Easily install your mods with the MC Patcher

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Battosay

Easily install your mods with the MC Patcher

Post by Battosay »

Just thought it might be usefull to some people to have a video tutorial about that, so here it is :)

And remember the order :
- Modloader
- BTW
- HD Textures

Or you can check the Wiki page, in which you'll find all the infos you might need :
http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?tit ... ion_method
morvelaira

Re: Install your mods with the HD Patcher

Post by morvelaira »

We were just having a big discussion on this yesterday or the day before while I was trying to set things up for the Outpost. Thanks :D
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Yours is far superior to mine, so please unsticky it. That and you know how to use the thing, I not so much.
Last edited by walker_boh_65 on Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

I bow to you a bit more since you did that video. I never wanted to use the HD patcher to install mods because I thought it would be a mess.
Now I save time and play more.
*bow*
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

What about the folder in the BTW zip with the forge hooks? Isn't that necessary to run BTW? By default I always install btw twice when I use the MCPatcher, once with the Forge folder, and again with the main folder... I never tried it without the forge folder though....
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
M!C

Post by M!C »

Nice! Now I can send people here instead of confusing them will a wall of text.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

jorgebonafe wrote:What about the folder in the BTW zip with the forge hooks? Isn't that necessary to run BTW? By default I always install btw twice when I use the MCPatcher, once with the Forge folder, and again with the main folder... I never tried it without the forge folder though....
No you don't need to use it. This folder only contains the source code of what flowerChild uses from the Forge, as requested by "distribution license" (sorry if it's not the correct term).
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Ah, so the code is already on the mod classes? I get it... explains also why no weird bugs ocurred as a result of me adding those classes to the jar :P
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

jorgebonafe wrote:Ah, so the code is already on the mod classes? I get it... explains also why no weird bugs ocurred as a result of me adding those classes to the jar :P
Wait, you meant the "forge" folder in the MINECRAFT-JAR folder from the btw rar ? If so, yes this folder is required !
And sorry for the misunderstanding... I thought you were speaking about the FORGE-SRC folder from the btw rar.

EDIT :
Oh, I forgot : You may spank me.
Please ?
:p
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Gormador wrote:
jorgebonafe wrote:Ah, so the code is already on the mod classes? I get it... explains also why no weird bugs ocurred as a result of me adding those classes to the jar :P
Wait, you meant the "forge" folder in the MINECRAFT-JAR folder from the btw rar ? If so, yes this folder is required !
And sorry for the misunderstanding... I thought you were speaking about the FORGE-SRC folder from the btw rar.
No, no, I was actually talking about the FORGE-SRC folder. I always included it. I guess I won't anymore :P Thanks for the clarification.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

jorgebonafe wrote: No, no, I was actually talking about the FORGE-SRC folder. I always included it. I guess I won't anymore :P Thanks for the clarification.
Does this mean no spanking ?
*sad face*
You're welcome ;-)
Dextralus

Re: Easily install your mods with the MC Patcher

Post by Dextralus »

Thought I'd mention here that MC Patcher is the means by which I install BTW on the Ubuntu side of my computer (+other mods). Perhaps I'll make a pictorial guide sometime but hopefully a few searches will be directed here as well, as I understand installing mods in linux gives some folks a spot of trouble.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

quick question: I can't get the config file to copy over, trying to turn HC spawn off for a lan game but we can't get the file to transfer over when we use mcpatcher. Any thoughts?
Rawr :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

myrkana wrote:quick question: I can't get the config file to copy over, trying to turn HC spawn off for a lan game but we can't get the file to transfer over when we use mcpatcher. Any thoughts?
Yes: Grow a pair and leave it on :)
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

FlowerChild wrote:
myrkana wrote:quick question: I can't get the config file to copy over, trying to turn HC spawn off for a lan game but we can't get the file to transfer over when we use mcpatcher. Any thoughts?
Yes: Grow a pair and leave it on :)

