Spinning Ideas [Trying to not lose hope...]

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
redrew89

Spinning Ideas [Trying to not lose hope...]

Post by redrew89 »

So, those who have been spending time on IRC might know bits and pieces of what I've been up to, lately. Between jobs, trying to figure out how I can further my career, and still work with the people that I live with, who have their own obligations. It seems like the situation has been sufficiently changed to a point where I must innovate in order to make things work out. Here's what I'm looking at:

Due to circumstances unforeseen, we are now down to one vehicle. This is being used to get two people to a third-shift job, as well as one person to a part-time daylight job. I had been looking at taking a position that interested me, but the schedule of that job overlaps with working hours for other people, making transportation a hurdle.

My options are thus:

1. Stay unemployed/self-employed for the time being; collect unemployment.

2. Sub-contract through various agencies in the area, to do service, support, installation and other technical work, according to my own schedule and availability. Also work on self-employment in the area, by gaining customers for support and service work.

3. Continue to work on re-invigorating my YouTube (and potentially streaming) pursuits, in order to generate enough traffic to make advertising worthwhile. As a small, trickle income.

4. Take a part-time job, according to the hours I would have access to the vehicle.

If I can, I might just take on two or three, and see what my weekly income looks like. If I can make enough money, that I would no longer qualify for UC, I might be in a position to make things work out. Then, next spring I can hopefully resume my stated career goals. Everyone should be getting an acceptable tax-return, and that money can be used to get a few vehicles straightened out.

So, anyone have some advice on this one? I think I know what I'm doing, but I just want some feedback from wiser, more experienced folk.
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
Indras

Re: Spinning Ideas [Trying to not lose hope...]

Post by Indras »

I was in a fairly similar situation before I started my current job, almost ten years ago. I was staying in an apartment with my roommate in Lansing, MI. Job hunting was frustrating.

In the end, I moved back home. Well, onto my grandparents' couch. I picked up a local factory job that was close enough that I could walk to work. After a month of solid paychecks, I was able to get my own apartment and move out. I lived on ramen noodles, canned vegetables, and macaroni and cheese for months. But honestly, I didn't really get ahead until I got a promotion, from $10/hr to $14, and also went from 35 hours a week to 50+. A good solid income opens a lot of doors.

I don't have much experience with home/self-employment. I've done some minor computer repairs for family and friends, usually $50 a pop. I don't know if I could survive long term on it, so I can't really recommend it. If you have experience with it and feel it is sustainable, though, go for it.

As for labor agencies, I'm all for it. I went through a temp agency for over a year while in college. One of the places I went to, a warehouse, ended up hiring me full time when they found I could fit in a 40-hr week around my classes. The pay was crappy, but it was awesome at the time.

In the end, you need to do what you think you will feel the most content with. It sounds like option #3 can be done in combination with any of the other three, so that's almost a no-brainer to do on the side. In your shoes, I'd go into a job-placement or temp agency in your area, specify technical work, as that gives better pay. Tread water while you wait for them to place you. Keep your eyes peeled for cheap junk vehicles.

Good luck!
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Limited information makes it hard to offer advice.
- What is the career/experience & how long would you have to be employed to payoff your debt + build a buffer vs. being self-employed?
- Why are all of the options you listed part-time or self-employed?
redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

PatrickSJ wrote:Limited information makes it hard to offer advice.
- What is the career/experience & how long would you have to be employed to payoff your debt + build a buffer vs. being self-employed?
- Why are all of the options you listed part-time or self-employed?
1. Computer Service/Network Administration/Technical Support. As of now, the major concern is just getting rent caught up. With the right sub-contracting agency, I could potentially make just as much as a comparable full-time job for fewer man-hours of work.

2. Scheduling and transportation issues are what are currently making the option of full-time work impractical. Once we have more than one vehicle, again, that will no longer be a problem.

However, I can afford to bide time, for a bit, and collect unemployment for a couple of weeks, until I can get a feel for how the situation will play out. I know, it doesn't make much sense... It's hard to explain without getting into details I'm not comfortable sharing.
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

No, that's fine. I was mostly wondering about the time aspect. More time = more money, but if you had a reason why you need fewer or flex hours...

Regarding the career: If you admin a network I assume you have some sort of certification to make yourself more marketable.

Are you willing to travel & have you considered a consulting job? If so, try companies such as BAE and try to get a consulting job. BAE uses consultants to program routers & build network infrastructure for the government though you may need gov't clearance so ex-gov't/ex-military has preference. Is there a local Cisco office or teleco? If you are willing to travel then you wouldn't need the car as much, but the hours... Bleh.

If you want to stay local then is public transportation okay or no-go for your work commute? Would the cost of transportation be sufficiently offset by the extra pay you receive? Can you bike to a subway/bus? Some buses let you rack your bike or you can buy a folding bike.