Flower's Dev Diary (Week of November 12th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Syruse

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (Week of November 12th)

Post by Syruse »

Moments like that are what make playing games fun :P
Needless to say, I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the next release :)
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Syruse wrote:Moments like that are what make playing games fun :P
Needless to say, I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the next release :)
Well, keep in mind that was just a test. I temporarily modified the code to spawn an ungodly number of lightning bolts to make sure the block in question was working right, and as one would expect, my framerate of course tanked in the process.

Don't expect it to be a crazed lightning generator. That screenshot just proves the thing works :)
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

So Steve can now control the weather? Or is it just a lighting pole where the lighting is redirected?
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Oh, man. Lightning rods. That is SO cool. *drools*

EDIT: Pure speculation - through an ungodly amount of work, this would make it possible to create an (inefficient) Zombie Pigman farm in the Overworld. It would also (through even more silly work) let you create a charged Creeper farm, although I'm not sure what the point of that would be...

Anything else lightning strikes can be used to do? (insert DeLorian reference here)
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

but what purpose could harnessing lightning serve?
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

FlowerChild wrote: Well, keep in mind that was just a test. I temporarily modified the code to spawn an ungodly number of lightning bolts to make sure the block in question was working right, and as one would expect, my framerate of course tanked in the process.

Don't expect it to be a crazed lightning generator. That screenshot just proves the thing works :)
Lightning rods are pretty cool, man, something tells me that they wont just be used to attract lightning. It makes me wonder if we'll be summoning Lovecraftian horrors with them in the future :D
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Detritus wrote:but what purpose could harnessing lightning serve?
Not sure if there are any that wouldn't be relatively technologically advanced. I know that with the right soil composition lighting rods embedded in the ground and struck can yield glass but not in any controlled fashion where it can be sculpted.

Otherwise i'm thinking some aspect of magic.
Ancilangeli

Post by Ancilangeli »

im just speculating here guys but... maybe its just a lightning rod?
how to take a no like a sir
Spoiler
Show
a forum user after being told they couldnt do something wrote:Alright, that's all I wanted to know, thank you very much.

I think that this closes the issue. Thread can be locked.
PureZaros

Post by PureZaros »

Ancilangeli wrote:im just speculating here guys but... maybe its just a lightning rod?
Seen the latest release yet? It is just a lightning rod.
That doesn't mean it couldn't be something more in the future though. There have been discussions of Frankenstein-esque creature creation before... We'll just have to wait for FC to grace our minds with more of his nightmarish (and thoroughly awesome) updates.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:
Panda wrote:Edit: Thanks for the sticky good sir. <3
I really wish more women said things like this.
Ancilangeli

Post by Ancilangeli »

PureZaros wrote: That doesn't mean it couldn't be something more in the future though. There have been discussions of Frankenstein-esque creature creation before... We'll just have to wait for FC to grace our minds with more of his nightmarish (and thoroughly awesome) updates.
between my recent realization that the mod added more than mechanical blocks and advanced alchemy/metallurgy and what you just said there this mod is starting to scare me a little... but in a good way
how to take a no like a sir
Spoiler
Show
a forum user after being told they couldnt do something wrote:Alright, that's all I wanted to know, thank you very much.

I think that this closes the issue. Thread can be locked.
chai

Post by chai »

Detritus wrote:but what purpose could harnessing lightning serve?
Oh, this and that.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Not to be a pest but are we going to see a new dev journal soon? They've turned into something of a highlight of my mondays. :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oooo...shiny!
Spoiler
Show
I was just playing around with the code for various objects sticking to other objects (like planting Stakes in Axles with the proper orientation for example) and came across that little aesthetic gem. You can't do it in the current release, but will be able to in the next.

I didn't think much of the stone fences when they were released, but the above definitely give them a special look.

Me likey :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Not to be a pest but are we going to see a new dev journal soon? They've turned into something of a highlight of my mondays. :D
I was considering writing one this morning, but then sat down to do so and realized that saying:

"Meh...still feeling down....still working on technical details in the meantime"

Didn't make for a very inspiring dev diary :)

I'm still being very productive on the mod, but it's more stuff like I pictured above. Little bits of polish here and there that are pretty much purely involve programming.

Will get back on track, but for now I seem to be most inclined towards doing that kind of thing, which just doesn't translate well into me writing long posts about it.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Interesting. I had mentally passed over the existence of cobble walls as I have with many things added in vanilla... :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Interesting. I had mentally passed over the existence of cobble walls as I have with many things added in vanilla... :P
Yeah, same for me. I had made a few, tried them out for a couple of minutes, then stashed the remnants in a chest where they probably would have forever remained.

However, in testing out various interactions involving blocks sticking to each other, I popped them out just to make sure they were working right, and coincidentally used a lightning rod as a test case.

Was pleasantly surprised by the results :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:"Meh...still feeling down....still working on technical details in the meantime"
Bummer man. Hope you get to feeling better soon. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: Bummer man. Hope you get to feeling better soon. :)
Thanks man. I think it's just a combination of recent drama on the forums, and a huge number of face-palms related to the announcements coming out of Mojang from minecon.

Inevitably, all I have to do to get depressed is just listen to them talk about their future plans for MC :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:Inevitably, all I have to do to get depressed is just listen to them talk about their future plans for MC :)
Well if it hurts stop doing it. ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: Well if it hurts stop doing it. ;)
Yeah, true enough. I do like to keep informed with regards to what they're planning though as it helps me adjust my plans for the mod to accommodate theirs.

The news is just arriving in concentrated bursts right now, causing it to feel overwhelming. Normally, I get to space my face-palms out over time ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

You should be careful about that. I believe I recently read a study from Harvard showing an association between facepalming and cancer! This is your health at stake man!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yay! My test-cases illustrating the fruits of my labors described above:
Spoiler
Show
All done with very few and very easy to maintain base-class mods, thanks to my new found block.class modifying ways. Also all setup as proper hooks so that add-on authors can make use of this kind of thing as well.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

At long last! We can finally stick torches to the sides of sidings once again! Thanks for your hard work, FC. Those new changes are going to look awesome!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Oh that's what it is! Damn I'm slow. That will be wonderfully useful! Thanks for that unexpected ability!
Educated_Fool

Post by Educated_Fool »

Torches on the sides of pedestals! O_o

*drools*
I can see clearly now my brain is gone.