Even more Thaumcraft 3 goodies!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Even more Thaumcraft 3 goodies!

Post by Sarudak »

I'm really loving the new aspect system. It provides interesting emergent gameplay. For example you can use the iron transmutation to recycle iron armor and tools at a loss. But once i recycled a breastplate that had an enchantment on it and only got a single thaumium ingot because the enchantment added magic aspects! You really have to pay attention to what you put in there! Also the researched system is so much improved.I'm really impressed by what he's done.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

I like how there are no set ways to create and combine essenses, but instead an infinite variety. I spend a good portion of my time thinking of the cleverest, cheapest way to create each item.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

The other thing i thought was interesting is flux. It's pollution. But i was motivated to make some because wisps were the only source of the mutatio essence i could find...
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Heh, finding chaos essence was an absolute bitch for me. I had just been playing through to advance my TC tech rather than playing normally, and netherwart never even occurred to me until hours of searching. Plus, I'm only ever able to find air and water shards, so I haven't been able to upgrade my wand yet
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I hunted whisps to get Chaos. That was a pain! I didn't know netherwort had it. But I've yet to find a nether fort so that wouldn't have helped me much.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

BinoAl wrote:Heh, finding chaos essence was an absolute bitch for me. I had just been playing through to advance my TC tech rather than playing normally, and netherwart never even occurred to me until hours of searching. Plus, I'm only ever able to find air and water shards, so I haven't been able to upgrade my wand yet
same, I found one fire and one earth right at the start, but used them to make wands :<
seriously regretting that now

oh, and a hint for people who need precanto but have hardly any shards:

you can make it out of wood, and nothing else, but it's VERY inefficient and will cause lots of flux if you ever use it as anything other than research material
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Sarudak wrote:I hunted whisps to get Chaos. That was a pain! I didn't know netherwort had it. But I've yet to find a nether fort so that wouldn't have helped me much.
I haven't seen any wisps (although I assume it's because of my uber-anal aura management). Would just filling the crucible with items and releasing it rather than using it corrupt my aura enough to spawn wisps?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Yeah. That's what I did. Although I'm planning to move now cause I get constant thundeerstorms and random giant zombies.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Sarudak wrote:Yeah. That's what I did. Although I'm planning to move now cause I get constant thundeerstorms and random giant zombies.
I'm at a bit of a loss as how to manage flux, do you just have to wait between magic processes or is there something you can do to reduce it? I know at some point you can craft goggles to see it directly, so no idea what level mine is at at the moment. I did however hear a yelp behind me and found a burning pet cat dying there, and found a few wisps, but no giant zombies so far.
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

Wisps remove some of the flux when they spawn, but beyond that I don't know anything.
I was really excited when I saw that TC3 was out, managed to catch it around an hour after release. :P
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

So... What does nitor do? I got curious and made some, and I can't seem to place it anywhere, like the nitor in TC2. Is it just an issue with my installation, or is anyone else completely unable to use it?
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

BinoAl wrote:So... What does nitor do? I got curious and made some, and I can't seem to place it anywhere, like the nitor in TC2. Is it just an issue with my installation, or is anyone else completely unable to use it?
Nah, you can't place it, it's just a crafting ingredient for some stuff down the road.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:
BinoAl wrote:So... What does nitor do? I got curious and made some, and I can't seem to place it anywhere, like the nitor in TC2. Is it just an issue with my installation, or is anyone else completely unable to use it?
Nah, you can't place it, it's just a crafting ingredient for some stuff down the road.
Also (since I have a big tree farm, and Nitor is 6 torches and 2 charcoal (or a little less then 4 wood per nitor)) it's my most common form of the magic. I've used it in a lot of research.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I found growing greatwood trees and even magic tallow to be better sources of magic. And they also produce less flux.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

I've been using arcane workbenches as my source of magic :D

although I guess tallow is 100% free and produces no flux if you can time it right :P
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Sarudak wrote:I found growing greatwood trees and even magic tallow to be better sources of magic. And they also produce less flux.
Haven't gotten there yet myself :).
jaidens111

Post by jaidens111 »

so far in all my thaumcraft experiences ive noticed that golems are amazing at sorting and automation and are amazing to watch.also about the flux manegement i havent had any problems due to the fact i have been a freak about flux management early on.i meen who likes giant zombies spawning on your house?but i do have to agree the golems are amazing i have autmoted so much whith them :P
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

After playing with the golems, it makes me really wish that more mod authors would realize that smaller units that preform a simple task combining to produce a complicated automation system is much more fun than one block doing everything for you. That's what got me hooked on BTW in the first place.
With regards to Thaumcraft 3, the only thing I could ask for is more stuff to do, but I'm assuming that's on the way since it's still on the first release(not counting bugfix releases).
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Six

Post by Six »

Rianaru wrote:After playing with the golems, it makes me really wish that more mod authors would realize that smaller units that preform a simple task combining to produce a complicated automation system is much more fun than one block doing everything for you. That's what got me hooked on BTW in the first place.
With regards to Thaumcraft 3, the only thing I could ask for is more stuff to do, but I'm assuming that's on the way since it's still on the first release(not counting bugfix releases).

