[OUTDATED] MultiMC 5 + MCPatcher 3 + BTW (Windows/Linux)

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Gilberreke

[OUTDATED] MultiMC 5 + MCPatcher 3 + BTW (Windows/Linux)

Post by Gilberreke »

For those folks who prefer a superior launcher and also like to run texture packs, as well as playing on 1.6 or 1.7 vanilla sometimes, you have MultiMC 5. It can be a bitch to set up, so small tutorial. Took me a few hours to figure this all, with the help of the current MultiMC author.

Downloading and installing MultiMC
Installation: extract anywhere and run

Downloading and installing MCPatcher
MCForum thread: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1496369-
You need to download the version for the old launcher!
Installation: drop the downloaded file in the same folder as where you extracted MultiMC

Setting up the BTW Instance
  • Open up MultiMC.exe
  • Click the "Add a new instance." button top left
  • Fill out a name for your instance, set version to 1.5.2, click "Ok"
  • Double click the instance to launch it (the game should launch fully!), then quit (to let it download everything)
  • Exit MultiMC (important!)
  • In your file explorer, go to the MMCINSTALL/instances/NAMEYOUCHOSE/ directory (MMCINSTALL is where you installed MultiMC)
  • Open up "instance.cfg" with a text editor
  • Replace "UseCustomBaseJar=false" by "UseCustomBaseJar=true"
  • Replace "NeedsRebuild=false" by "NeedsRebuild=true"
Installing BTW with MCPatcher
  • In your file explorer, got to the MMCINSTALL/lwjgl/ folder
  • There should be a folder called /2.9.0/ (name doesn't matter I think), open it
  • Copy everything inside that folder over to the MMCINSTALL/instances/NAMEYOUCHOSE/minecraft/bin/ folder
  • Open up MCPatcher, might give you an error message saying Minecraft not found, click okay
  • If you got the error message, select the MMCINSTALL/instances/NAMEYOUCHOSE/minecraft/ directory
  • You probably get another error message, click okay
  • Click the browse button next to "Original"
  • Browse to the MMCINSTALL/versions/1.5.2/ folder and select "1.5.2.jar", click "ok"
  • Click the browse button next to "Output"
  • Browse to the MMCINSTALL/instances/NAMEYOUCHOSE/minecraft/bin/ folder (it will probably already be there)
  • Call the file "mcbackup.jar" and save (DO NOT OVERRIDE minecraft.jar!!)
  • Click the "plus (+) sign"
  • Browse to the BTW zip and select it, click "open"
  • Select the BTW-JAR folder and click "OK"
  • Click "OK" again
  • Make sure BTW is at the top of the mod list and select all mods you want to install
  • To move mods up or down, use the up or down pointing triangles
  • Click the "Patch" button
  • Close MCPatcher
Installing BTW without MCPatcher
Spoiler
Show
  • In your file explorer, got to the MMCINSTALL/versions/1.5.2/ folder
  • Remove mcbackup.jar (if it's there)
  • Copy 1.5.2.jar over to MMCINSTALL/instances/NAMEYOUCHOSE/minecraft/bin/
  • Rename it to mcbackup.jar
  • Install BTW into mcbackup.jar, like you normally would with minecraft.jar (DO NOT INSTALL INTO MINECRAFT.JAR)
That's it!
Any texture packs need to be installed to MMCINSTALL/instances/NAMEYOUCHOSE/minecraft/texturepacks/

To update to a new BTW version, you only need to follow the "installing BTW" portion
Last edited by Gilberreke on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
erikdk321

Re: [GUIDE] MultiMC 5 + MCPatcher 3 + BTW (Windows/Linux)

Post by erikdk321 »

Wow thanks for making the thread :)

EDIT: Theres no folder in my lwjgl folder D: What to do!?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

erikdk321 wrote:Theres no folder in my lwjgl folder D: What to do!?
I'm guessing you didn't actually launch the game after creating the instance like the guide tells you to ;)

Each step is important.

"Double click the instance to launch it, then quit (to let it download everything)"
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I did do that
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

And you let the game download everything ? (like try to play the game)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Thanks so much for making this tutorial. I hate the new launcher. It's such a pain in the ass to use. This may be more complicated to set up, but it is functionally superior. So thank you.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I'd appreciate it if you guys mentioned Operating System, 32 or 64 bit, etc. Give me something more to go on if I'm to troubleshoot.

For the lwjgl thing, afaik, it's not possible to play the game at all, unless it downloaded the natives, so I'm not sure what's going wrong there, but I can't see how the folder could be empty unless you didn't fully launch the game.

What happens is, when you launch the game, it downloads the jars, game, natives, etc. If that step is skipped, the folders will be empty. The reason you need that lwjgl step is that MCPatcher expects those natives, or it won't work with a MMC instance.

