Rain Rain Rain

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
LupusExMachina

Rain Rain Rain

Post by LupusExMachina »

Is it just me or is it raining suspiciously often?
I didn't have a single dry day in a while in my world so I was wondering if this is some hidden "feature" that was added by the mod or if I am just unlucky.
I think it would make sense in a way to encourage the use of water power.

So... do I just have some bad luck or is it time to go for water wheels?
Luciferous Leo

Re: Rain Rain Rain

Post by Luciferous Leo »

I think it's less of a change to the rain mechanics, but an perceived increase because it suddenly makes a difference, and cant just be shut off by lying in a bed.

On my world I regularly have long periods of rain and then very long sunny periods.
LupusExMachina

Post by LupusExMachina »

nah, I don't think it's just a perceived increase.
I'm playing this mod since more than a year and it never felt the way it does right now.
But anyway. I guess I just go waterwheel for convenience.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Sleeping in the bed resets the rain timer, so if you don't sleep then there will be more rain. It's more like an (intended?) side effect of BTW than an actual feature.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

sargunster wrote:Sleeping in the bed resets the rain timer, so if you don't sleep then there will be more rain. It's more like an (intended?) side effect of BTW than an actual feature.
Yeah, definitely intended. Given that weather plays a role (albeit a small one at present) in BTW, having to actually put up with weather is a good thing.

And to the OP: I haven't changed the frequency of precipitation at all BTW. You're either getting unlucky, or you're just not used to playing with beds to reset weather.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote: (albeit a small one at present)
Foreshadowing?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

for what its worth, i too have been getting excessive amounts of rain. i was wondering about this the other day. as OP said it seems to rain almost every MC day and has started to become quite annoying actually. it had prompted me to try and find a small mod to lower the frequency of rain but as such i could find none. i understand weather as a game mechanic and that makes sense. but i seem to have more time raining then with no rain, and it just seems a little artificial at this point.

like it dosnt feel like a natural weather cycle, but more like the games saying, ok its been 5 mins since the last time it rained time for another 20 min downpour.....D: iv since converted practically everything to water wheels, as a result. since it no longer effects my actual game play and just becomes annoying really (the constant noise, the unnatural frequency, and a noticeable if small fps drop) i think im going to simply start disabling rain using cheats.

i hate the idea of having to use cheats (even if i know im not benefiting from it, just removing an annoyance) but ya, once it stops effecting your gameplay (by useing water wheels) it just becomes an annoyance due to its frequency.

(please keep in mind this is in no way a suggestion or *hint hint wink wink* anything like that, just my honest opinion and reaction to OP's post)
Last_Jedi_Standing

Post by Last_Jedi_Standing »

odranoel wrote:like it dosnt feel like a natural weather cycle
Monsoon season?
DO-RO'IK VONG PRATTE!
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

haha maybe, i just meant, rain is supposed to be something that happens every now and then, not for 60 - 70% of gameplay time. haveing more rain then sunny weather just feels forced and unnatural.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

I must say, this has been a really interesting effect. I noticed the more frequent rain as well and its funny how your playing habits change. I've found myself having a much more human reaction by moving indoors to enchant and cook or mining as the rain prohibited my Windmill-powered village from functioning (I can't bring myself to replace the vertical windmill with a waterwheel... it's too damn pretty and cool and the inconvenience of rain taking it out of action isn't worth replacing it).

The poor villagers... their numbers are dwindling.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

i tend to build in a snowy biome, and i find snow fall a whole lot more preferable to rain. I actually find snowfall in mincraft really calming especially with the right kind of music playing. I also find that snowfall has a much lower fps hit than rain does
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

would be nice if there was a weather mod that added seasons so that summer had more sunny conditions and winter had less to make the weather less sporadic and more predictable. mine all winder and then build in summer. with something like a clock but for seasons. having ICE freeze in winter and melt in summer could be nice too but HCB might be a problem. switching from winter to summer every 1 to 6 hours ?

but rain really only has one draw back that is turning the sound down and having less warning of on coming combatants.

A mini mod for ear protection would also be nice equipped as a helmet.
Anbaric

Post by Anbaric »

The rain sound is tied to the particles that bounce up from the ground. If you disable particles, no more rain sound. And you can still hear that creeper hissing at you. :3
Things about me.
Show
1: I hate all updates past 1.2.5. Server lag in SP?!?
2: I've never made it to SFS.
3:
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Anbaric wrote:The rain sound is tied to the particles that bounce up from the ground. If you disable particles, no more rain sound. And you can still hear that creeper hissing at you. :3
That seams more like a bug in the game that can be exploited.I don't use Optifine so I cant turn off just one type of particle effect.

So I wont be doing that but thanks for trying to find a work around.
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

BigShinyToys wrote:would be nice if there was a weather mod that added seasons so that summer had more sunny conditions and winter had less to make the weather less sporadic and more predictable. mine all winder and then build in summer. with something like a clock but for seasons. having ICE freeze in winter and melt in summer could be nice too but HCB might be a problem. switching from winter to summer every 1 to 6 hours ?

but rain really only has one draw back that is turning the sound down and having less warning of on coming combatants.

A mini mod for ear protection would also be nice equipped as a helmet.
There actually was a mod like that once, it's been discontinued. But it added effects like grass/wheat growing faster in the summer, more rain in spring, snow in many biomes in winter, trees changing color in fall, etc. You could even get frostbite and or sunburn if you were in the extreme biomes like desert or tiaga in the wrong season.
Six

Post by Six »

I think the seemingly excessive rain comes in part from the fact that the beds resetting weather was a bit of a bandaid put on to solve people finding the rain annoying. In normal vanilla play, people hardly have to deal with the actual weather cycles that are in there, so it's never really play tested.