Yeah, playing through TC3 really highlighted a point I've noticed for a while with a lot of mods vs BTW. Most mods add really complex blocks (/golems), which you combine to do simple things, whereas BTW adds pretty simple (and restrictive) blocks which you combine to do complex things. The latter is really what you want in a sandbox game.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Six wrote:

Yeah, playing through TC3 really highlighted a point I've noticed for a while with a lot of mods vs BTW. Most mods add really complex blocks (/golems), which you combine to do simple things, whereas BTW adds pretty simple (and restrictive) blocks which you combine to do complex things. The latter is really what you want in a sandbox game.
I actually meant that golems are relatively simple. While they make farming ridiculously easy and should be rebalanced in that aspect(at least in my opinion), making good sorting system would involve a complicated array of a small army of golems. I agree that golems in general could use a rebalance, but it's definitely way better than a single block that can sort through a significant percentage of the objects and blocks in the game on its own. At least it follows the 'simple in concept, complex in design' mantra that my professor likes. One golem can preform a simple task and is easy to set up, but many can form a complex system that can be extremely useful. The same idea applies to BTW. The BD eats and spits out blocks. Nearly useless on its own, but allows for extremely complex and effective machines in which it is only a small part of the whole.

I'm just happy that there's still a challenge with golems, instead of making them almost as capable of everything as Steve :)
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Six

Post by Six »

Rianaru wrote:I'm just happy that there's still a challenge with golems, instead of making them almost as capable of everything as Steve :)
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, the golems are amazing. A really really interesting way to do a more indirect and emergent automation. But also way more complex as singular pieces than say, a hopper.
ProjectMayhem

Post by ProjectMayhem »

I'm playing Thaumcraft 3 with Factorization and Extra Biomes XL. It's tons of fun. Watch out for Factorization's high end content though, it's a bit OP, though very expensive. Automating the ore processing of Factorization with golems is hella fun.
Thyrllann

Post by Thyrllann »

Hehe. I'm just waiting for Azanor to add Golems riding bats - he liked that idea on the MCF thread, but I'd probably just use it for the cuteness :P

I must say though, Thaumcraft automation looks a hell of a lot cooler than all the tech mods' methods do.
A crowded thaumatorium is a good thaumatorium!
FlowerChild wrote:MCF would probably not approve of "you've got a massive spider-cock stuck in your throat" status effect.
Calcifire3691

Post by Calcifire3691 »

I actually made a golem auto-smelter earlier today that will form part of my (nearly) all-golem sorting system :D

it requires three stone golems, an arcane ear, two note blocks, two pressure plates, a dispenser, and two chests minimum (one of which being a hungry chest) , five golems and three chests if you if you want to have a buffer chest to make sure unsmeltable items don't get accidentally destroyed

doing the more complex version, a pair of brainy stone golems takes the predefined smeltable items to an input buffer chest, and a regular stone golem takes them to a dispenser set up so it will drop items into the furnace.

the dispenser is activated by an arcane ear paired with a noteblock triggered by a pressure plate positioned so that the golem MUST walk over it when delivering the input items a minimum of two times (once on the way, once back)

the dispenser spits the item into the furnace where it is smelted and deposited into a hungry chest.

another stone golem picks up the smelted item from the chest, and places it back in the initial input chest where I'll set up some more golems to take ingots, cooked food, and nuggets to the main sorting system, this golem also walks over a noteblock trigger twice to keep the dispenser spitting items out until all have been smelted.

since the final version of this will be implemented on an FTB server, I'll have to use more golems for the input buffer to accomodate the larger amount of smeltables and nuggets (my current sysyem uses about 8 due to the amount of redundancies I've put in, since the furnace destroys non smeltables), and I'll set up a series of factorization packagers with a clay and stone golem each to turn the nuggets into ingots and return the ingots back to the input chest (I'd prefer the arcane workbench to work with golems the same way autocrafting tables work with BC pipes, since that's the only part of the entire system that isn't TC3, and I've made a vow to use a TC item over any other mod's, but whatever, nothing's perfect :P)

I've also added more noteblocks and pressure plates to the output golem's path to put more items into the furnace for faster processing :P

I love the arcane ear as well, although it makes me really miss BTW's tuning forks :P (the "it also listens to the noise and not just the note" is pretty nice as well)
I've not got into using them much yet, but the fact that using them extensively will make my house sound like some sort of insane magical musical funhouse is making me excited :P
(although, I'm probably going to end up feeling the need to tune all of the blocks so it doesn't sound like an explosion in a piano factory)
ignika42

Post by ignika42 »

I almost can't believe it, could it be? A reason to play MC outside of BTW?!

Why yes, it appears it is!

the original Thaumcraft, and then Thaumcraft 2 were some of my favorite mods back before my BTW-enlightenment, and Azanor really seems to of outdone himself with TC3.

I downloaded it the other day after seeing this topic started playing it yesterday, and this new research system is addicting!
Spoiler
Show
Just crafted my first Wand of Excavation, and it is amazing, totally worth the hour of being lost underground looking for earth shards, made leveling out the area for my planned mob trap a blast as well
Now to get back to researching these golems everybody is talking about!
A madman sat in his empire of dust and ashes. Little knowing of the glory he would achieve. Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen.