What are you reading?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Pseudosavior

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Pseudosavior »

I just recently picked up H.P Lovecraft's "Great Tales of Horror"; a collection of 20 of his works. I've read some of his stories in years past, but when I saw this at the store, I practically drooled over it. Haven't had much time to read it yet, but I'll have plenty during the dead hours of my college tomorrow. :)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I have been reading a lot of Michael Crichton, most recently his latest (and last , unfortunately) book Micro. I also read a couple books on relativity and quantum physics (feel free to call me nerd, I'm pround of it)
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

I've been re-reading the Wheel of Time Series to refresh my memory for the release of Memory of Light in Jan. Currently on Lord of Chaos. Must read faster!

-Jeet
haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

Whoa, Memory of Light will be out in Jan? Awesome! ...re-reading the series isn't a bad idea, considering how much happens in those books.

Thanks to this thread, I now know that Michael Crichton is dead... I loved Prey, so I'm all sad inside. Time to dust off the Jurassic Park laser disc, I guess. (does anyone else remember laser discs? xD)

I haven't had much time for a physical book in a while, unfortunately. I've been considering Asimov, but if Memory of Light really is due out so soon, I may find myself diving back into Robert Jordan's writing.
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
Rich131

Post by Rich131 »

Haven't read a book in awhile, really need to get back into it. I did however, pick up "Hacking Exposed" in my college library today. Feels weird to be reading from paper and not a screen for a change!
Yesterday, today was tomorrow & tomorrow, today will be yesterday.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Currently reading The Brothers Karamazov and Het Bamischandaal. The latter is a bit of a downer, I had higher expectations of it.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Het Bamischandaal? Now I'm hungry. :(
Nexus Trimean

Post by Nexus Trimean »

Just finished Dune for the first time, starting on Messiah, as well as working my way through the Shanara books. (up to High Druid, started with sword.)

I absolutely love reading, so much so that it tends to get me into trouble. i start reading at 8PM and i look up at the clock and its 4am, and i have to be to work in 3 hours >< that happens to me a lot.
Thyrllann

Post by Thyrllann »

Wheel of Time? I'm on The Shadow Rising, so I've got a loooong way to go before Jan. Cant wait for AMoL!
FlowerChild wrote:MCF would probably not approve of "you've got a massive spider-cock stuck in your throat" status effect.
asjova

Post by asjova »

I am currently reading Nemesis by Asimov and Cry the Beloved Country before that. Next in the stack is Genesis by Poul Anderson.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Currently reading A Game Of Thrones (first in the recently adapted-for-HBO book series) by George R.R. Martin and A Universe From Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather Than Nothing by Lawrence Krauss. Both pretty interesting!

Also, thought of this because of Psuedosavior's post:
For those who want a beautiful volume containing all Lovecraft's fiction, I'd recommend heading to your nearest Barnes & Noble. I found this in my brother's room not too long ago when I was home and break, and flipped out over it (it's really fucking cool in person.) When he told me it only cost him $20, I got in the car immediately to purchase my own copy. Super cool book. I think one poem is missing (Night-Gaunts) but honestly it's still the best Lovecraft book I've ever seen.
Last edited by agentwiggles on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

I love B&N's leather bound classics series. I've always wanted to pick up more of them. I've had the Edgar Allan Poe version for a couple years now and it is seriously gorgeous. If the Lovecraft one is anything like it, it's definitely worth the buy!
xou816

Post by xou816 »

I'm currently reading Game of Thrones too, and enjoying it so far, bu tI'm looking forward to read Winter of the World by Ken Follet (I really loved the first book from the Century trilogy, Fall of Giants). Just waiting for it to come out in a "small format" ("format poche" in French, dunno how to say that =p) since I bought Fall of Giants in that format (and I just *couldn't* buy the book in a different format!^^).
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Miss_Kat wrote:I love B&N's leather bound classics series. I've always wanted to pick up more of them. I've had the Edgar Allan Poe version for a couple years now and it is seriously gorgeous. If the Lovecraft one is anything like it, it's definitely worth the buy!
Couldn't agree more - was blown away by some of the options I saw on the B&N website, as the local one didn't stock all of them. The value on those things just seriously can't be beat, to get a book that pretty with something like all the Hitchhiker's Guide novels or Asimov's Foundation trilogy in it for $20 bucks is almost ridiculous.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

The Song of Ice and Fire series(of which Game of Thrones is the first book) is fantastic. I'm caught up to whatever George Martin has written, and I have to say that if you like the first book, you will not be able to put down the last couple of books until you've finished at least a few hundred pages :) I spent a full 24 hours reading because I COULD NOT STOP AND WAIT LONGER TO FIND OUT WHAT CAME NEXT! And I have to say that George Martin is one of the most talented authors I've read, if not the most talented. Yes, I'm raving, and yes, I'm a Song of Ice and Fire fanatic :D

...please don't judge me...
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I'm rather boring and am reading various investment/stock market strategy nonfiction books.

