How to correctly install BTW 3.92-4.12 with OptiFine

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
jonny_AB

How to correctly install BTW 3.92-4.12 with OptiFine

Post by jonny_AB »

Not everyone has a beast for a computer, and so OptiFine is almost a requirement in order to run Minecraft.
Currently, though, OptiFine and BTW conflict in that they both overwrite 7 class files.
That's where I come in. After a couple of minutes of testing (yes, that's really all it takes) I've figured out the correct method of installation.

//Note: In OptiFine version B3, SP614x seems to have changed the method in which the game retrieves textures, causing the graphical issue where blocks use textures from the default texture sheet rather than FC's texture sheet.
Because of this, it's recommended you use versions B2 and earlier.

First off, check your .minecraft directory for a optionsof.txt
If you have one, great! If not, don't worry, as it'll generate later.
If you do have one, open it using a text editor and find this line:

Code: Select all

ofRandomMobs:false
Make sure this is set to false, then save and exit.
Next up, the actual installation! Yay!

1. Open your minecraft.jar using WinRar or something of the like, and delete the META-INF file
2. Install ModLoader
3. Install BTW as normal.

Now here's when it get's a bit technical.

Open up the OptiFine zip file and select every single file.
Next, while holding down the Crtl button on your keyboard, go back and single-click on the following files:

Code: Select all

auw.class
avg.class
jw.class
What you've just done is deselected the major conflicting files. Hooray!
Now you just need to drag and drop the remaining files into your minecraft.jar, close it, and then you're done!

Some notes:
-only works with OptiFine versions HD B2 and earlier
-removed all particle effects, save for rain (and I'm not sure why) :(
-removes OptiFine's RandoMobs feature :(
-removes OptiFine's Zoom feature :(
-corrects the weird graphic issue most people had with grass slabs :)
-corrects the invisible Dragon Orbs from default install :)
Last edited by jonny_AB on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"What's the meaning of life?"
Though your life’s given meaning by you
I’ll say what I’ve found to be true -
it’s enriching your mind
but above all, be kind.
(Or alternatively, “forty-two.”)
Ceunon

Re: How to correctly install BTW 3.92 with OptiFine

Post by Ceunon »

Damn, thank you so much for that, bro.

I've been scratching my head for a while trying to make both BTW and Optifine work together. I play on a crappy notebook, so I really needed Optifine to make things run smoothly.

Thanks again =)
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

BTW-3.92 shares 7 base class files with optifine. I would suggest installing BTW after optifine to make sure you get all the BTW features and such. And also disable random mobs. However with all the code changes I would think you might run into optifine problems doing that. I've given up on optifine with BTW. ymmv though.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Imightbereal

Post by Imightbereal »

Thanks man
Its much appreciated :)
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
Zen Proclivities

Post by Zen Proclivities »

This still works with BTW 3.97 and Optifine B2 but not Optifine B3.

With B3, there's some texture weirdness that occurs (stone looked like wood, sections of walls/floor have that purple non-texture texture, columns become wheat, hemp is gray and weird, SFS tools are strange, etc).
Don't know why it's happening, so stick with B2 until somebody figures out the issue.
jonny_AB

Post by jonny_AB »

You are correct, and after a bit of testing, I think I've figured out why. Needless to say I'll be updating the OP in a bit.

Updated! Added detailed instructions for noobs previous users of magic launcher/mcpatcher/some other unnecessary mod installer
it’s enriching your mind
but above all, be kind.
LAG3R

Re: How to correctly install BTW 3.92+ with OptiFine

Post by LAG3R »

My optifine doesn't crash with better than wolves BUT it does stuff the better than wolves textures up, like so:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Does anyone know why?
jonny_AB

Post by jonny_AB »

I could have sworn I'd found away around that. Hm.
I've updated the OP to warn people about using B3
it’s enriching your mind
but above all, be kind.
MattThePadawan

Post by MattThePadawan »

I have questions. What version of optifine is it? Standard B2, ultra B2, light or any? Installing optifine like this, does it disable HD features for optifine? And finally, if it does disable it, does this make mcpatcher usable?
jonny_AB

Post by jonny_AB »

