Don't Starve

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Battosay

Re: Don't Starve

Post by Battosay »

Really loving the new update :)
6 Hounds attacked me on the first night I logged in, and when I killed them they caught fire right next to my berry bushes ... Lost all of them (around 50), and all my grass and trees. Good thing I had 20 more on my other camp, but that's probably the last ones in my world ^^
Before them I was pretty much set for life, and had almost no reason to die whatsoever. I have 6 stacks of 40 berries, 3 stacks of 20 steacks, 12 pig houses and 8 turbo farm plot.
I found the best way to avoid the Ent is to *tame* some Piggy for chopping trees. Give them meat and they'll follow you for one day. Punch wood and they'll do the same. I usually take 4 or 5 with me, go to my forest area, hit the trees to leave them to a "1-hit-kill", and let the pigs finish them. When an Ent come, it'll attack the pigs and not you, you'll get their meat and skins, and the Ent will stick around, killing the future pigs from my farms for me ^^
There's also a range weapon now, shooting bees :)
Noodlerex

Post by Noodlerex »

Well, that was disappointing. Apparently they added something in the new release that made the game unplayable on windows XP, Wish I'd know that before I'd bought it, and to make things worse the laptop I run windows 7 on can't install steam, ah well, probably time for an upgrade soon.
FlowerChild wrote: Never trust a bronie.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Battosay wrote:Really loving the new update :)
6 Hounds attacked me on the first night I logged in, and when I killed them they caught fire right next to my berry bushes ... Lost all of them (around 50), and all my grass and trees. Good thing I had 20 more on my other camp, but that's probably the last ones in my world ^^
Before them I was pretty much set for life, and had almost no reason to die whatsoever. I have 6 stacks of 40 berries, 3 stacks of 20 steacks, 12 pig houses and 8 turbo farm plot.
I found the best way to avoid the Ent is to *tame* some Piggy for chopping trees. Give them meat and they'll follow you for one day. Punch wood and they'll do the same. I usually take 4 or 5 with me, go to my forest area, hit the trees to leave them to a "1-hit-kill", and let the pigs finish them. When an Ent come, it'll attack the pigs and not you, you'll get their meat and skins, and the Ent will stick around, killing the future pigs from my farms for me ^^
There's also a range weapon now, shooting bees :)
Wow, hounds look quite scary. I'll be playing a bit more today, I've started to get myself some armor and a base set up again. The backpack helps A LOT in the first 3-4 nights, at least until you research chests.
Just a FYI, 'Q' and 'E' rotate the map in the same way that the arrows do. 'TAB' displays the world map, but I guess everybody has figured that out by now.

EDIT:So after playing a bit more, I'm around day 20 and I've had two sets of hounds attack me. Fortunately it was in the morning. You can easily outrun them, so it's always a good idea to have a torch (?) in your inventory so you can safely run away from your camp in case they come.
Also, Get some beehives. Although honey doesn't satisfy your stomach a lot, it is the best way to heal up (till now, I don't have the crock pot) from spider encounters or other scares(like eating certain stuff =P). And bees are quite a lot of fun to capture and make hives, it's a nice process all around.
Swamps are bloody scary, those purple arms can fuck you up real bad and real quick. Also, to whoever told me to get a logsuit, thank you very much. My survivability went up enourmously.
Really enjoying the game atm. I do wish the "score" component wasn't obligatory, and that there should be a more casual gamemode, but it is very good all the same. It is an interesting approach, there is almost an incentive to die. The game is designed around you eventually dying, and then restarting with immediate access to more powerful material. So, it should increase your day count exponentially. It's interesting.
Last edited by embirrim on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Day 5 on my first run. I was growing a fairly manly beard, had a good start on a stockpile of resources, had transplanted everything I thought I could need, and my science machine was really rolling. While hanging around my firepit one night, these weird-looking dog-like things shot out of the dark. I killed the first one with my shovel, then I tracked onto the third one with my axe. I like to think it was a close fight, but, in the end, I succumbed.

Good game.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

my poor record is 14 days
tried to kill a Ent and faild
btw: don't try to kill the ghost is useless, you won nothing and it will kill you very fast
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

maxsi wrote:my poor record is 14 days
tried to kill a Ent and faild
btw: don't try to kill the ghost is useless, you won nothing and it will kill you very fast
Yeah, you can only harvest a grave once per world. Once you die, you can't go back and get another/same item.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

embirrim wrote: Yeah, you can only harvest a grave once per world. Once you die, you can't go back and get another/same item.
You sure about that? I just dug out a bunch of graves last night that I had also dug out in my previous play through, and I got items from each. Not the same items mind you, but still items.

I suppose it could be a one time thing as a result of the version update, but I didn't get that impression.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

FlowerChild wrote:
You sure about that? I just dug out a bunch of graves last night that I had also dug out in my previous play through, and I got items from each. Not the same items mind you, but still items.

I suppose it could be a one time thing as a result of the version update, but I didn't get that impression.
Uh. I would've sworn I'd read that on their forums, and I later confirmed it through playthrough. A ghost spawned in the grave I'd previously dug up.

Actually, it'd make sense that graves just have a chance of spawning a ghost and you got lucky/ I didn't get lucky.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Pro Tip: Don't eat monster meat, doesn't sit well! I had such a nice beard too...
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

EpicAaron wrote:Pro Tip: Don't eat monster meat, doesn't sit well! I had such a nice beard too...
Depends how healthy you are. If you have high health, it can be a useful emergency backup.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Interesting. The world generation seems to have undergone a major overhaul in the last release.

Maybe it already had a number of world types, but my previous one was based on a series of circular platforms, kinda like biomes, that were connected by stone bridges. It kinda reminded me of Risu's biosphere mod.

