Dragon Orbs and Lag/Frame Rate

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Sarelth

Dragon Orbs and Lag/Frame Rate

Post by Sarelth »

I seem to have come across a little issue, I was testing a high effieciency mob spawner with btw 4.31 to see the kind of rates it would give and as the Dragon orbs quickly accumulated the frame rate dropped to the point that it was nearly unbearable to play. I set up a Hopper to transform the Dragon orbs and as they slowly got used up the frame rate get higher and the lag seemed to go away.

Not sure what to call it or how to fix it, but I thought I would bring it up on the boards. By the Way, the Mob Trap I was using puts out about 81,500 drops an hour, so it may never come up in a normal mob trap.

Thanks
CycloneSP wrote:The sun! it burns!!! Oh wait, that is just the aura of awesomeness coming off of FC. <puts on shades> Ah, much better.
redrew89

Re: Dragon Orbs and Lag/Frame Rate

Post by redrew89 »

Based on your description of the issue, this is simply a matter of having too much going on for the average PC to handle. Each Dragon Orb displayed on screen takes up computational resources, and when you get to a certain point, your computer can't handle the demand. You mentioned that using a soul sand filter to convert those orbs into XP helped resolve the issue, and that's probably the best idea. I would recommend setting up a filtration system on the output of any mob trap design you use, with at least one (but, depending on the amount of drops, 3 or more might be a better option) soul sand filter to convert those Dragon Orbs into wonderful XP. Steve, and your CPU, will thank you. :P
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
Sarelth

Post by Sarelth »

Yeah, I am pretty sure its very much due to my craptop not liking that much stuff going on....

Thanks for the input, I noticed that one filter was definately not enough for the job. I will see what I can work out.
CycloneSP wrote:The sun! it burns!!! Oh wait, that is just the aura of awesomeness coming off of FC. <puts on shades> Ah, much better.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

1 Hopper? Oh my gosh no. More = Better. I have 5 hoppers setup on my mob trap for XP showering and it still gets full sometimes. But more hoppers would definitely fix the issue.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

For me on my craptop, It helped tremendously by going into the task manager (For windows) And changing the priorities around, so that stuff that runs in the background isn't pulling so much CPU power from minecraft. (For instance, Antivirus, Peerblock, etc.) Keep in mind when doing this though, that Explorer.exe has highest priority, because lowering it below Minecraft (Java.exe) can cause your computer to become catastrophically slow outside of Minecraft (Until you restart your computer, or promote it higher). This is because Explorer.exe is what runs the interactive part of windows.

Another solution is to make sure that your graphics driver is set to run minecraft with the best settings. When i bought my laptop, my Nvidia Drivers had set every program to run in power save instead of performance, and by changing that i was actually able to play mine craft, where i thought before it was to unbearable.

Hope this helped!