Installation Problems

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
murillokb

Installation Problems

Post by murillokb »

Trying to install BTW right now but the launcher keeps updating my BTW.jar.

I followed all installation instructions on the readme file. Is someone having this problem? Is there a way for mc never to try to update?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Installation Problems

Post by FlowerChild »

murillokb wrote:Trying to install BTW right now but the launcher keeps updating my BTW.jar.

I followed all installation instructions on the readme file. Is someone having this problem? Is there a way for mc never to try to update?
If it's constantly updating you likely missed a step in creating a separate install instance. I'd recommend rereading the instructions for a missed step, or if that fails, check the install instructions on the wiki.
murillokb

Post by murillokb »

FlowerChild wrote:I'd recommend rereading the instructions for a missed step, or if that fails, check the install instructions on the wiki.
I just tried again. I followed the instructions from the wiki step by step. Made a copy of the 1.5.2 version. Did all the renaming, .json editing, META-INF deleting and .rar merging. The BTW version shows up in the launcher but when I click play it immediately updates the BetterThanWolves.jar. I'm 100% positive I didn't missed a step.

My minecraft is fresh (just downloaded yesterday to play BTW)
BTW V4.A1 Humped Camel
I'm on windows 8.1 64bits
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Having the same issue here
Spoiler
Show
:
Epsilon wrote:I have to report a strange error, or hopefully I'm just to dump to follow the guide.

Having all done I went into te directory (..\.minecraft\versions\BTW) and the patched jar had around 7mb, all fine. Then I started the launcher, selected the right profile (checked everything was right) and started the game, loaded a world and nothing(!); just vanilla 1.5.2, no BTW and no connected texture or the other things (of course I loaded a texture pack using this things to check this).
Went back to the directory and discovered it had replaced the 7mb jar with the "clean" 5.435kb 1.5.2 one. No Idea why it did so.
I even retried the whole process but before launching opened the jar to check the "META-INF" folder was gone; it was, so no clue where the problem is.

To be honest originally I had some more mods packed on, but with a manual install they work together just fine, and I kept the installation order. When this failed I then tried with really just BTWHumpedChamel.

Any ideas what went wrong, or where I was to dump?

EDIT: the used MCpatcher version was: mcpatcher-5.0.3
fortunately I have a working version of BTWHumpedChamel, but yeah. No clue what this Problem is about -.-
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

There is a short term solution as I just found out, but it's not as cool.
Use the old launcher, therefore you need to have the jar file within the \bin Folder and named "minecraft". Then the old launcher will use it. It worked for me, but the old launcher did't allow me to log me in, so no online Play possible this way as it seams.
Maybe that helps at least a bit.
murillokb

Post by murillokb »

Epsilon wrote: so no online Play possible this way as it seams.
Are you sure you can't play online? I was going to test it myself... I'll try it tomorrow and post the results.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Figured out the issue. Updated my tutorial.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8506&p=141890#p149981

It has to do with the .json file associated with your jar.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Ugh. This is going to get ugly if all BTW users need to start editing bits of JSON by hand :/
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Rob

Post by Rob »

Gilberreke wrote:Ugh. This is going to get ugly if all BTW users need to start editing bits of JSON by hand :/
Yeah, I posted in Kahr's thread on minecraftforums. Not sure if he can automate it with MCPatcher, but one can hope.