Welcome to Edolas [CLOSED]

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
Katalliaan

Re: Welcome to Edolas (Server information)

Post by Katalliaan »

Logged on today to go enchant some stuff, and saw that not only was one of the two lava pillars I had at my nether portal gone (the source block was killed), but that the lava that was in it spilled down the staircase, forming a wall of lava and making a third of the staircase unusable without a fire resistance potion.

I'd appreciate it if whoever did so would step up and help fix the mess they created.

EDIT: It's worse than I thought - it looks like the lava also spilled down into the 1-wide staircase that goes down to places like MiC's digsite, the end, and such.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Almost forgot; Server has been updated to 4.30. I still have the block update disabled, so let me know if you get any unusual lag.

@redrew89
I think you asked before, but feel free to take the tracks underground if that suits you better. Preferably about 10ish blocks out of the train station though, so I can adjust the tracks/setup there if need be.
LaserSushi

Post by LaserSushi »

Still have spaces avalable?
Dark_Tundra

Post by Dark_Tundra »

@FaceFoiled I have noticed that since the reliable block updates has been disabled, that my always stoked stewing pot hasn't been ending up with stacks of cooked porkchops when I use a netherportal, it's all going to tallow like it should. I don't know if it's related.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

I don't know if it's related either, but thats good to hear. :)

Whitelist request update;

I will go through the list soon again, clean it up and send out new invites. I will add some additional restrictions to reduce possibilities of griefing and whatnot, one of these will be Forum activity. More details will be added later, intend to update the original post with details.

Bold = Forum Username
Regular = Ingame name (listed or guessed from Forum username).

Imightbereal Imightbereal - PM'd
Toastman500 Toastman500 - PM'd
tyr116 tyr116 - PM'd
Windmillguy Admiral_Hydro - PM'd
Dr Ug DoctorUg - PM'd
wilkin823 wilkin823 - PM'd
Mattyzz Mattyzz - PM'd
Dronre Dronre
YooMommaa YooMommaa
Twololcats Twololcats
merrell217 merrell217
Skiipy Skiipy
duartemad duartemad
PhantasticJoe aburahobbit
TheOneGuy The_Ownagerr
Feliponius PhilipPixler
Detritus Detritus
Balavac Balavac
freetorule Freetorule
Rigaudon Rigaudon
ColossalEWasibi ColossalEWasibi
PrivateAlpha PrivateAlpha
grimper12341 grimper12341
fredfrog1234 fredfrog1234
Inatun Inatun
Red 'Rose' Moon~♥ xtwilight (steam request)
devakingdevaking
SuperCraftenSuperCraften
Peach774Peach774
Mr_CheeseUKMr_CheeseUK
LaserSushiLaserSushi
Mr_CheeseUK

Post by Mr_CheeseUK »

FrostMcloud

Post by FrostMcloud »

Pretty bad lag right now :[
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

I just want to honor FaceFoiled's commitment to this server. It takes a lot of mental energy to keep one going.

Awesome, man! Carry on.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Hey Face! ^_^/

Seems that times are getting better and i may be able to become a regular on a server. Just setting things up now and so i would like to ask to have the honor of being white listed on this fine fine server you run!

IGN: MagikEh

Thanks for your time man and i hope to see you soon!
-MagikEh ^-^/
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
The great randomo

Post by The great randomo »

Hi!
It seems this server is very well developed, and if it is possible, I would love to get the chance to join in with the fun :)
My ign is 'thegreatrandomo'. Thanks!
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hey Face, as I just mentioned in my dev diary thread, the option to disable reliable block update was included in the last release, but I never heard back from you on whether it resolved your technical problems with the server.

Just wanted to ping you to see if you had indeed toggled the option, and if it had a positive effect on server stability.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Yes, I've actually been monitoring the changes quite thoroughly. However ; half naked (halloweenncostume) and drunk. Ilk get more details on here tomorrow :D. I'm after the black witch in this room
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

FaceFoiled wrote:Yes, I've actually been monitoring the changes quite thoroughly. However ; half naked (halloweenncostume) and drunk. Ilk get more details on here tomorrow :D. I'm after the black witch in this room
Hehe...good luck in your quest :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Also, for people who want to report on their performance experiences on Edolas lately, make sure you know the difference between "lag", client performance and the general server slowdown I reported before. They are completely different things, and if you don't report acurately, you'll just make FC's job harder.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
SuperCraften

Post by SuperCraften »

Seems like I am not White listed, I sent you a PM but still no avail. Maybe it is just a typo?
Mac

Post by Mac »

Came back from the end earlier today and was stuck in between the old anarchy-portal and the doors in front of it.
Due to spawn-protection I was unable to open the doors and leave there, making it effectively a spawn-prison.
Luckily minidobs was able to help me out through slaying me. Getting my stuff back before it despawned was not easy
but he did managed it.
Well, in order to avoid such situation in the future, can the doors be removed please?
My Youtube channel.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Also, for people who want to report on their performance experiences on Edolas lately, make sure you know the difference between "lag", client performance and the general server slowdown I reported before. They are completely different things, and if you don't report acurately, you'll just make FC's job harder.
Thanks man :)
Blazara

Post by Blazara »

Hey, I'd love to join and get amongst all this action:
IGN: Blazara
I'm from Southern England in Great Britain and predominately wish to join due to the volume of people whom speak so highly of this server. I enjoy co operative and competitive play alike, and a well structured, friendly server like Edolas strikes me as the perfect place to develop new ideas and designs; as well as gain some interesting discussion with your members ;).

Cheers!
Blaz
Blazara wrote: I, am a BETTERTHANwolfaboo.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Right! So in regards to test I did;

I've been running the server with the reliable block update disabled since it was optional (to test), and there was a definite change in regards to stability.

Pre change;
The server is fairly stable, but depending on what is going on the server racks up a fair bit of memory usage. When it gets above 1.5 gig players would notice a fair change in connectivity (lag). A restart would fix this right away. Additionally, once the memory usage went up, it would not go down.
*Checking into this further (checking how many players/who was online, and what they were doing), it seemed like resource gathering (output from mills for example) was not collected.

*This is pure speculation though, as soon as someone would arrive in "their" chunk, the resources would be collected, so not something that could be confirmed upon. But it kinda made sense, as this is something that would not happen when I alone (for example) was playing, as I don't have any mills running.

After change;
The server is stable, and memory/cpu usage is far below the average (average taken from pre-change). Additionally, memory usage goes down when players disconnect and such. The server still racks up some lag at times, which a restart definitely helps. I am guessing that this is simply caused by Minecraft itself though, which is why most servers have an auto-restart timer.

I don't have full diagnostic access though, I have the main error logs from Minecraft and the server.log (chat/errors), and the overal statistics from memory and cpu usage (general connectivity). Beyond this, its the details gathered from those playing, compared with the available data. If it would help, I could simply grant you full access to the server. =)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Excellent! Thanks for the info man!

I don't think access would help me, as I don't know shit about admining a server. That's going to change soon though :)

The main point I was interested in is if it helps, which it definitely appears to. I've mentioned this elsewhere (mainly my Dev Diary thread), but reliable block updates will be off by default for the next release, and I've also made a bunch of other changes to prevent mod-blocks from locking up on chunk load to at least partially compensate for that.

I'll be looking further into the memory leakage in the future once I'm not otherwise occupied with updating, so hopefully we'll be getting that feature back, minus the problems, before too long.

Anyways, thanks for the detailed report man. Much obliged.
redrew89

Post by redrew89 »

I've been spending a lot of time on the server, lately, working on my latest project. If you've seen my YouTube channel, or spent time on IRC, you probably already know what it is. Here's some screenshots!
Spoiler
Show
This is a 60x60 mob farm. I cleared most of it using mining charges, and then filled the canals from the pond that sits above it. Everything get's pushed to a 4x4 drop pit in the center, which goes to...

