Forum Manual (or how to make your posts pretty)

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
M!C

Forum Manual (or how to make your posts pretty)

Post by M!C »

1. Bold, Italic, Underline, Strikethough, Font Colour
Spoiler
Show
Pretty simple, there's two ways to do this(these are used in all other tags too):

a) Mark the text you want to change, then click the according button.
b) Click the button of your choice, then type or copy in the text you want to change.

Note: - All of these can be combined in anyway you like. Be careful to not overuse them though since that could annoy others.

What it should look like:
While typing:ImageResult:Image
2. Spoiler
Spoiler
Show
Same as above really in regards to making them.
Optionally you can change the heading of your spoiler (see images below).

Notes:

- When posting pictures/videos (especially large ones or lots of them) it is generally advisable to put them in spoilers to make things easier for people with slow internet connections. It's also easier to overlook your post and with that read and understand it.
- You can't have spoilers within spoilers.
- Don't use spoilers where it's unnecessary. People don't like clicking around for nothing.

What it should look like(with spoiler title):

3. Links
Spoiler
Show
First method displays the URL in blue font, people can click on that to get to the site you've linked.
The second method displays a text of your choice, clicking on that leads people to the site you've linked.

Notes:
- There are rules on what you can link to and what is forbidden. You should have seen those when creating your account. (If someone has the link I'd like to put it here).
- Sure you can also link images and videos this way but it's faster for others if you use the appropriate methods for those (cp. 4./ 5.).

What it should look like (first method):

What it should look like (second method):

4. Images
Spoiler
Show
Using this tag you can link to any image on the internet be it one uploaded by yourself or someone else.

Notes:
- Rules for links apply obviously
- Be careful about linking pictures with high resolution. Even with spoiler tags every image in a thread will be loaded, making the life of people with slow connections difficult. Also keep in mind some users will be using smaller resolutions than you. Your 3000x2000 picture means lots of scrolling sideways for them and they might not be able to see what you want them too.
- When posting pictures (especially large ones or lots of them) it is generally advisable to put them in spoilers to make things easier for people with slow internet connections. It's also easier to overlook your post and with that, read and understand it.

Step 1 (optional)
Upload your image to one of the image hosters listed below.

Photobucket
Imgur
Imageshack
Uppix
Dropbox
CPC (French)

Step 2
Obtain the URL of your picture (on "regular" webpages you can do that via right-click)

Example (Photobucket):

5. Youtube Links
Spoiler
Show
Step 1:
You need the ID of your video.
Where to find it (it's the part circled red):
ImageImage

Notes:
- Rules for links apply obviously
- When posting pictures/videos (especially large ones or lots of them) it is generally advisable to put them in spoilers to make things easier for people with slow internet connections. It's also easier to overlook your post and with that read and understand it.
- Just so you know: Some people might not be able to view your videos if they have music with certain copyright on them.

What it should look like (Step 2):

6. Quotes
Spoiler
Show
This time there are three ways to get this tag working in your post:
a) Type it yourself as is shown below (usually only done when quoting off-site sources)
b) Use the button in the bottom-right corner of the post you want to quote:
c) Use the list at the bottom of the reply-window (especially useful when quoting multiple posts):

Notes:
- If you are answering/replying/referring to any posts made before yours always use the quote tag so that people don't have to guess what you are talking about and don't have to scroll around needlessly to find your context.
- Try to avoid stacking too many quotes (2 or 3 is no problem much more is). It doesn't look nice, occupies lots of screen-space and makes your post look cluttered.
- Especially when quoting long posts it is advisable to reduce the quote to those passages you are reffering to and leave out the rest.

7. Anchors
Spoiler
Show
Use these for XXL posts. With this you can have links to anchors you placed somewhere in your posts (or on the same page in another post). This will reduce the amount of scrolling people have to do. Best (and biggest) example is Battosay's video corner.

What it should look like (the link part):

What it should look like (the anchor part):

Can't make sense of this? Further down in this topic you can find another example by Battosay.

Thanks for your help Battosay!
8. Lists
Spoiler
Show
This tag is used to create ... yes, you're right, lists.

What it should look like (with different symbols):

Note: Instead of "1" you can also use "a", "A", "i", "I" which will result in "a., b., c., ...", A., B., C., ...", "i., ii., iii., ...", "I., II., III., ... .

Thanks for your help sargunster!
9. Code
Spoiler
Show
Anything within code tags will use a fixed width font and will not be parsed as bbcode. You can use it whenever you want people to see your code and not the result of it. (Yes it would have been perfect for this manual but I didn't know it at first and then wanted to keep the results next to the code not below it.)

What it looks like:

Thanks for your help sargunster!
Important final notes:

The preview button is your friend.
Whenever you are unsure if you got things right use it to check your post before submitting it. That applies specifically when you're making huge more complex posts like the one you see in front of you.

You can look at how others used tags to structure their post.
Simply click at the quote button and you'll see the entire code in front of you.

Make sure that everyone can understand you.
The nicest looking post isn't worth anything if you don't use proper wording, grammar, punctuation and format. Of course nobody here will lynch you just because English isn't your native language and you've made a mistake. Deliberately trying to make reading/understanding your post difficult (e.g. with leetspeak, wall of text etc.) however is unpolite, will stop people from reading your post and can earn you a ban.
Last edited by M!C on Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 14 times in total.
M!C

Re: Forum Manual (how make you posts pretty) ;)

Post by M!C »

I'd also like feedback on the form/style I used here.

Is everything clearly understandable?

There's lots of things missing still so wait until I had a chance to fill the gaps before telling me I forgot something. ;)
morvelaira

Re: Forum Manual (how to make you posts pretty) ;)

Post by morvelaira »

Looks awesome so far. I'll tackle that YouTube section when I get home.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

IMGUR is by far the best and easiest I've ever used.