MattThePadawan wrote:I have questions. What version of optifine is it? Standard B2, ultra B2, light or any? Installing optifine like this, does it disable HD features for optifine? And finally, if it does disable it, does this make mcpatcher usable?
Well, if you read the full post, you'll have your answer
it’s enriching your mind
but above all, be kind.
LAG3R

Post by LAG3R »

jonny_AB wrote:I could have sworn I'd found away around that. Hm.
I've updated the OP to warn people about using B3
Thanks!
SparticusIam

Post by SparticusIam »

Thank you very much, and sorry for the post in the wrong place, like I said I'm very computer talk illiterate
GodOfBreadSticks

Post by GodOfBreadSticks »

I followed your instructions and everything seems to be working except for one thing, my water's texture appears to be missing.
Spoiler
Show
I used HD_B2 and I don't have any other jar based mods. If it matters I'm using a non-edited John Smith texture pack. It's not the worst thing in the world but if it has to do with a conflict in between optifine and Better Than Wolves instead of me just being dumb I think people should be aware of it.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

GodOfBreadSticks wrote:I followed your instructions and everything seems to be working except for one thing, my water's texture appears to be missing.
Spoiler
Show
I used HD_B2 and I don't have any other jar based mods. If it matters I'm using a non-edited John Smith texture pack. It's not the worst thing in the world but if it has to do with a conflict in between optifine and Better Than Wolves instead of me just being dumb I think people should be aware of it.
Do you have the clear water option turned on? (I think that is still a thing, right?)
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

GodOfBreadSticks wrote:I followed your instructions and everything seems to be working except for one thing, my water's texture appears to be missing.
Spoiler
Show

FIX: Turn fancy textures off at the main options window, then go into the Optifine settings and turn them all back on individually.

Edit: yay! my account is still here.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
GodOfBreadSticks

Post by GodOfBreadSticks »

the_fodder wrote:

FIX: Turn fancy textures off at the main options window, then go into the Optifine settings and turn them all back on individually.

Edit: yay! my account is still here.

Ah yes, that's fixed it! Thank you kindly for the quick reply.
scooterdanny

Post by scooterdanny »

Is there no way we can get B3 to be compatible with BTW? I really would like the functions like clear water, multi-core render, and all the other goodies, as in, if somebody could figure out what class file exactly is mixing the blocks & items up, i would greatly appreciate it.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I tried installing B2 the way you describe. I still get the texture mash-up. Could it be related to something else?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
scooterdanny

Post by scooterdanny »

Hmm trying B2 seems to let me play, but displays alternate little textures like fire on blocks in the corner, the class files in b2 for 1.3.2 seem to have changed?
aus.class
auw.class
avb.class
avc.class
avg.class
ik.class
VersionThread.class

Deleting the auw, and avg allow play, (also create a new optionsof.txt and put only the ofRandomMobs:false in) but artifacts remain in textures on sphax 128x, also texture mashup remains sadly, may just fall back on using B3 and living with the mixed Textures, as i cannot seem to play on x16 default.
(I realized that mcpatcher could be used, but trying to patch my jar only ended with a black screen on launch)

On a side note, would setting the BTW id's differently allow for compatibility?
Interestingly the item that are utilizing high id's like fried eggs, and such display correctly, i will try fiddling with the item id's to resolve this.
Edit: Sadly, changing these id's does not seem to change the mashup.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Itamarcu wrote:I tried installing B2 the way you describe. I still get the texture mash-up. Could it be related to something else?
Please define texture mash-up (see bellow) and what do you mean something else? Did you install other mods?
scooterdanny wrote:Hmm trying B2 seems to let me play, but displays alternate little textures like fire on blocks in the corner.
What you are describing here sounds like you are using HD textures WITHOUT modloader, Also you mentoned removing auw.class and avg.class but not jw.class, did you not delete it? I verified that 128 sphax did not have the artifacts you mentioned.

