, because it's predictable and the first thing anyone would think of.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Ph1il93

Post by Ph1il93 »

Battlecat wrote:
I'm personally more curious about where these enchanted books are going to come from. I suspect they won't be super rare mob drops like they are in BTW.
Source Minecraftwiki: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_Update
Perhaps a method of enchanting equipment with paper

The player would enchant the paper, then use an anvil to combine it with equipment
The anvil cost to do this would be very high
Could be outdated.
justcallmecloud

Post by justcallmecloud »

Itamarcu wrote:Dinnerbone seems to work on scroll-like enchanting:
Spoiler
Show
This is what I originally added the Anvil for. Finally had a chance to sit down and add it! <snip>
EDIT:

Also, 100th page! :D
I wonder if Dinnerbone actually did take the time to play BTW like FlowerChild suggested. It is possible though that this idea was in the pipeline though which is suggested in the quote.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Itamarcu wrote:Dinnerbone seems to work on scroll-like enchanting:
Spoiler
Show
This is what I originally added the Anvil for. Finally had a chance to sit down and add it! <snip>
This feature makes sense for vanilla, but what doesn't make sense is that it takes place on an anvil. Actually, the whole idea of the anvil being used for things that use up experience doesn't make sense to me, as it really is just a dead weight of iron. Now if it was a magic anvil, and the recipe was changed to reflect that....
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

darahalian wrote:This feature makes sense for vanilla, but what doesn't make sense is that it takes place on an anvil. Actually, the whole idea of the anvil being used for things that use up experience doesn't make sense to me, as it really is just a dead weight of iron. Now if it was a magic anvil, and the recipe was changed to reflect that....
Where have I heard that before? :)
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

FlowerChild wrote:Where have I heard that before? :)
Yeah, I kind of realized as I was posting it that I had already heard the same opinion from you, but the screenshot with a book as an input to an anvil just struck me as to how odd it was. I had a mental image of pounding the book and sword together with the hammer in the gui. :P
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

darahalian wrote: Yeah, I kind of realized as I was posting it that I had already heard the same opinion from you, but the screenshot with a book as an input to an anvil just struck me as to how odd it was. I had a mental image of pounding the book and sword together with the hammer in the gui. :P
Well, who knows? Dinnerbone may take our MCF exchange to heart and modify the recipe for the vanilla anvil to give it a more magical feel. It didn't make much sense as is before, and as you point out, with the new magical elements, it makes even less.
userzero

Post by userzero »

It seems to me that most of the significant additions to MC have been poorly thought out imitations of things that have already been implemented better in this mod and maybe a few others. The anvil is a perfect example of something that was setup and implemented in a fitting way in a mod and then thrown-in in an amateur fashion by Mojang. Honestly, I feel like BTW is finally delivering the MC I thought I was buying into in the early alpha.

I really don't think it matters if he takes the conversations to heart or not. I think design and the whole big picture is out of his skill set. If they want to get the development back on track they need someone with a clear vision and to stop wasting time with features they think might be cool on their own, regardless of how they fit with the whole.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

The anvil in vmc and the anvil in this mood share nothing but their name. The vanilla anvil is closer to the crucible our the infernal enchanter while being not as cool as either.
Six

Post by Six »

All they need to do to make it internally consistent imo, is to put 3 obsidian along the bottom, maybe throw a diamond in there, rename it to Magic Anvil, and Boom, it makes sense in the world already established by the rest of the game.

Also, I support the book enchanting at least in concept. Vanilla enchanting has always felt more frustrating than anything else, this way at least you can waste those bad enchants on something other than your 3 diamonds. I do feel sorry though for mods that have put in their own systems which will be circumvented by this.
Ph1il93

Post by Ph1il93 »

New Snapshot 12w49a

http://mojang.com/2012/12/minecraft-snapshot-12w49a/
changelog:
Added fireworks (sound effects will come soon)
Added enchanted books for enchanting items
Plenty of bugs addressed!
and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
“What’s this? This doesn’t sound like a redstone update at all!”, you say. “Indeed,” we say. Thing is, we* suddenly decided we wanted to make sure that you have fireworks for New Year’s Eve, so we’re working in several parallel branches of the code now. One is for the 1.5 “Redstone Update,” and one is now for a 1.4.6 patch update. This update will be out before Christmas, and 1.5 will wait until January (or possibly February).
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Ph1il93 wrote:New Snapshot 12w49a

http://mojang.com/2012/12/minecraft-snapshot-12w49a/
changelog:
Added fireworks (sound effects will come soon)
Added enchanted books for enchanting items
Plenty of bugs addressed!
and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
“What’s this? This doesn’t sound like a redstone update at all!”, you say. “Indeed,” we say. Thing is, we* suddenly decided we wanted to make sure that you have fireworks for New Year’s Eve, so we’re working in several parallel branches of the code now. One is for the 1.5 “Redstone Update,” and one is now for a 1.4.6 patch update. This update will be out before Christmas, and 1.5 will wait until January (or possibly February).
Oh.... LOL
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Six