Ask me if I can be of further assistance.
thekyz wrote:And you let the game download everything ? (like try to play the game)
Yeah, the game should be launched fully.
erikdk321 wrote:I did do that
That seems highly unlikely, as said above. If you launched the game and it worked properly, there should be natives. Are you on Linux by chance? Maybe the Linux version behaves differently. I'll need more to go on then a simple "it doesn't work".
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Gilberreke wrote:
thekyz wrote:And you let the game download everything ? (like try to play the game)
Yeah, the game should be launched fully.
I was actually asking that to erikdk321 ^^
Crazylemon64

Post by Crazylemon64 »

At least in my self-compiled fresh-from-git 64-bit linux version, it seems the lwjgl and jinput libraries are inside jar files within the "libraries" directory,
jwjgl found under "libraries/org/lwjgl/lwjgl/lwjgl-platform/2.9.0/lwjgl-platform-2.9.0-natives-linux.jar"
and jinput found under "libraries/net/java/jinput/jinput-platform/2.0.5/jinput-platform-2.0.5-natives-linux.jar"

The natives should be found during runtime in the "natives" folder within the folder of your instance.

However:
I find no bin folder within the instance folder, and MCPatcher for the old launcher refuses to acknowledge the instance folder as a valid minecraft folder. I have the feeling MultiMC might not be friendly with the old launcher version of MCPatcher.

Version: Fresh from git, 64-bit linux

I was a ninny and selected 1.6.2 rather than 1.5.2, causing me all sorts of confusion.

Following the directions, everything worked smoothly. Nice guide!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Crazylemon64 wrote:Following the directions, everything worked smoothly. Nice guide!
Do you feel like writing a quick blurb about which parts differ between Windows and Linux? Might be handy as I can't test a Linux install.
Crazylemon64

Post by Crazylemon64 »

Gilberreke wrote:
Crazylemon64 wrote:Following the directions, everything worked smoothly. Nice guide!
Do you feel like writing a quick blurb about which parts differ between Windows and Linux? Might be handy as I can't test a Linux install.
Gladly, but the process is largely identical. Everything in your instructions applies to Linux as well, and the only issue I had was a user error (Selecting 1.6.2 instead of 1.5.2). I resolved that by deleting and recreating the profile with the correct version, and I assume I'd have had the same confusion if I were using Windows as well, so that's nothing Linux-specific to worry about. I guess MCPatcher is a jar file which needs to be run with "java -jar MCPatcher.jar" or whatever in non-windows OS's, but that's about it.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I really dont get why that folder isn't there, when i setup my new computer it will hopefully work there.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Crazylemon64 wrote:Gladly, but the process is largely identical. Everything in your instructions applies to Linux as well
Great, I won't touch it then :). I wrote this guide in a way that should be compatible, but I wasn't sure.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Apparently, MCPatcher doesn't like MMC folders on Mac. If I figure out a way to make it behave, I'll write up an extra mini guide for Mac users. Apologies for the inconvenience.
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

So, after some fiddling, I got MMC5 and MCPatcher working on Mac OSX.

Due to MMC being an "Application" on OSX, it requires a right click > show package contents to access any of the folders and files that you need to modify. MCPatcher has difficulty with this and using it with MMC5 on OSX requires a few extra steps.

First, follow all of the instructions in the OP under the Downloading and installing MultiMC and Downloading and installing MCPatcher sections.

I usually run MMC and keep its icon in my dock.

Setting up the BTW Instance
  • Start MMC
  • Click the "Add a new instance" button in the top left
  • Name your instance, set the version to 1.5.2, and click "OK"
  • Double-click the instance, or select the instance and click "Play" in the menu on the right to launch it
  • Let the game launch fully, then quit (to let it download everything)
  • Click the "Open instance folder in a file browser" button in the menu bar. This is the easiest way to access the folders in MMC.
  • Quit MMC (Important!)
  • In the file browser you just opened locate the BTW instance you just created. It should follow this path: Contents/MacOS/instances/YOURINSTANCE/
  • Open the instance.cfg file with TextEdit or your preferred text editor
  • Replace "UseCustomBaseJar=false" with "UseCustomBaseJar=true"
  • Replace "NeedsRebuild=false" with "NeedsRebuild=true"
Essentially, all of the above is the same as in the OP, just with more specific instructions for OSX.

The next bit is where things get a bit tricky.

Installing BTW with MCPatcher
  • In the file browser, navigate to the /lwjgl folder at Contents/MacOS/lwjgl
  • In the /lwjgl folder there should be another folder called /2.9.0
  • Copy the contents of this folder to the /bin folder in your BTW instance here: Contents/MacOS/instances/YOURINSTANCE/minecraft/bin
OK, now for the tricky bit:
  • Take the entire /instances folder and move it (NOT copy it) to another location. The desktop works fine.
  • Do the same thing with the /versions folder.
Run MCPatcher. If you get the "Can't find Minecraft" error, you will need to run Minecraft using the OLD launcher one time to get the files set up correctly in the root Minecraft directory.
  • Once MCPatcher is running, click the browse button next to "Original"
  • Browse to the /versions folder you moved previously and select the "1.5.2.jar" and click OK (For example: Desktop/versions/1.5.2/1.5.2.jar)
  • Now, click the browse button next to "Output"
  • Browse to your BTW instance /bin folder (For example: Desktop/instances/YOURINSTANCE/minecraft/bin)
  • In the "Save as" field, rename the file "mcbackup.jar" and save (DO NOT OVERRIDE minecraft.jar!!)
  • In the "Mods" tab, click on the "plus (+) sign" or "mods > add" in the drop-down menu
  • Browse to the BTW zip and open it
  • Select the BTW-JAR folder and click "OK"
  • Click "OK" again
  • Make sure that BTW is at the TOP of the list of mods
  • Check or uncheck any of the MCPatcher mods you wish/do not wish to use
  • Click the "Patch" button (DO NOT forget to do this!)
  • Close MCPatcher
Now, move the /instances folder and the /versions folder back into the MMC directory at: Contents/MacOS/
  • Run MMC and select your BTW instance
  • Double-click or click "Play"
  • Profit
I would also highly recommend going into the Java settings for your instance and setting the minimum memory to 1024 MB and the maximum memory to 2048 MB with PermGen at 256 MB if you're planning on using most of MCPatcher's features, especially Better Skies, as they can be quite memory-intensive, at least in my experience.

I hope this helps.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

So, I tried following this guide with the BTW instance I was playing with yesterday, and apparently there is no longer a bin folder... Which I guess means you can no longer use MCpatcher with MultiMC?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

abculatter_2 wrote:So, I tried following this guide with the BTW instance I was playing with yesterday, and apparently there is no longer a bin folder... Which I guess means you can no longer use MCpatcher with MultiMC?
This guide is more outdated than my dead grandmother's fashion sense. And, as far as I know, MCPatcher + MMC is still possible somehow, it's just very counter intuitive and painful right now and we can't find a way to make it work decently well. Katalliaan is currently trying out new ways I think, maybe he knows more.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I still have an old copy of MultiMC 4 with my original BTW install, from before they did away with the /bin folder. My steps were:
  • Use MCPatcher to install BTW and whatever other features you want
  • Open both the backup jar MCPatcher creates and the patched jar in 7zip
  • Extract both to their own folders
  • Run a program to find changes against the two folders
  • Create a third folder with all of the changed/added files
  • Create a .zip archive that matches the layout of minecraft.jar (if you're sorting by name, the first folder should be btwmodtex)
  • Select your BTW instance (which at this point is just a 1.5.2 instance)
  • Click "Edit Instance" on the right-hand side; it should open a window with a "Version" tab selected
  • In the window that brings up, click "Add jar mod" on the lower right
  • Select the .zip you made
If you can't get MCPatcher to work, you can follow the above steps, but instead of creating a diff you would create a new zip where the contents of MINECRAFT-JAR are at the root of the archive. As far as programs for creating the patched version of BTW: I used WinDiff, but that gave me the issue that the files it copied were all forced to lowercase; if you get an error complaining that Minecraft can't find a class that's clearly there, it's probably because it's not using the right case.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

The big issue is that it's soooooo easy to install BTW with MMC5 and to get MCPatcher, suddenly you have to jump through a million hoops. I'll have to look into it once more, maybe I can get something going.
abculatter_2

Re: [OUTDATED] MultiMC 5 + MCPatcher 3 + BTW (Windows/Linux)

Post by abculatter_2 »

Just curious if there's been any progress on a simpler way of getting these things to work nicely? That windiff workaround seems like it'll be a pain in the ass to do...
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

abculatter_2 wrote:Just curious if there's been any progress on a simpler way of getting these things to work nicely? That windiff workaround seems like it'll be a pain in the ass to do...
Lots of work to get it to function properly. If I ever find the time, I'll write the code to fix this, but really, it's a mess. I have to tweak MCPatcher code, submit a patch and ask the author to put it in the release. If I do, the MultiMC guys promised me they would create a new function in MMC to make it work from that end.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

Gilberreke wrote: Lots of work to get it to function properly. If I ever find the time, I'll write the code to fix this, but really, it's a mess. I have to tweak MCPatcher code, submit a patch and ask the author to put it in the release. If I do, the MultiMC guys promised me they would create a new function in MMC to make it work from that end.
Well, good luck and god speed, then, and thanks for the time you've already put into this. Sounds like a proper pain in the ass for no good reason...
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

abculatter_2 wrote:Well, good luck and god speed, then, and thanks for the time you've already put into this. Sounds like a proper pain in the ass for no good reason...
The issue is on MCPatcher's side really. It tries to be smart for no good reason.