A grinder, consisting of a 2x4 wall of saws. Drops are sorted, and stored in chests.

Close-up of the sorting and storage area, with the XP shower in the back.

And a close-up of said XP shower. The lever only controls the closest hopper, as the two back hoppers share a gear box with the saws.

Now, with all of the goodies I'm getting from this system, I wanted an easy way to transport and process them. After thinking about it, I decided on...

A freight elevator! This elevator can carry three storage carts per trip, and lifts everything up to...

A mini-workshop, built right off the side of my house, for convenience. Inside is a full compliment of appliances for processing flesh, and bones into kibble, along with turning nitre and brimstone into glorious gunpowder.

Want close-ups? Here you go! :D

Let me know what you think!
EDIT: Oh, yeah. Psion, whenever you decide to pop in, you're more than welcome to use my vine farm. Not sure how much you will need for your mob tower, but I don't need them, now. :)
FlowerChild wrote:Happiness is a warm and moist tentacle.
FlowerChild wrote:I just want to be loved.
Havok wrote: I'm so fucking psyched I could punch a kitten into the troposphere
Psion

Post by Psion »

Lol, thanks, but i'll be doing a piston type mob trap here, so I shouldn't need any vines.

Now if only i was done studying for my damn calculus test on wednesday... q.q
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Aloha! .o/

It's been quiet on my end for a bit, it was a bit busy for me (Halloween parties and my parents flew over for a long weekend), but I am back on track now. :) Well, after work today. When I get home I'll update the server.
Mac wrote:Came back from the end earlier today and was stuck in between the old anarchy-portal and the doors in front of it. - - - Well, in order to avoid such situation in the future, can the doors be removed please?
Yes most certainly. :) I did not think that would cause any issues, I kinda forgot about spawn protection in general, as I had that turned off in the old Bukkit days. :P I'll remove that tonight as well.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

Hai everyone, it's Mikko_blu.

I haven't really had the time to be on recently, and so i closed off the track to my City. If you see the door open, or anyone in there, please let me know. I've spent quite alot of time on there.

Thanks, hope to see you soon!
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

Hmm, updated the server and my client, but now connecting;

Code: Select all

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// I'm sorry, Dave.

Time: 06/11/12 00:38
Description: Unexpected error

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: ModLoader
	at awr.a(NetClientHandler.java:163)
	at do.a(SourceFile:71)
	at bx.b(SourceFile:341)
	at awr.d(NetClientHandler.java:91)
	at awu.c(SourceFile:69)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.l(SourceFile:1080)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.J(SourceFile:582)
	at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:534)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ModLoader
	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	... 9 more

Relevant Details:
- Minecraft Version: 1.4.2
- Operating System: Windows 7 (amd64) version 6.1
- Java Version: 1.6.0_26, Sun Microsystems Inc.
- Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.
- Memory: 484652240 bytes (462 MB) / 514523136 bytes (490 MB) up to 954466304 bytes (910 MB)
- JVM Flags: 2 total; -Xms512m -Xmx1024m
- AABB Pool Size: 10817 (605752 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 10817 (605752 bytes; 0 MB) used
- LWJGL: 2.4.2
- OpenGL: GeForce GTX 590/PCI/SSE2 GL version 4.2.0, NVIDIA Corporation
- Is Modded: Very likely
- Type: Client
- Texture Pack: JohnSmith_V9.3.zip
- Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
- Vec3 Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used
- World MpServer Entities: 1 total; [axc['FaceFoiled'/417, l='MpServer', x=8.50, y=66.62, z=8.50]]
- World MpServer Players: 1 total; [axc['FaceFoiled'/417, l='MpServer', x=8.50, y=66.62, z=8.50]]
- World MpServer Chunk Stats: MultiplayerChunkCache: 0
- Forced Entities: 1 total; [axc['FaceFoiled'/417, l='MpServer', x=8.50, y=66.62, z=8.50]]
- Retry Entities: 0 total; []
I am guessing this is my own client though, so if someone could test it, please let me know.

/edit
Same after a reinstalled client for me.