:-p it's not very fun to play cooperatively with someone when you can't find them xD and I suck at the not dying in the cave thing haha

well we got the config file to stay in the correct spot(with in the minecraft.jar) but the game won't use it or something o.O when I open it the spots i wanted changed to 0's are 0's xD
Rawr :D
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

myrkana wrote: :-p it's not very fun to play cooperatively with someone when you can't find them xD and I suck at the not dying in the cave thing haha

well we got the config file to stay in the correct spot(with in the minecraft.jar) but the game won't use it or something o.O when I open it the spots i wanted changed to 0's are 0's xD
Manually move the config file into the .minecraft folder if you want to be able to change options.
WeedFather

Post by WeedFather »

For some reason, every time I use MCpatcher, it resets all the mods in Minecraft.jar, and when I try to re-install BTW, all I get is a black screen when the game starts. When I tried to install modloader manually after using MCpatcher, I get a blank screen and then an error:
Spoiler
Show
Minecraft has crashed!
----------------------

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem; Unexpected error

A full error report has been saved to C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\crash-reports\crash-2013-04-25_20.20.31-client.txt - Please include a copy of that file (Not this screen!) if you report this crash to anyone; without it, they will not be able to help fix the crash :(

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 5ea2a207 --------
Full report at:
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\crash-reports\crash-2013-04-25_20.20.31-client.txt
Please show that file to Mojang, NOT just this screen!

Generated 4/25/13 8:20 PM

-- System Details --
Details:
Minecraft Version: 1.5.1
Operating System: Windows 7 (amd64) version 6.1
Java Version: 1.7.0_17, Oracle Corporation
Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
Memory: 456656120 bytes (435 MB) / 514523136 bytes (490 MB) up to 954466304 bytes (910 MB)
JVM Flags: 2 total; -Xms512m -Xmx1024m
AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used
Suspicious classes: ModLoader, EntityRendererProxy, BaseMod, ...[com.prupe.mcpatcher.MCPatcherUtils, Config, MCLogger, ...], [com.prupe.mcpatcher.mod.ColorizeItem, AAHelper, TessellatorUtils, ...]
IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0
ModLoader: Mods loaded: 4
ModLoader 1.5.1
mod_Gibs 1.5.1v1
mod_RecipeBook 1.5.1
mod_sophwolves 1.4.7

LWJGL: 2.4.2
OpenGL: GeForce GTX 660M/PCIe/SSE2 GL version 4.3.0, NVIDIA Corporation
Is Modded: Very likely; Jar signature invalidated
Type: Client (map_client.txt)
Texture Pack: converted-1330893724.6876.zip
Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
Vec3 Pool Size: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null

java.lang.IllegalAccessError: tried to access method bgf.c(I)V from class com.prupe.mcpatcher.TexturePackAPI
at com.prupe.mcpatcher.TexturePackAPI.bindTexture(TexturePackAPI.java:223)
at com.prupe.mcpatcher.mod.MipmapHelper.copySubTexture(MipmapHelper.java:127)
at bip.a(SourceFile:289)
at bim.l(TextureStitched.java:189)
at bis.c(SourceFile:166)
at bgf.b(RenderEngine.java:394)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.l(SourceFile:1060)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.K(SourceFile:574)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:526)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
--- END ERROR REPORT f31539eb ----------
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

WeedFather wrote:For some reason, every time I use MCpatcher, it resets all the mods in Minecraft.jar, and when I try to re-install BTW, all I get is a black screen when the game starts.
MCPatcher is meant to be used on a fresh, unmodded minecraft.jar file. MCPatcher can be set to apply all the mods for you when you patch your jar file.

I've heard that Better Than Wolves does not work with MCPatcher's "custom colors" feature. You might try turning that off when you patch.

If you're getting black screens, you may have conflicting ModLoader mods in your mods folder. Or you might be using the wrong version of ModLoader or the wrong version of one of your other mods.
WeedFather

Post by WeedFather »

True. I HAVE been using smart moving, and still can, but I think SmartMoving with MCPatcher with BTW is just impossible now, which is cool because 1.5.1 has built-in HD and animations support. Besides enabling HD support, there's not really anything in MCPatcher that I care about; just some things I would prefer to have.

So far, I've tried using McPatcher with SmartMoving and BTW, in which there is a conflict between BTW and PLayerAPI for SmartMoving, and every time, there's invisible chunks and terrain all around.

I have a jar file with BTW, PlayerApi, and SmartMoving installed, and everything (from what I can tell), work fine. I know there's a compatibility issue between SmartMoving and PlayerAPI that messes with compasses, but compasses are useless most of the time anyways, and ever since 1.5.1, compasses pint towards the spawn again. But then again, I haven't checked to see what's disabled in the BTWConfig file.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Spoiler
Show
WeedFather wrote:True. I HAVE been using smart moving, and still can, but I think SmartMoving with MCPatcher with BTW is just impossible now, which is cool because 1.5.1 has built-in HD and animations support. Besides enabling HD support, there's not really anything in MCPatcher that I care about; just some things I would prefer to have.

So far, I've tried using McPatcher with SmartMoving and BTW, in which there is a conflict between BTW and PLayerAPI for SmartMoving, and every time, there's invisible chunks and terrain all around.

I have a jar file with BTW, PlayerAPI, and SmartMoving installed, and everything (from what I can tell), work fine. I know there's a compatibility issue between SmartMoving and PlayerAPI that messes with compasses, but compasses are useless most of the time anyways, and ever since 1.5.1, compasses pint towards the spawn again. But then again, I haven't checked to see what's disabled in the BTWConfig file.
This is a somewhat common issue. PlayerAPI and BTW are NOT in any way compatible: they both modify the EntityPlayerSP and EntityPlayerMP class files to a significant degree. In the last few releases, the two have been conflicting more and more, especially with the introduction of hardcore hunger and other such player-related changes.

Usually, the black screen "of death" is caused by a failure to delete the META-INF file, but here I think it is likely the conflict with the PlayerAPI. MCPatcher is generally compatible with BTW, so I do not think that is your issue. My thought is that it depends on the order of installation. Installing PlayerAPI after BTW will likely work, but with extremely buggy and possibly unplayable results.

My suggestion is to start with a clean jar and install Modloader followed by BTW either manually or using MCPatcher. Avoid PlayerAPI, as this is just asking for incompatibility troubles. You seem to have other mods installed also (at least according to the crash log), and I am not sure what effect these are having on the whole matter.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

So, finally trying to update to the latest version (I've been several versions out of date for... quite a while...) and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get MCPatcher to work with the new launcher.

What I've done:

1)Download new launcher (My first mistake, it seems...)
2)Copy 1.5.2 folder in versions, rename to BTW
3)Rename jar and json files (and id inside json file) to BTW
4)Download latest MCPatcher for 1.5.2 (3.0.4_02)
5)Tell MCPatcher to use versions/btw/btw.jar as its base file
6)Download latest BTW (4.88) and add to MCPatcher mods list
6.2)Yes, I added the minecraft_jar subfolder, not the whole zip file
7)Click "patch"
8)Create a new profile in the new launcher that is set to the "btw" version
9)Run minecraft... and notice that I'm running vanilla 1.5.2, no BTW

So.... what have I done wrong? I can't find any tutorials or instructions on how to use MCPatcher with the new launcher, except a note saying that its compatible...

EDIT: Found a solution but it seems hackneyed. Basically I created a copy of the (unpatched) btw.jar and renamed it originalbtw.jar. I then set MCPatcher to use originalbtw.jar as its input and btw.jar as its output. Things now work.

Good LORD the new launcher stupidly complicates things.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Just tried MaxAstro's way, got blocked at the MCPatcher startup, being unable to locate the .minecraft folder.
Think it's because it's a 1.6 fresh install, with different files from an upgraded-from-1.5.2 install. I'm running this from my work laptop.

Solution:
Go to Minecraft's site, downloads page.
At the bottom, There's a DL for the old launcher, for all the people who can't use the new one.
DL it, run and log in. The thing should start "updating" and getting all the old version files.
Run MCPatcher. Add BTW and Add-ons.
Run MC(Old Launcher). Enjoy BTW.

Just did this, seems to be working.