Flower's Dev Diary (Week of December 3rd)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (Week of December 3rd)

Post by FlowerChild »

Splee999 wrote: Suddenly I find my motivation to build extensive railways has approximately quintupled. *wipes off drool*
Hehe...yeah, I'm quite pleased with it too. I suspect I'll be building a few bridges myself this coming weekend :)

I think this also highlights one of the advantages to the mod's approach to sub-blocks (I was talking about that the other day). By offering these kinds of primitives instead of free-form sub-blocks, it lends itself to building stuff like this on a large scale. You could do the same thing with free-form sub-blocks, but the amount of detailing work it would require would probably discourage anyone from actually doing so.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Wow FC, you never fail to impress. I'm looking forward to making wooden causeways through any nearby jungles with these new features.

Also, forgive me, but I seem to be drawing a blank. What do you mean by free form blocks? Is that like dirt or cobble?
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

No, he means ones that provide unrestrained freedom *cough* redpower *cough* that you can make any shape out of, while BTW has certain base shapes to build out of.

EDIT: That bridge looks amazing! I will definitely use that a lot in my worlds.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Yup, they're new, but I detailed my plans for them earlier in the thread, and it's pretty obvious what they are from the pic ;)
I read through the thread again. I even searched for the word bench and found nothing. Usually I am good at reading. :-(

But no matter. I'm glad to see you are enjoying yourself with these aesthetic features. It must be quite an experience bringing better than wolves to a close. Such a project as you have said you feel to be the greatest work of your career. :-)
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

As a model Railroad enthusiast, those trestle tables are fucking awesome. Minecart network overhaul AHOY!!!

Thank you again, im looking forward to this as well as RTH. You and your mod are the reason i still play minecraft.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:But no matter. I'm glad to see you are enjoying yourself with these aesthetic features. It must be quite an experience bringing better than wolves to a close. Such a project as you have said you feel to be the greatest work of your career. :-)
Yeah, it's a trip to be sure man, but I'm very excited to be moving onto a "new" project.

I say "new", because of course I'll be still working on Minecraft, and exploring similar concepts, but this will afford me a heck of a lot more freedom in achieving the results I desire, and allow me to experiment with concepts that really wouldn't have been suitable for BTW.

So yes, very exciting times for me. I can't wait to really get rolling on the new stuff, but I also want to make sure that I leave BTW in the polished state I feel it deserves.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

FlowerChild wrote:A little further along:
Spoiler
Show
DAMN. That is so fucking cool, man. It's awesome to see you this fired up. Keep up the excellent work!
brab

Post by brab »

Nexus Trimean wrote:As a model Railroad enthusiast, those trestle tables are fucking awesome. Minecart network overhaul AHOY!!!
I'm also a model railroad fan, and the first thing I though of when I saw that bridge is building a huge rail network, just for the looks of it. This is amazing.
ProjectMayhem

Post by ProjectMayhem »

I haven't seen this mentioned, but one of the things I use a lot is axles for aesthetics. They allow you to make certain structures where fences would create cross-beams.

It's another block that goes really well with this stuff due to similar dimensions. Sometimes I throw in a stake for good measure :)
Democretes

Post by Democretes »

FlowerChild wrote:A little further along: (Epic Pic)
A bridge? Psh. How about the first good looking rolller coaster in MC? I would like to think so.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Ooh shiny! This will be fun to play with!
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Looking good so far. Between this and Tekei popping up again last week, there'll be a great update.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

FlowerChild wrote:A little further along: PURE AWESOME

I don't have the wood fences and benches in yet (that's next), but I thought the above was a nice little demo of the whole trestle idea proposed above. It sure does look purty ;)
Ohmygreatgoodgod!

That is sweet!

Oh, I'm looking forward to playing around with that. Excellent--thanks for this!
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

FlowerChild wrote:A little further along:
Spoiler
Show
Got the fences in for all the sub-block types, and did the auto-connect between table legs and fences that I mentioned :)

I don't have the wood fences and benches in yet (that's next), but I thought the above was a nice little demo of the whole trestle idea proposed above. It sure does look purty ;)
Detritus wrote:Can we expect to be able to sit on benches?
Don't be a rule #1.
good god! That looks awsome!
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...it's funny how the little things can have such a big impact :)

Thanks for the support guys! I'm going to get right back to wrapping these up!
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...it's funny how the little things can have such a big impact :)
The harder and more complex stuff people do most of the times ends up being crap. Simple things that have a big number of uses are the best additions :D
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

I think if you run siding and steps along the bottom in the right way you could make a really nice arch with those over rivers and such. i need to find some extreme hills for the express purpose of making amazing bridges for minecarts to cross.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

And this my friends, is the kind of things flower could do all the time if his hands were not tied behind his back in regards to block ID's.
That is some beautiful stuff there flower. Oozing with potential for someone more creative than I to make something extraordinary.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Also, have you ever thought that slabs and whatnot feel too bulky for a thin walkway wrapping around a tower or up a wall? Table-bench stairs will be brilliant for that.

now all we need are half-slab fences.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ooooo! Doorways! :)
Spoiler
Show
And yes...I got the new wood sub-blocks going too ;)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I have a feeling that if you don't slow down, I'm going to be stuck playing with new BTW toys even after RTH is released :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

There goes my ability to ever build vanilla-style again. While playing Thaumcraft 3 over the past week, I noticed I really, really, really miss the sidings and such and well, I suspect that feeling will only get worse once I've had a chance to play around with these item-combinations...
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Graphite wrote:There goes my ability to ever build vanilla-style again. While playing Thaumcraft 3 over the past week, I noticed I really, really, really miss the sidings and such and well, I suspect that feeling will only get worse once I've had a chance to play around with these item-combinations...
I don't think I can press +1 enough to fully express how much I agree with this statement

A short while later:

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rianaru wrote:I have a feeling that if you don't slow down, I'm going to be stuck playing with new BTW toys even after RTH is released :)
Well, that's part of the idea with "wrapping up" BTW now. I'll likely be out of action for at least a month (maybe more) or so while I develop the initial version of RTH, as there's a certain standard of gameplay I'll want to achieve before releasing anything to the public.

So I want to make sure that I leave you guys with a lot of toys to play with during that time :)

I was originally hoping to totally wrap up BTW this week, but that was waaaay too ambitious of me. It'll likely be at least a couple of more weeks before the "final" release.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Just a month? O_o
Is that like...with sleep and alcohol time too?
<grovels>
We're not worthy...we're not worthy...

A short while later: