Worried about block ID's

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Damion Rayne

Re: Worried about block ID's

Post by Damion Rayne »

KriiEiter wrote:
gftweek wrote:
I'd say the main reason Notch hasn't done this as it would require change save files (which he'd prefer not to do), and he currently has no reason to implement this as there are plenty of block ids available for vMC usage, he doesn't have to allow for mods, it is after all his code.
Well, he's already changed the saves once, and plans to do it again in 1.8, so why not give even himself more room for more blocks?
He does not, and has stated no such thing. I will state yet again that all he is changing is how the world is generated, not saved. As for who is and isn't a programmer, that doesn't matter. I got my question answered by the person here who is actually a proven programmer and I'm good with his response.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
"Teamwork, Maturity, Tactics, http://www.tacticalgamer.com"
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

There's not going to be a change to the save system. It was changed once, to make worlds MUCH more compact, and that was it. 1.8 changes terrain generation entirely-- the chunks of that terrain will still be saved exactly the same way.

However, as for the possibility of a drastic change to the system if Notch realizes he's cutting it too close with block IDs, I can see it happening. The game is still in Beta (technically) and it's not like he would do it without ensuring old worlds would be converted to the new system. Did all our world files corrupt/cease to work when the save system changed? No, they were converted.

Notch wouldn't make the mistake of simply destroying everything everyone has done up to a given point.

@gftweek: Notch has openly stated that he both enjoys and endorses modding, and plans to un-obfuscate the code and release an official modding API. His position is that all mods are fine, but given that they are built from his game, he reserves the rights to take ideas/fully functioning mods and put them in vM without having to ask permission nor give notice. All mods, essentially, belong to Notch, by Minecraft's policy.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Fracture wrote:and release an official modding API
Do you have proof of this? I see this mentioned time and time again, but I never saw a post of Notch confirming it, while I can quote one that directly contradicts it.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Gilberreke wrote:
Fracture wrote:and release an official modding API
Do you have proof of this? I see this mentioned time and time again, but I never saw a post of Notch confirming it, while I can quote one that directly contradicts it.
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/4955141617 ... n-for-mods
The plan for mods
After some internal discussion and general anxiety, we’ve arrived at a
plan for supporting mods. It’s still a bit vague and the details might
change after we’ve run it by our lawyers, but here’s what we want to
do:

* Let players sign up as “mod developers”. This will cost money (edit: no longer costs money!), and
will require you agreeing to a license deal (you only need one per
mod team).
* Mod developers can download the source code from our SVN repository.
As soon as we commit a change, it will be available to all mod
developers, unobfuscated and uncensored.
* Mod developers get a unique certificate for signing their mods. This
means players can see who made what mod and choose to trust individual
developers. The cost of signing up makes sure only serious developers
have access to this certificate.

The rules of the license deal will contain:

* Mods must only be playable by people who have bought Minecraft
* You can’t sell your mods or make money off them unless you’ve got a
separate license deal with us
* The mods must not be malicious (obviously)
* We retain the right to use your mod idea and implement it ourselves
in Minecraft. This is to prevent the situation where we have to avoid
adding a feature just because there’s a mod out there that does
something similar. It’s also great for dealing with bug fixes provided
by the community.

In the long term, we hope this means people will do awesome new things
with the Minecraft engine and play around with it. We want to buy
and/or license good mods and/or total conversions and sell them
ourselves. It’s possible we might have a mod marketplace for selling
and buying mods that fans have written, or we might purchase and
integrate nice mods that fit the main theme of Minecraft.

[edit:]

Just to clear up two things:

The access cost won’t be prohibitively expensive, and if you make a good mod or something else based on the source code, it’s highly likely we will want to license it.
Gilb, do your research mate.

Note, there's also this..

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/4955682775 ... he-mod-api
Because of overwhelming feedback, the cost of the mod api access will be 0 dollars.

Our intention wasn’t to make money off selling the access, only to ensure some level of quality. Obviously that wasn’t the most popular idea in the world. ;)

Can I go back to working on the maps now?
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

hopefully the modding licence will cut back on the "omg new tools and armourz" mods out there.

Now for that awkward moment when Notch offers FC a ton of money to continue modding.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I did my research. Now re-read those posts and find ANY clue there is going to be a mod API. In fact, those quoted posts are proof you are wrong.

The unobfuscated source IS the API you're talking of and will not help modders in any way. It is you who needs to learn to read...
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Damion Rayne

Post by Damion Rayne »

Gilberreke wrote:I did my research. Now re-read those posts and find ANY clue there is going to be a mod API. In fact, those quoted posts are proof you are wrong.

The unobfuscated source IS the API you're talking of and will not help modders in any way. It is you who needs to learn to read...
Ya know, you are so full of yourself it's not funny.

"The cost of the mod api access will be 0 dollars."

MOD API

How's that not a clue, hows that make me wrong? Get over yourself and get off your know it all high horse Gilberreke.
[TG-18th] Damion Rayne
TG Instructor
Developer Relations
Content Development
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Guys why should we worry about this right now. As FC mentioned the mod only uses up 30 block IDs and this is one of the biggest mods that i have found to date. There are still 150 more block IDs that still have yet to be used and most mods out there actually don't add that many more.

As per the API we still have Minecraft Forge to use. Even if Notch puts out a Minecraft official API I'm sure that it'll just be like risugami's modloader and would still cause issues with some ideas. Forge blew the concept of modding out of the water my being able to make hooks for virtually everything that a player would need. So there isn't any use for us to worry about that either. If anything happens FC will most likely work with the other 2 Forge developers and come up with a way to make the Official API better.

And please guys no need for any negative comments to each other. FC would like to keep this entire forum civilized and not with 12 year old comments all over the place. Constructive comments only.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Deepsniper wrote:-snip-
My thoughts exactly.
Locking the thread before it gets ugly.