Issue with new Minecraft Launcher. 2.0.760

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
b_ren_7

Issue with new Minecraft Launcher. 2.0.760

Post by b_ren_7 »

Okay I have switched on Minecraft today and the launcher has decided to update to "2.0.760".

BTW will launch but I cannot connect to my minecraft server. I get the message:

Connection lost
Failed to login: bad login.

I have another pc in my house (not gaming computer) . When I launch minecraft it doesn't upgrade to the new launcher. I can sign into my server fine,anyone else had this?

Gilberreke

Re: Issue with new Minecraft Launcher. 2.0.760

Post by Gilberreke »

Even more brokenness from the vanilla launcher? Oh come on now.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
b_ren_7

Post by b_ren_7 »

Haha, I take it there is no way to revert to the older launcher :(
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I personally haven't used the vanilla launcher for the past 5 years, so I can't help you figure out the exact extent of this issue.
b_ren_7

Post by b_ren_7 »

Didn't even know there was alternative launchers out there.

Downloading this one seemed to fix the issue:

https://minecraft.net/en-us/download/alternative
Rob

Post by Rob »

Huh, that's a new looking launcher. I still have the older one I guess? v1.6.76. Even downloaded the patcher from the minecraft.net site to see if I needed a new install file. I do notice yours says EU on it, maybe EU has a different launcher..

Although, every time I go to launch my launcher since this last update, it re-downloads the whole thing, which is annoying.

Anyone else having that issue? With the re-downloading? I may just switch to MultiMC permanently if this keeps up. >.>
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

Rob wrote:-snip-
Although, every time I go to launch my launcher since this last update, it re-downloads the whole thing, which is annoying.

Anyone else having that issue? With the re-downloading? I may just switch to MultiMC permanently if this keeps up. >.>
Yes, I think I am. I erroneously equated it with an nVidia driver update issue at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9180 but have since rightly been told that that was not the case. My re-downloads are triggered a the first activation of the client per computer boot cycle. Re-entering the game without rebooting the computer does not trigger the re-download. So far I am led to believe that this has no gameplay effect beyond annoyance.
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
b_ren_7

Post by b_ren_7 »

Are there any side effects to you using MultiMC? Think I may try it.

Since I have started using the legacy minecraft shortcut a lot of the textures are missed from the John Smith texture pack.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

b_ren_7 wrote:Are there any side effects to you using MultiMC? Think I may try it.

Since I have started using the legacy minecraft shortcut a lot of the textures are missed from the John Smith texture pack.
MultiMC is better than sliced bread. To install BTW, unzip it, rezip just the contents of MINECRAFT-JAR, make a new 1.5.2 instance, click 'add jar mod' in the settings, load game, done!
b_ren_7

Post by b_ren_7 »

Thanks that works great. Only problem now is I use Mesh's texture pack which is a modified John smiths texture pack. I load the pack into the multimc loader texture section but it doesnt use all the textures in the pack.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

the issue is with MCPatcher + MultiMC, there's no known way to properly run the two together so far :/

There's a workaround where you create the instance with vanilla launcher, use MCPatcher to install BTW and the needed texture mods, then you take the jar produced and use it as a jar mod in MultiMC. Some people are successfully running BTW that way:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MultiMC/commen ... mcpatcher/
https://github.com/MultiMC/MultiMC5/wiki/Jar-Modding
b_ren_7

Post by b_ren_7 »

This appears to work although something weird is going on and it doesn't appear to load the Jungle Tree texture. I'm not too concerned though at this stage at least I can get back on and play!

Thanks for all your help.

What I should get on left, what I get on right:
Mud

Post by Mud »

b_ren_7 wrote:Didn't even know there was alternative launchers out there.

Downloading this one seemed to fix the issue:

https://minecraft.net/en-us/download/alternative
This worked wonderfully for me when doing a fresh install in Mac OS Sierra. Thanks!
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

i make a video to show how instal an old launcher version... In french but can help enflish to ;)

Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I feel stupid, I'm normally quite adept at making this work but I must have screwed something up at some point because even though I got the alternative launcher download as described above, when I pick my BTW profile it crashes right after I hit play. Anyone have any idea where to start with troubleshooting this. I've been needing some BTW time for a week now.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Mason11987 wrote:I feel stupid, I'm normally quite adept at making this work b....
Try to delete the file option.txt inside the .minecraft folder and try again !