This is the way I installed on two WIN7 64bit systems. Credit goes to jonny_AB for original instructions, I am just spelling out every steps so the logic impaired won't have to mind so many gaps.

decided to spoiler this as it jumped from 3 steps to 13.
Spoiler
Show
1: Force update of minecraft used launcher
2: D/L & save modloader for 1.32; Optifine B2; BTW 4.01
3: Create new folder named 'CleanJAR+Modloader+btw_4.01+optifine_HD_b2(-auw,avg,jw)' - Note: This step is for when I ultimately 'EFF up my jar and I have to start over, put them where ever it makes sense for you, I have them on Googledrive.
4:Extract ModLoader using 7zip into CleanJar folder
5:Extract BTW using 7zip into CleanJar folder
6:Extract Optifine using 7zip into IT'S OWN folder 'optifine_1.3.2_HD_b2(-auw,avg,jw)' Remembering to delete the (-auw,avg,jw) files. - Note: this step is because FC is a madman and keeps updating, I have tried reversing the mod install options but haven't gotten it to work.
7: Copy contents of Optifine folder in CleanJAR folder.
8: Open up .minecraft folder (start>run %appdata%), drop in BTWconfig.txt & Delete/backup other config.txt or options.txt files (options.txt is official minecraft file) and anything in the mods folder. - Note: This step is to insure you don't have random mods mucking up a clean install, not that you can't run any other mods. I am running rei minimap.
9: Open minecraft.jar using 7zip. (in bin folder)
10: Delete META-INF and copy the contents of CleanJar into minecraft.jar overwriting when prompted.

Now we just need to launch the game and edit optifine settings.
1: Set graphics to Fast on main Video settings screen then go into details to turn them all back to fancy. - NOTE: this fixed invisible water for me.
2: Turn off Random Mobs in the Quality menu
3: Adjust features as needed for your computer specs
jonny_AB wrote: Some notes:
-only works with OptiFine versions HD B2 and earlier
-removed all particle effects, save for rain (and I'm not sure why) :(
-removes OptiFine's RandoMobs feature :(
-removes OptiFine's Zoom feature :(
-corrects the weird graphic issue most people had with grass slabs :)
-corrects the invisible Dragon Orbs from default install :)
Again All credit goes to jonny_AB, he figured it out the class file conflicts I just rewrote it so I can get my friends to install. I am really waiting on someone to figure out how to get the particles and zoom feature back
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
jonny_AB

Post by jonny_AB »

I suppose it'd be helpful if I posted these notes for everyone.
These are from my personal testing on a clean install with ModLoader, BTW, then OptiFine.

Replacing (aus) with BTW's crashes on startup but leaves a crash log. Likely (WorldRenderer)
Not replacing (auw) with BTW's crashes on startup, likely removes OF's Zoom feature.
Replacing (avb) doesn't crash, however, all blocks are invisible. Also note that particles are present. Likely (RenderGlobal)
Replacing (ave) with BTW's crashes on world load but leaves a crash log. Likely (ChunkRenderer)
Replacing (avf) with BTW's crashes on startup and doesn't leave a crash log
Replacing (avg) with BTW's doesn't crash, fixes grass rendering on dirt slabs.
Replacing (jw) with BTW's doesn't crash, fixes Dragon Orbs/Arcane Scroll, removes RandoMobs. Likely (EntityRenderer)
it’s enriching your mind
but above all, be kind.
Cernunnos7

Re: How to correctly install BTW 3.92-4.01 with OptiFine

Post by Cernunnos7 »

Thanks so much man. I figured out the same thing but I was using B3. Until you mentioned I hadnt thought to look for an earlier version. Much appreciated.
Glace1221

Post by Glace1221 »

I tried the original steps with the current version of BTW and the current version of Optifine ultra, and I left out 2 of the 3 files, with only the avg class file from Optifine being added to overwrite the one from BTW.

This way, I noticed that the water appeared, the particals also appeared, and the BTW items that I tested (like the soulforged tools) had their proper textures, though this does not guarantee that the BTW blocks will have their proper textures. As a matter as fact, they don't have the right textures, but I figured it was worth a try.

However, and this is a problem I've had with Optifine before, even with the grass set to fancy and everything else set to default or fast, it still looks like the fast version of the grass. That is, instead of the side grass looking like how it does in the texture pack I use, it uses the short, un-matching side grass from the default texture pack.

I could possibly modify the side-grass textures for the texture pack that I use to better match it, but is there any way to fix this?

EDIT: Same thing happens with the B2 version of Optifine Ultra.
jonny_AB

Post by jonny_AB »

It's a known issue, and no one's been able to find a work around.
it’s enriching your mind
but above all, be kind.
Glace1221

Post by Glace1221 »

Well, I found a work around....well, I mean, I KINDA found one. It's good enough for me, anyways. I modified the default side grass of my texturepack.