I do still read the occasional novel when I have time. Last one I read was the Bride Collector by Ted DekKer. One of my favorite authors of all time. My user name is actually from one of his books.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

dawnraider wrote:I have been reading a lot of Michael Crichton, most recently his latest (and last , unfortunately) book Micro. I also read a couple books on relativity and quantum physics (feel free to call me nerd, I'm pround of it)
Me too!!!
I remember being a kid, and sneaking my parents books at night and reading them. Timeline and Prey were my favs!
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

I'm too muck of a nerd to actually invest in physical books, so I've been keeping myself entertained with a fanfic called Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (hpmor.com). AU where Harry grows up with a scientist, and learns to think rationally and critically.

Currently with more words than the first four canon novels, and more intelligently written than the originals too, imo.

Definitely not for everyone, though. The science-speak and pop culture shoutouts can be really confusing to those out of the loop.
-J-

Post by -J- »

Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski for the second time. Still love that book.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
UnresponsiveIcon

Post by UnresponsiveIcon »

I just picked up The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel and really loving it. I'm a sucker for a good fantasy novel.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

I'm about to fire up "Year of the Flood" by Margaret Atwood. I loved "Oryx and Crake" and my Wife just finished reading Year of the Flood and she is dying for me to read it so she can start gas bagging to me about it.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I'm reading "The Bartimaeus Trilogy" at the moment. I don't know if any of you would enjoy it, but I've found it to be a wonderful story, both because of the way it's written and the content.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Detritus wrote:I'm reading "The Bartimaeus Trilogy" at the moment. I don't know if any of you would enjoy it, but I've found it to be a wonderful story, both because of the way it's written and the content.
I really liked that series, but there was one thing that bothered me about it. It seemed very directed at younger teenagers, and lacked some of the depth I would have expected. Still a good read, but I think it had more potential than what it turned out to be.

A short while later:

Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Rianaru wrote:
Detritus wrote:I'm reading "The Bartimaeus Trilogy" at the moment. I don't know if any of you would enjoy it, but I've found it to be a wonderful story, both because of the way it's written and the content.
I really liked that series, but there was one thing that bothered me about it. It seemed very directed at younger teenagers, and lacked some of the depth I would have expected. Still a good read, but I think it had more potential than what it turned out to be.
Ha, well I am a younger teenager :P. I do agree that it didn't really go far enough in what it did, but it's a good read all the same.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Detritus wrote: Ha, well I am a younger teenager :P. I do agree that it didn't really go far enough in what it did, but it's a good read all the same.
I was too when I read it, but the average young teenager isn't very intelligent. I would assume that you're more intelligent than average given the lack of 'Y U NO' way of speaking and the fact that you play BTW, which takes a certain level of intelligence/problem solving skills. And I'm not denying that it's a good read, like I said before. I just think that a more satisfying read might come from books directed at an older audience. If I may suggest a few authors/series in that vein:
Terry Pratchet is a good author if you like satire, irony, and some fantasy
The Dragonlance universe is good if you like hardcore fantasy
I mentioned A Song of Ice and Fire saga(a difficult and extremely long read if you're up to the challenge) by George Martin as well as several classic sci-fi authors in my previous posts
The White Mountain trilogy is a good series(post-apocalyptic science fiction) directed at young adults, but it has more depth than you'll see in most books directed at that audience
The Pendragon series is an interesting one. It's directed to an age group around 13-15 as far as I can tell, and I'm not sure how to categorize it. I suppose science fiction would cover it, but it's a poor description. The first several books were good, but I'm not sure about the last ones
Tolkien. In my opinion, the best author of all time, closely followed by George Martin. The amount of detail and depth and backstory that he puts into his universe is completely unparalleled by any author before or since. Just to give you an idea of how much detail there is, he personally created over 20 languages, each with their own unique grammar and vocabulary(and he made a sign language, as if twenty something wasn't enough), to add more depth to middle-earth. Screw Poe and the existentialists, read a few of Tolkien's compositions and your study of English literature will benefit far more. The man was a genius, to say the least.

A short while later: