How to Correctly Install BTW v4.##+ for a Server [MC 1.4.5]

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
walker_boh_65

How to Correctly Install BTW v4.##+ for a Server [MC 1.4.5]

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Better than Wolves Multiplayer has arrived!!! And with it is going to come brand new BTW servers.

This guide is being written to help anyone install this mod on your very own server with ease. This is NOT a guide on how to set up a server, although I would be happy to help you through the process if you ask nicely. :)

NOTE 1: Anyone trying to connect to your server (clients) will need to have the same version of BTW that you are using on your server.

NOTE 2: Jzip has some issues with the jar and it is recommended that you use a different program instead such as Winrar or 7zip.

NOTE 3: As far as I know, the only way to install mods on a server is to do it by hand (sorry for those who use MagicLaunch or MCPatcher to install mods on their client).

To start you are going to need to down the Minecraft Server Jar from here. (link changed while BTW updates, for the new MC version. Link is for a direct download.)
Make sure that you download this file:
Spoiler
Show

Next you are going to want to download BTW (The server version comes packaged with the single player version, meaning that their is only one download) from here.
Spoiler
Show
Then you will want to create a folder (I recommend on the Desktop for ease of access) and name it something such as "BTW Server". You will then want to move the server_jar to this folder from your downloads folder:
Spoiler
Show
Then you will want to run it (it is perfectly okay if it gives you an error message because you have not done your port-forwarding yet) and you should see a set of folders and files that look similar to this:
Spoiler
Show
Next you will want to open it in an achieving program such as WinRAR or 7zip. To do think right click, hover over "Open with", and then select your achieving program from the list:
Spoiler
Show
DO NOT DELETE META-INF!!!

Once you have done this, open up the BTW4-##.zip with the same achieving program and open the folder called "MINECRAFT_SERVER-JAR":
Spoiler
Show
Then select all of the files and folders (you can also press Ctrl + "A" as a shortcut) and drag and drop these files into the minecraft_server.jar:
Spoiler
Show
Finally you will want to go back to the main BTW4-##.zip folder (this can be done in WinRAR by clicking on the three ". . ." at the top. I do not know how other programs handle this) and you will want to move the BTWConfig into your server folder (the one that I have named "BTW Server"):
Spoiler
Show

It should then look like this:
Spoiler
Show
Congratulations, you have just installed this awesome mod onto your brand new multiplayer server! If you want to launch your server (assuming that you have correctly port-forwarded and have your properties folder set up correctly) you will want to double-click the server.jar (not the Minecraft_server.exe if you have it):
Spoiler
Show
Have fun playing BTW with your friends!
Last edited by walker_boh_65 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: How to Correctly Install BTW v4.00 for a Server!!!

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks for putting this together Walker. Will sticky :)
Minecraft4455

Post by Minecraft4455 »

Hello. I would like to know if this works with bukkit? thank you for your time :)
Roablin

Post by Roablin »

Hello, and thank you for writing this guide, it has been very helpful to me so far. Although everything else has worked (BTW is now running on my server) I have just one problem, which I don't know how to fix because I have always used the server.exe in the past instead of the server.jar. When I use the .jar it doesn't create any other files in it's directory like it should. I don;t even know how it runs without those files, but it does and I can't edit the nonexistent files. Is there something I am missing to generate the files?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

That is odd. The files were created just fine for me. Try downloading the exe running that once (on a new world) to try to get the files you need. After that only run the server from the jar, and everything should work just fine.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Minecraft4455 wrote:Hello. I would like to know if this works with bukkit? thank you for your time :)
It doesn't. Special code was written to get this SMP compatible. This code will be refined overtime to improve some compatibility with other server mods, but I doubt it'll end up working with bukkit before the Mod API comes out. Read about the situation after that happens.
Roablin wrote:Hello, and thank you for writing this guide, it has been very helpful to me so far. Although everything else has worked (BTW is now running on my server) I have just one problem, which I don't know how to fix because I have always used the server.exe in the past instead of the server.jar. When I use the .jar it doesn't create any other files in it's directory like it should. I don;t even know how it runs without those files, but it does and I can't edit the nonexistent files. Is there something I am missing to generate the files?
What files are you talking about exactly? The whitelist and some other files are created when the world first runs.
Black Rathalos

Re: How to Correctly Install BTW v4.00+ for a Server!!!

Post by Black Rathalos »

Hey,
I just tried to set up my own server and run into soveral problem I could not solve:
1. download "minecraft_server.jar" from "minecraft.net":
everytime I try to do so I get only a "minecraft_server.zip"
-> I foud another source to get the ".jar" ; and it works as clean version
2. I get an error if i try to start "minecraft_server.jar" after having copied all the files(and folders) from "MINECRAFT_SERVER-JAR"
I did NOT delet the "META-INF" ; also I did NOT install "ModLoader"
I Tried it twice:
a) I run the clean ".jar" and then installed BTW -> did not work -> error ; but the jar created the following folders: "config" "mods" "world" ; and I´m not a 100% sure that should be this way
b) I installed BTW and then run the ".jar" -> did not work -> error
the error is: "A Java Exception has occurred"

hopefully this is enough for you to identify what happens on my PC, imho it is the ".jar" file I used because "ninecraft.net"´s is not downloading correctly.
if you have some time left I would be verry happy to get some help :)

in case I should open my own toppic tell me and i will move this over.

BTW: thanks for this great guide even if it could not solve my problem, it showed me I did nothing wrong as far is i can see.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Black Rathalos wrote:Hey,
I just tried to set up my own server and run into soveral problem I could not solve:
1. download "minecraft_server.jar" from "minecraft.net":
everytime I try to do so I get only a "minecraft_server.zip"
-> I foud another source to get the ".jar" ; and it works as clean version
2. I get an error if i try to start "minecraft_server.jar" after having copied all the files(and folders) from "MINECRAFT_SERVER-JAR"
I did NOT delet the "META-INF" ; also I did NOT install "ModLoader"
I Tried it twice:
a) I run the clean ".jar" and then installed BTW -> did not work -> error ; but the jar created the following folders: "config" "mods" "world" ; and I´m not a 100% sure that should be this way
b) I installed BTW and then run the ".jar" -> did not work -> error
the error is: "A Java Exception has occurred"

hopefully this is enough for you to identify what happens on my PC, imho it is the ".jar" file I used because "ninecraft.net"´s is not downloading correctly.
if you have some time left I would be verry happy to get some help :)

in case I should open my own toppic tell me and i will move this over.

BTW: thanks for this great guide even if it could not solve my problem, it showed me I did nothing wrong as far is i can see.
Two important questions before we proceed further - What operating system are you running, and which link are you clicking on minecraft.net to download the minecraft_server.jar ?
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Black Rathalos

Post by Black Rathalos »

ok,
i just found the error:
the ".jar" file I have (not the one from "minecraft.net") has alredy installed some mods including "modloader" <- thats the problem
morvelaira wrote:What operating system are you running, and which link are you clicking on minecraft.net to download the minecraft_server.jar ?
-I have Windows7
-http://www.minecraft.net/download the last link on this page: "minecraft_server.jar (621 KB)"
but I get only a ".zip" file if i download this

I was used to run the ".exe" for my privat servers... but as this is not working for BTW i tried to get the ".jar" file
Black Rathalos

Post by Black Rathalos »

ok sorry for stealing your time I made it... but not the way it should work:
as i only had a ".zip" of the riginal serverdata and a moded ".jar" I opened both with 7zip, deleted everything in the not original ".jar" and then coppied the data from the ".zip" in the (now empty) ".jar"!
this way i created a clean and semioriginal "minecraft_server.jar"! and now it works as it should.

so again.. sorry for wasting your time with this... I was trying around for over 1h befor asking for help here... and then i just got this imho ;) genius idea...

if someone has a similar problem send me a pm and i can explain more detailed what i did to fix my problem...

never the less thank you morvelaira for your realy fast answer... i realy like your news ;)
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

How to do it on a Mac? When you turn the minecraft_server.jar into a folder, which is necessary step on a Mac, (You can't just open the jar file by itself,) the server is unable to access it.
Quality comes before quantity.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

ThatOneDude wrote:How to do it on a Mac? When you turn the minecraft_server.jar into a folder, which is necessary step on a Mac, (You can't just open the jar file by itself,) the server is unable to access it.
Can you add the mod into the jar before you turn it into a folder? (Just a thought, I have little experience using a mac, yet alone modding anything on it.)
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

No, the point of turning it into a folder is so you can access what's inside of it, because you can't open ordinally jar files by default on a Mac. There's probably an application you can download that allows you to do that, but I haven't found one yet.
emtffkev

Re: How to Correctly Install BTW v4.00+ for a Server [MC 1.3

Post by emtffkev »

Walker,

Can I suggest with the releasing of MC past 1.3.2 that you change the link in your OP first step to obtain the server jar from the default location to:
http://assets.minecraft.net/1_3_2/minecraft_server.jar

This will ensure that the person gets the 1.3.2 jar correctly.

Otherwise, thanks for this great resource.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

emtffkev wrote:Walker,

Can I suggest with the releasing of MC past 1.3.2 that you change the link in your OP first step to obtain the server jar from the default location to:
http://assets.minecraft.net/1_3_2/minecraft_server.jar

This will ensure that the person gets the 1.3.2 jar correctly.

Otherwise, thanks for this great resource.
Yes, I would love to, I would just like confirmation that this link is given by Mojang not by a third party.
emtffkev

Post by emtffkev »

This is on the Mojang domain so I assume yes. Though, somebody else may be able to confirm better than me.
azagal73

Post by azagal73 »

emtffkev wrote:This is on the Mojang domain so I assume yes. Though, somebody else may be able to confirm better than me.
It is Mojang's server. It's where they have all the releases and snapshots for download.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

azagal73 wrote:
emtffkev wrote:This is on the Mojang domain so I assume yes. Though, somebody else may be able to confirm better than me.
It is Mojang's server. It's where they have all the releases and snapshots for download.
I looked into it and changed the link, but I forgot to mention it since I did it shortly before the hurricane knocked out my power.

Thanks for the link emtffkev.
justingoth

Post by justingoth »

I keep getting a message when i try to move the btw files to the server that the server files are corrupt
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

justingoth wrote:I keep getting a message when i try to move the btw files to the server that the server files are corrupt
Try downloading a new Server Jar from this link:
http://assets.minecraft.net/1_4_5/minecraft_server.jar
xou816

Re: How to Correctly Install BTW v4.##+ for a Server [MC 1.4

Post by xou816 »

Just a quick note about Roablin's problem (although it is old, it can still be useful):
I guess he was running a Unix based system since I had the same "issue" on my Ubuntu computer.
In fact it is not an issue; when you run the server .jar, it reads it as if you were in your home folder. That's why it is better to launch your server by going via a console in the server folder, and then running it. (cd yourfolder/) Indeed the working directory is by default your home, and you need to "cd" to run your server properly.
So I think Roablin's files got generated in his home folder, and everytime he launched it, it was running from his home folder!
ThatOneDude

Post by ThatOneDude »

Where do I put the config file?
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

ThatOneDude wrote:Where do I put the config file?
Config file goes into the same folder as the minecraft_server.jar file.
Qcumbersalad

Post by Qcumbersalad »

I finally got the BTW.rar to add files to the minecraft_server.jar

unfortunately when i try to run the .jar it says "A Java exception has occurred." still need help
on last legs to get this to work, been at it for 2 hours, please Help.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

Qcumbersalad wrote:I finally got the BTW.rar to add files to the minecraft_server.jar

unfortunately when i try to run the .jar it says "A Java exception has occurred." still need help
on last legs to get this to work, been at it for 2 hours, please Help.
We'll need more than that to help you. Also, create a new thread for this, as it is moving towards the off-topic section for this thread.