Automatic Wheat Farm

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
finite8

Automatic Wheat Farm

Post by finite8 »

My finished (needs Polishing) proof-of-concept design for an automated wheat farm in Minecraft using the Better Than Wolves Mod. Key features are:
- Automatic detection for when wheat is ready for collection.
- Automatic collection of wheat and seeds.
- Automatic replanting of seeds for next cycle.

This current design doesn't use hoppers to reload the Block Dispensers with seeds, but there is nothing stopping that from happening either. At this stage, each Block Dispenser needs to be reloaded with seeds but other than that, it should have a reliable output.

This works by utilizing an undocumented feature of the Block Dispenser. At present, it won't attempt to pick up wheat that has not fully matured, but a Block Detector can still detect the presence of immature wheat. By attaching the Block Dispenser to a clock and using a Block Detector to sense when the wheat has been picked up, we can use this to initiate a harvest cycle.

FC has stated that a method to detect matured wheat is coming, so this design will probably become obsolete in the next Mod release.

Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
BigShinyToys

Re: Automatic Wheat Farm

Post by BigShinyToys »

Nice little farm their. Bit expensive to build legit If you did build it legit nice job. It has given me an idea. You could make it so all the block dispensers are on Turn tables. Why you ask so you can increase you're wheat production by 4X It would allow you to have a lot more bang for you're buck one block dispenser per wheat as opposed to one block dispenser per 4. Other than that Nice little farm there. Are you planing on adding a seed reset system or a chest Home delivery system ?
finite8

Re: Automatic Wheat Farm

Post by finite8 »

BigShinyToys wrote:Nice little farm their. Bit expensive to build legit If you did build it legit nice job. It has given me an idea. You could make it so all the block dispensers are on Turn tables. Why you ask so you can increase you're wheat production by 4X It would allow you to have a lot more bang for you're buck one block dispenser per wheat as opposed to one block dispenser per 4. Other than that Nice little farm there. Are you planing on adding a seed reset system or a chest Home delivery system ?
Seed Reset - Yes. I tried to keep the design reasonably open so i would have the space to add it later. It needs a LOT of seeds before it can get to a self sufficient stage though. It needs enough seeds to have the detector one full as that one will NEVER produce seeds as the Dispenser picks up the wheat directly and doesn't drop any seeds. As long as all the other planters are producing enough seeds to sustain themselves plus the detecting one, it will be self sufficient.
Chest Delivery System - Indeed. That is the plan but i don't use a lot of wheat but if i can design my rail system right i might be able to pull off a multiple Minecart emptier and same-path return system (i hope).

The world is mostly legit. Block Dispensers are all legit (found a ton of dungeons), as well as detectors and pistons. I did get a bit lazy with the redstone though.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing