New Launcher with BTW and MCPatcher

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
HappyDyas

New Launcher with BTW and MCPatcher

Post by HappyDyas »

Long story short I cannot seem to find the proper old launcher. Even in the guide posted by FC and the links he provided to the alternative download page on minecraft.net, it all seems to be the newest launcher with just different methods for downloading and installation.

I would very much enjoy using a Texture pack for this mod but from what i can tell the newest launcher doesnt play nice with MCpatcher and everything on MC forums indicate its just plain dead.

Is there workarounds or an actual download for the old launcher? Thanks!
Gilberreke

Re: New Launcher with BTW and MCPatcher

Post by Gilberreke »

The old launcher has been discontinued by Mojang, there's a topic in this forum telling you how to use the new launcher. As for MCPatcher, as far as I know, it works perfectly fine with the new launcher, provided you have the correct version. I know there are some people in the Discord that have gotten it to work, so if you can't figure it out, feel free to pop in there (link in my signature).
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

Gilberreke wrote:As for MCPatcher, as far as I know, it works perfectly fine with the new launcher, provided you have the correct version. I know there are some people in the Discord that have gotten it to work, so if you can't figure it out, feel free to pop in there (link in my signature).
mcpatcher-5.0.3 doesn't work with the new launcher out of the box, but does if you do the following:

Here's a youtube guide if you prefer it rather than a list of instructions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo0MFLpytls

1) Install new launcher
2) Click on the slats to the right of the Minecraft logo
3) Click on "Launch Options"
4) Click on "Add new"
5) Give it a name (BTW for e.g.)
6) Change version to "release 1.5.2"
7) Click "Save"
8) Click on "News" and launch the 1.5.2 instance you just installed
9) Close Minecraft
10) Run the launcher again
11) Click on "Launch options"
12) Click on your instance
13) Click on the arrow to the right of the Game directory folder
14) Close the launcher
15) -
16) Go to the versions folder
17) Copy and paste the 1.5.2 folder and rename the copy to BTWMod4-ABCEEEFAb (or whatever the version is that you're using)
18) Go into the folder
19) Rename the jar and json files to the same names
20) Open the json file
21) Delete the downloads section (shown in spoiler) (it might have all the text in 1 line [stupid Mojang!])
Spoiler
Show
22) Change "id": "1.5.2", to "id": "BTWMod4-ABCEEEFAb",
23) Save and close the file

A) Go back 2 folders (to your .minecraft)
B-1st time) Copy and paste this file "launcher_profiles.json"
B-Updating BTW) Rename "launcher_profiles.json" to "launcher_profiles-NEW.json"
B-Updating BTW-2) Rename "launcher_profiles-OLD.json" to "launcher_profiles.json"
C-1st time) Open the "launcher_profiles.json" file
D-1st time) Delete everything and paste the following in

Code: Select all

{
  "profiles": {
    "1.5.2": {
      "name": "1.5.2",
      "lastVersionId": "1.5.2"
    }
  }
}
E-1st time) Save and close the file
F) Run mcpatcher-5.0.3
G) Select BTWMod4-ABCEEEFAb under the Game version dropdown
H) Click the + symbol on the bottom
I) Select your BTWMod4-ABCEEFABc.zip and click Open
J) Click on "MINECRAFT-JAR and click Ok
K) Click Ok again
L) Click Patch
M) Close MCPatcher
N) Rename "launcher_profiles.json" to "launcher_profiles-OLD.json"
O) Rename "launcher_profiles - Copy.json" (or "launcher_profiles-NEW.json" if not 1st time) to "launcher_profiles.json"
P) Run the launcher for a 3rd time
Q) Click on "Launch options"
R) Click on your instance
S) Change the Version from "release 1.5.2" to "release BTWMod4-ABCEEEFAb-mcpatcher"
T) Click "Save"
U) Click on "News"
V) Enjoy BTW again with HD TEXTURES!

Upgrading:
- Follow steps 17 to 23 and A to V, but change the name (BTWMod4-ABCEEEFAb) to match the new version

Recommended:
- Gilberreke's Legacy Skin Support - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9365
- If you use a LARGE texture pack like Mesh's, then it's recommended to make your options.txt file read-only (while using Vanilla textures) and change textures after loading Minecraft (this significantly decreases load time)

Troubleshooting:
- Its best to start with a clean .minecraft folder (backup just in case)
- If you want to play Minecraft versions other than BTW, then use the Game folder setting to put them in a different folder to prevent issues such as losing all your BTW blocks in a world or corrupting your instance
Last edited by ElectroBot on Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
HappyDyas

Post by HappyDyas »

MY OH MY. Thank you ElectroBot as that worked and solved all of my questions. By chance was there a place on these forums where that was already talked about? Im asking because I constantly feel like im asking questions that have already been answered and just creating more work for the community.

