Options file from new versions of MC cause 1.5.2 to crash

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Options file from new versions of MC cause 1.5.2 to crash

Post by FlowerChild »

This recently came up on the BTW MCF thread, posted by player Koward:
I'm afraid there's more. I managed to reproduce it. After playing a while on a recent (like 1.11.2 world), the options.txt file in .minecraft gets written. After that, any 1.5.2 version, including unmodded vanilla 1.5.2, will crash.

Deleting options.txt to recreate a new one by running BTW will fix it.

It's a bug only Mojang can fix. Alternate launchers may work, I have not tested.
Anyone have additional information on this? I just tested it myself and it seems like a legit issue.
Norton

Re: Options file from new versions of MC cause 1.5.2 to cras

Post by Norton »

Quick fix: In options.txt, notice "version:922" and change the "lang:en_us" to "lang:en_US".

That gets things working again, but switching between MC versions will cause the same problem. The new vMC threw away my music volume, so may just be ignoring all old settings.

Better fix for the vanilla launcher: Pick your BTW profile, Edit Profile, check Game Directory, and put it somewhere else. This creates a completely separate options.txt, so should prevent it from getting paved in the future. Need to manually copy saves (and probably texturepacks), but I didn't need to re-patch.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Legit issue. I think you can fix it by setting the options.txt to read-only, but then you can't change your settings from in-game.

The whole situation with the vanilla launcher is a disaster.

I think your best bet is probably to rewrite the vanilla code to handle the new options format, I don't see a quick userland fix for this.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks for the help guys. This one was a bit of an "oh shit" moment for me when I read about it yesterday.
Gilberreke wrote: I think your best bet is probably to rewrite the vanilla code to handle the new options format, I don't see a quick userland fix for this.
Thought of that. Problem is the necessity of running vanilla 1.5.2 at least once as part of the install BTW process in order to fully download it. Yes, it would stop the problem from recurring from that point forward if the player again runs a later version that changes the options file, which might still make it worth it, but it wouldn't entirely eliminate the problem.
Palisight

Post by Palisight »

As an idea: Maybe it should be recommended for people that want to be able to play BTW and other versions of Minecraft to use a program such as multiMC
https://multimc.org/

Ive used it for years and never had a problem
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Palisight wrote:As an idea: Maybe it should be recommended for people that want to be able to play BTW and other versions of Minecraft to use a program such as multiMC
https://multimc.org/

Ive used it for years and never had a problem
There's a myriad of issues with bringing in another program. At that point, it would make even more sense to get BTW onto a launcher, which is what a lot of other mods have been doing to alleviate user support. The issue with that is that it causes AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH in everyone involved ;)
FlowerChild wrote:Thanks for the help guys. This one was a bit of an "oh shit" moment for me when I read about it yesterday.
Gilberreke wrote: I think your best bet is probably to rewrite the vanilla code to handle the new options format, I don't see a quick userland fix for this.
Thought of that. Problem is the necessity of running vanilla 1.5.2 at least once as part of the install BTW process in order to fully download it. Yes, it would stop the problem from recurring from that point forward if the player again runs a later version that changes the options file, which might still make it worth it, but it wouldn't entirely eliminate the problem.
If we can do anything to help, let us know. I might look into an automated install script, but I've looked into similar solutions a lot in the past and they just end up causing more problems and headaches. The problem with installing BTW from a non-technical user standpoint has become increasingly worse over time. I'll keep thinking on it.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jstu9

Post by jstu9 »

Awesome!

When Timing Rodent came out, I tried to update. Crash. Went back to Camel, crash.

I assumed i had screwed something up somewhere. Figured I'd figure it out at a later date. Today was that day. Crash. Then I came on here and boom shaka laka.

Thanks. been itching to play btw, now I can