I decided to just start a new world, as I was tired of knowing where everything was in mine, and this one is radically different and seems to be much more wide open.

Anyways, for anyone that has been playing awhile, you might want to consider starting a new world. If you're worried: it still keeps all your research and level progress if you do so, and just gives you different terrain.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote: I found the best way to avoid the Ent is to *tame* some Piggy for chopping trees.
I've yet to master the way of the pig, but one method I've found of dealing with Ents is to build open fires (the ones without stone). Fire spreads from them, and if you can lead an Ent over one, he'll burst into flames. Chain him around like that for awhile and he'll burn to death.

I suspect fire spreads from him too though, so obviously don't do this near your crops ;)
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

So, are you guys all playing the Steam build?

I'm on a Mac, so have been checking out the demo on Chrome, but I don't have much experience with that browser/store, so just curious.

Definitely wanting to pick this one up.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Playing on Chrome and no problem whatsoever.

@FC I suspect that it's the same for everybody, the first maps (one or two) are round islands with bridges, & then you get (more) open maps.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

thekyz wrote: @FC I suspect that it's the same for everybody, the first maps (one or two) are round islands with bridges, & then you get (more) open maps.
Huh. Interesting. I'm not sure what I like more. The more open maps are interesting for the difference, but I know I had a few very long bridges in my original map, and I liked that aspect as I had to plan the journey across them rather carefully to make sure I didn't get caught on one when the sun set, or trapped on the other side without enough resources to get through the night.

I found it kinda helped break things up a bit, and made the world feel a bit more spooky, like I was in some kind of artificial experiment.
ignika42

Post by ignika42 »

Amazing game, I saw this topic, read through it, went and tried the demo through chrome, and already I'm hooked.
A madman sat in his empire of dust and ashes. Little knowing of the glory he would achieve. Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Couldn't figure out what the crockpot did until a few moments ago. Finally just filled it with meat and it made myself soup without having to light it. Quite similar to the cauldrons in BTW!
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

EpicAaron wrote:Couldn't figure out what the crockpot did until a few moments ago. Finally just filled it with meat and it made myself soup without having to light it. Quite similar to the cauldrons in BTW!
There is a whole miriad of stuff you can make in there, I saw a post on their forums detailing most of the recipes. Didn't read it all though, I'd like to experiment myself. But from what I saw in other people's posts, I think you can place sticks in there and twigs as "placeholders" and get stuff like kebabs and such.
Wookieguy

Post by Wookieguy »

I am seriously considering this game. My first day in the demo, I punched a spider nest. Wow. Quick way to die! Never thought I would look forward to death, but I am quite happy every time I do pass away.

*cracks open wallet*

Well, I am spending my money on not starving... I'll call that a worthy cause.
Estimated airspeed velocity of an unladen European swallow: 24 mph
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Wookieguy wrote:I am seriously considering this game. My first day in the demo, I punched a spider nest. Wow. Quick way to die! Never thought I would look forward to death, but I am quite happy every time I do pass away.

*cracks open wallet*

Well, I am spending my money on not starving... I'll call that a worthy cause.
To be honest, I'm half expecting this to appear on a Humble Bundle before long...
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

I havn't found any real use for the new projectile weapon other then sedating a gobbler. Using them on smaller game seems pointless and two darts failed to knock a pigman unconscious. I tried one dart on a tall bird to see if i could steal it's eggs but 1 dart was ineffective.

There was a point in the development where tall birds would de-aggro after a particular range from their nest. That doesn't seem to happen anymore but you used to be able to steal an egg and come back a few minutes later only to see them laying another one.

Otherwise i tend to camp near beefalo's all time, not only does it provide a constant source of fertilizer but the beefalo serve as cover when the wolves come. Wolves are rather indiscriminate and will attack them eventually.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I'm starting to think that I need to get this game even though it's in beta....
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I'm starting to think that I need to get this game even though it's in beta....
It feels very complete man. Not really like a beta at all. I've also yet to run into a single bug.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Kazuya Mishima wrote:I havn't found any real use for the new projectile weapon other then sedating a gobbler. Using them on smaller game seems pointless and two darts failed to knock a pigman unconscious. I tried one dart on a tall bird to see if i could steal it's eggs but 1 dart was ineffective.

There was a point in the development where tall birds would de-aggro after a particular range from their nest. That doesn't seem to happen anymore but you used to be able to steal an egg and come back a few minutes later only to see them laying another one.

Otherwise i tend to camp near beefalo's all time, not only does it provide a constant source of fertilizer but the beefalo serve as cover when the wolves come. Wolves are rather indiscriminate and will attack them eventually.
I haven't used it, but have you tried the pan flute on the tall birds? I know they aggro if you steal the egg, but I think if you wait long enough, a few days, they will eventually de-aggro. Think.
And I agree with the beefalos camp, although it gets pretty annoying at night, they make such a racket.

For begginners, I strongly suggest that you cook EVERYTHING you eat before you do. it can boost up the percentage of food you have by nearly double.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

embirrim wrote:
I haven't used it, but have you tried the pan flute on the tall birds? I know they aggro if you steal the egg, but I think if you wait long enough, a few days, they will eventually de-aggro. Think.
And I agree with the beefalos camp, although it gets pretty annoying at night, they make such a racket.
I totally forgot about that panflute thing good idea. It was introduced before the tall bird and i guess i never considered they are possibly putting in features that are useless in teh present but will be usefull in the future. Will try to harvest eggs in the future but i killed the only tall bird nest i could find.

In my last world i had 4 tall nests next to each other. I've had tall birds chase me tremendous distances after a theft, before it was less than 10 seconds distance in 1 direction.