And thanks Gilberreke i will join up on the discord maybe just to hang out with people and see whats up. maybe even get help in the future because im throwing myself in blind i feel like since i havent touched BTW for almost half a year
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

HappyDyas wrote:MY OH MY. Thank you ElectroBot as that worked and solved all of my questions. By chance was there a place on these forums where that was already talked about? Im asking because I constantly feel like im asking questions that have already been answered and just creating more work for the community.

And thanks Gilberreke i will join up on the discord maybe just to hang out with people and see whats up. maybe even get help in the future because im throwing myself in blind i feel like since i havent touched BTW for almost half a year
A while back ppl including myself attempted to get it running on the new launcher, but something was buggy/not working. We did discuss it, the resources 403 error issues and other things on the Vioki Discord. A few months later I tried and it did work so I posted the instructions for it without mcpatcher (was too lazy to attempt it fully for more than 5 min). Your post challenged me to it again yesterday.

As to being new to the early game stuff, go in blind (its more rewarding when you do find out stuff, but look up recipes on the wiki or Craftguide before raging).
HappyDyas

Post by HappyDyas »

Absolutely. Im very thankful for the craft guide mod. I was going to share experiences but didnt want to spoil it for anyone that came looking here for anything other than spoilers. Saving this post for future needs.

Thanks again!
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

hey thx for the instructions ! I have try but i got some problem with those step :
B-Updating BTW-2) Rename "launcher_profiles-OLD.json" to "launcher_profiles.json"
I don't have a file named : Launcher_profiles-OLD.json
i have only one : Launcher_profiles.json
if i launch Mcpatcher he cannot found minecraft versions... Problem with versions.json

maybe mojang update the launcher since you have whrite the tuto ?
maybe i'm noob ? :p i have try 3 times.

Thx if you can help
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

ko_teknik wrote:hey thx for the instructions ! I have try but i got some problem with those step :
I don't have a file named : Launcher_profiles-OLD.json
i have only one : Launcher_profiles.json
if i launch Mcpatcher he cannot found minecraft versions... Problem with versions.json

maybe mojang update the launcher since you have whrite the tuto ?
maybe i'm noob ? :p i have try 3 times.

Thx if you can help
I tried it again and works. If you're doing this the 1st time then use the "B-1st time" and "C-1st time" (skip "B-Updating BTW" and "B-Updating BTW-2").

Here's a video guide if that's easier - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo0MFLpytls
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Oh thx ! Yeah i was wrong with that file ! THX
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

oh no ... the probleme was the version of Mcpatcher ! I have mcpatcher 5.0.3 but in your video you have mcpatcher 5.0.3 for Mc 1.5.2 and i cannot found this version O_O

So for now i got it work with MCPatcher 4.3.1_01[Minecraft 1.5.2] ^^
Can you give me the link for the 5.0.3 ?

Thx
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

ko_teknik wrote:oh no ... the probleme was the version of Mcpatcher ! I have mcpatcher 5.0.3 but in your video you have mcpatcher 5.0.3 for Mc 1.5.2 and i cannot found this version O_O

So for now i got it work with MCPatcher 4.3.1_01[Minecraft 1.5.2] ^^
Can you give me the link for the 5.0.3 ?

Thx
2nd link in google search for "mcpatcher" is to https://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/m ... patcher-hd
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Ok i believed you used a custom mc patcher version !
But i try it again and again still not work ... I was able To make mc patcher 4.3.1_1 only working but the game crash sometimes !

I dont know what i do wrong :(
Pelagi

Post by Pelagi »

I'm having issues trying to get CTM to work. I'm able to follow all the instructions just fine, however, it doesn't mention anything about installing optifine. I attempted to install it using the mcpatcher and tried having it both before and after the btw jar file.

Also side note, I was using OptiFine_1.5.2_HD_U_D5 and BTWMod4-AFFFFFFFd
--- VENI, VIDI, VICI ---
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Optifine is not compatible with better than wolves.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Pelagi

Post by Pelagi »

I managed to get it working by doing another fresh start. Before trying optifine the texture pack was working, just not CTM, I guess I must have had something somewhere messing with it. Now it's stuck at the loading screen whenever I try to start MC with the texture pack. The only workaround is starting with the default texture every time, right?
--- VENI, VIDI, VICI ---
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just to reiterate because it's not entirely clear from your answer whether you're still using it: Optifine is REALLY not compatible with BTW. Do not use it.

I heavily modify and optimize a lot of the rendering code already, so there's bound to be issues if you try to use it, and really there shouldn't be any need to do so anyways.
Pelagi

Post by Pelagi »

FlowerChild wrote:Just to reiterate because it's not entirely clear from your answer whether you're still using it: Optifine is REALLY not compatible with BTW. Do not use it.
Sorry about not being clear. Yes, I got rid of optifine, it just takes a long time to load MC with the texturepack being used as ElectroBot mentioned. Thanks, guys.
--- VENI, VIDI, VICI ---