To find .minecraft folder write %appdata% in the search tab from windows bar and push enter
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

ko_teknik wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:I feel stupid, I'm normally quite adept at making this work b....
Try to delete the file option.txt inside the .minecraft folder and try again !

To find .minecraft folder write %appdata% in the search tab from windows bar and push enter
Thanks, but that doesn't seem to have fixed it.
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

b_ren_7 wrote:This appears to work although something weird is going on and it doesn't appear to load the Jungle Tree texture.

What I should get on left, what I get on right:
Spoiler
Show
I just wanted to hop in here and address your problem with Jungle Logs not showing up. This isn't a problem, it's an intentional feature of my texture pack. "Jungle" Logs actually show as "Redwood" logs in any biome other than Jungle or River, their leaves also look different. There are various differences in certain nature textures between biomes, but I just wanted to clear up that it is working as intended :)
Psion

Post by Psion »

I also can't get BTW to start with the new minecraft launcher. to be precise, i was going to start up BTW, so went to install it using the new instructions (making a copy of 1.5.2 instance, renaming it and the folders inside to the folder name (example: betterthanwolves), editing the .json with notepad++ to change the name from 1.5.2 to betterthanwolves, and removing the stuff after 4 (but not the final bracket).

problem is that after i do so, and go to start a new instance using version betterthanwolves, the version pulldown menu shows.... nothing. clicking the arrow doesn't work, scrolling doesnt work, it's just blank, and hitting ok makes it default to the latest version. if i delete the betterthanwolves instance folder, the pulldown menu fixes itself back to normal, so im assuming its something wrong with the .json file.

I did notice the json seems a bit different than what the instructions mentioned inside. for instance, the very start of the 1.5.2 json looks like this:
Spoiler
Show
{"assetIndex":{"id":"legacy","sha1":"c0fd82e8ce9fbc93119e40d96d5a4e62cfa3f729","size":134284,"url":"https://launchermeta.mojang.com/mc/asse ... server.exe"}},"id":"1.5.2","libraries":[{"name":"net.minecraft:launchwrapper:1.5","downloads":{"artifact":{"size":27787,"sha1":
So the first id mentioned is "legacy", not 1.5.2, and there's a second id a bit further down of 1.5.2. i tried changing the 1.5.2 one to "betterthanwolves", then tried changing "legacy" to "betterthanwolves", then finally tried changing both. same error each time.

the end part also is slightly different. it looks like
Spoiler
Show
"net/java/jinput/jinput-platform/2.0.5/jinput-platform-2.0.5-natives-windows.jar","url":"https://libraries.minecraft.net/net/jav ... indows.jar"}}}}],"mainClass":"net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch","minecraftArguments":"${auth_player_name} ${auth_session} --gameDir ${game_directory} --assetsDir ${game_assets}","minimumLauncherVersion":4,"releaseTime":"2013-04-25T15:45:00+00:00","time":"2016-02-02T15:37:47+00:00","type":"release"}
I tried changing this by first deleting just everything after the 4, so it ended up as 4}, but this didn't work. i even tried deleting some stuff before the 4 so it looked like the code mentioned in the readme, deleting everything after launchwrapper.Launch", until the "minimumLauncherVersion":4}. still no go.

not sure if the json file has changed or if im doing something wrong here. :s
Rob

Post by Rob »

@Psion

Download the old launcher here. The old launcher is the second link on the list for Windows. Run that, and reset your settings when prompted. After your settings have been reset, install BTW as instructed.* Once BTW is installed properly on the old launcher, you /should/ be able to update to the new launcher with out issues and the BTW profile should transfer over. Annoyance is, that you have to reset to the old launcher every time you want to update or reinstall BTW.

*This is how you install BTW with mcpatcher. I presume it is a similar scenario with a manual install.
Psion

Post by Psion »

thanks, works like a charm! yeah, looks like they changed the .json of the new launcher, looks totally different than older launcher.