The format is great btw. :)
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Yeah, a good sticky thread for not-used-to-forum persons ;-)
Thanks for them (and for me, of course :p)

EDIT :
So that it's clear : I like the way you made it. It's easy to understand and it includes pictures ! Pretty good ;- )
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
M!C

Post by M!C »

morvelaira wrote:Looks awesome so far. I'll tackle that YouTube section when I get home.
Oh, sorry I was already working on that one when you posted. If you have anything to add though ... ;)
FurkeyRefills wrote:IMGUR is by far the best and easiest I've ever used.
Added to the list.
Gormador wrote:Yeah, a good sticky thread for not-used-to-forum persons ;-)
Thanks for them (and for me, of course :p)

EDIT :
So that it's clear : I like the way you made it. It's easy to understand and it includes pictures ! Pretty good ;- )
Thanks for all the feedback. I hope in the end this will be a worthy read (even for our veterans).

Ok , I'll turn in for the night. Will finish this up/integrate what you guys did either tomorrow or the day after.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Nice work man :)
Just added 2 image hosters to your list.

Also, for the anchor, you just have to type

Code: Select all

¤This is an [anchor]anchor[/anchor]
¤[goto=anchor]And this entire line will link to the part of your post with the anchor[/goto]
And then you'll get this :
Spoiler
Show
¤This is an anchor

(random letters to make a loooong post, scroll down)
a
z
e
r
t
f
h
f
d
h
frh
df
h
df
x
w
dx
v
cb
vn
vn
b
v
d
t
h
g
df
d
f
g

h
f

d
d
df
f
g
h
h

f
f
c
x
d
df
¤And this entire line will link to the part of your post with the anchor
MrGrau

Post by MrGrau »

A few weeks ago I found myself using a lot of image uploading sites/programs for Minecraft screenshots, and I found that dropbox was extremely helpful and simple.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

might want to add putting videos in spoilers as well. Those slow down my loading more than anything else.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

The code tags are simple: anything within the code tags will use a fixed width font and will not be parsed as bbcode.
Example:

[b]This text isn't bold.[/b]
Lists are slightly more complex. Anything within the list tags will be indented, like this:
  • Item 1
    Item 2
Use can use [*] within your list to create these:
  • Item 1
  • Item 2
  1. Item 1
  2. Item 2
  1. Item 1
  2. Item 2
  1. Item 1
  2. Item 2
  1. Item 1
  2. Item 2
  1. Item 1
  2. Item 2
BBCode for the above examples
Show

[code][b]This text isn't bold.[/b]
  • Item 1
    Item 2
  • Item 1
  • Item 2
  1. Item 1
  2. Item 2
  1. Item 1
  2. Item 2
  1. Item 1
  2. Item 2
  1. Item 1
  2. Item 2
  1. Item 1
  2. Item 2
[/code]
FurkeyRefills

Post by FurkeyRefills »

Would you like me to do the images section ?
Had a lot of experience doing that :)
FlowerChild wrote:I've made another decision... Fuck being a plug-in.
thekyz

Post by thekyz »

Thx for the guide!
This one is nice for hosting images too:
http://tof.canardpc.com/
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Good job man!
I haven't known how to use anchor or Youtube tags.

About the list:
You just write the
  • code, like the rest, and press ENTER to make a new line. I suggest starting each line with a - symbol.

For instance:
    • -BTW is great
      -BTW is not so great
      -The sentence above this sentence is false
      -I like grates.
I'm not sure about the
  • tag.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

1 very minor thing.
If you move the "while typing" and "result" titles above the columns as opposed to next to them it will be easier to read.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
M!C

Post by M!C »

Thanks for all the help and examples so far!

You make it much easier for me to get this thing done.
MoRmEnGiL wrote:1 very minor thing.
If you move the "while typing" and "result" titles above the columns as opposed to next to them it will be easier to read.
Very true, however I have no idea how to do that and still have the images displayed on one level ...

EDIT:
walker_boh_65 wrote:might want to add putting videos in spoilers as well. Those slow down my loading more than anything else.
Done.
M!C

Re: Forum Manual (or how to make your posts pretty)

Post by M!C »

Ok, I think I got everything covered. Thanks again, to everyone for helping me again.

If you find I forgot something, made lots of typos or made a mistake, please tell me so I can fix it.
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

I appreciate this guide to no end, thanks for putting it together, everyone.
I only have a minor thing to suggest though, I wasn't able to figure out how to make anchors work using the tags in the OP, it was only when I found Battosay's post which has this strange character in it: ¤ (which I can't even name, let alone duplicate except through copy/paste) So my suggestion is that you change the OP to include his information, especially that little asterisk doo-dad. (what's it called anyway?)

As I said, not important, as I was able to find his post fairly quickly and fix the anchors in my thread, but since this is a tutorial for the less BBCode skilled folks such as myself, it might prevent a good amount of confusion.
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.
M!C

Post by M!C »

TaterBoy wrote:I appreciate this guide to no end, thanks for putting it together, everyone.
I only have a minor thing to suggest though, I wasn't able to figure out how to make anchors work using the tags in the OP, it was only when I found Battosay's post which has this strange character in it: ¤ (which I can't even name, let alone duplicate except through copy/paste) So my suggestion is that you change the OP to include his information, especially that little asterisk doo-dad. (what's it called anyway?)

As I said, not important, as I was able to find his post fairly quickly and fix the anchors in my thread, but since this is a tutorial for the less BBCode skilled folks such as myself, it might prevent a good amount of confusion.
Thanks for pointing that out.
I added a link to the post in question to the anchor section.