Post by Six »

FlowerChild wrote:

Fuck.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
- Love Mojang.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Six wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:

Fuck.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
- Love Mojang.
I lol'd :)

But seriously, I think mojang must have something against FC or something with the way they keep rolling out stuff like this at this kind of rate.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Six wrote: MERRY CHRISTMAS!
- Love Mojang.
Thanks! I was really wishing I'd have a porting Christmas this year :)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Six wrote: MERRY CHRISTMAS!
- Love Mojang.
Thanks! I was really wishing I'd have a porting Christmas this year :)
But then you get to bring the best Christmas gift of all.

Doesn't that make it worth it? ;)
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Looks like Mojang adopted the tweak where sneaking when you right-click makes you use what's in your hand instead of opening a block's inventory. http://imgur.com/a/yfKzB
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Six

Post by Six »

Oh, reading the release log of the snapshot they did at least give you one present FC, they added the sneak-click of blocks not open up the inventory, so things can be placed on them. I remember that was mentioned as something that might be added to the mod.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Katalliaan wrote:Looks like Mojang adopted the tweak where sneaking when you right-click makes you use what's in your hand instead of opening a block's inventory. http://imgur.com/a/yfKzB
Six wrote:Oh, reading the release log of the snapshot they did at least give you one present FC, they added the sneak-click of blocks not open up the inventory, so things can be placed on them. I remember that was mentioned as something that might be added to the mod.
^ Well, something went right this update >.<

I like the firework recipe though. With the needed industry for producing gunpowder, it actually looks rather balanced and will work well as a nice bit of post-automation celebration. Shame that none of the work or effort involved exists in vanilla, huh? ;)
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Six wrote:Oh, reading the release log of the snapshot they did at least give you one present FC, they added the sneak-click of blocks not open up the inventory, so things can be placed on them. I remember that was mentioned as something that might be added to the mod.
This might seem very nitpicky, but I always liked that BTW didn't have this. I think the fact that many many people don't know how to put a handcrank on top of a millstone is an example of "little things" that BTW teaches from vMC.
It's just really a convenience addition, I for one don't like it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

embirrim wrote: This might seem very nitpicky, but I always liked that BTW didn't have this. I think the fact that many many people don't know how to put a handcrank on top of a millstone is an example of "little things" that BTW teaches from vMC.
It's just really a convenience addition, I for one don't like it.
The thing is though, all I'm "teaching" people there is how to workaround vanilla's rather clunky method for pulling that off.

I think in this case the convenience is entirely warranted (much like shift-clicking to inventory). What they're eliminating isn't actually gameplay, it's just busy work brought about by a hole in the interface design.

I'm quite pleased that vanilla is introducing this interface standard as it will likely eliminate some base-class modifications I'd have to do otherwise, because I wouldn't want to put that functionality in the mod (and I had already planned to), without also applying it to vanilla blocks as well.

However, with this announcement, I think it's pretty much confirmed for me that either someone at Mojang is watching these boards, or someone who is watching these boards has Mojang's ear with regards to making suggestions.

It was getting a tad suspicious before how often things I included or was discussing including in BTW were popping into vanilla these days, but I think this just about settles it for me that it is indeed the case.

Not that I at all mind...was just a question that was nagging at the back of my mind the past little while :)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote: However, with this announcement, I think it's pretty much confirmed for me that either someone at Mojang is watching these boards, or someone who is watching these boards has Mojang's ear with regards to making suggestions.
Or it could be that it also exists as part of virtually every modpack that currently gets used (not sure if forge or mod, since RP2 isn't around) and with the combination of Minecon, mojang talking to mod users, and a large number of previously vanilla LPers now trying out FTB and as such spiking it's player base...

I don't think it really matters where it comes from though, it's a smart move on their part.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Damn you you ninja. S'what I wanted to say.

As a matter of fact, rp had it even before btw parted ways with forge.

I'm personally surprised they're only doing it now.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Poppycocks wrote: As a matter of fact, rp had it even before btw parted ways with forge.

I'm personally surprised they're only doing it now.
Yup, I realized. That feature of RP was I think the only one that I asked Eloraam if she minded if I integrated it into BTW back in the day. Can't say I wanted any of the rest of them, but that one was a good idea :)

And the timing is what made me say the above. That's been around for ages, but it gets discussed on the BTW forums within the last couple of weeks, and bam...it's suddenly making its way into vanilla.