What makes a good suggestion or idea.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Panda

What makes a good suggestion or idea.

Post by Panda »

Well looking at the suggestion and ideas section i noticed something: Its got more locks than a Lady GaGa costume...

So i was hopeing maybe some more seasoned btw community members could give some suggestions for how to give your suggestions.

My personal observation: don't suggest blocks, its Fc's mod, he probably wants to make his own blocks and not hear half baked ideas.

Instead try suggesting technical tweaks that improve functionality like from previous example; dog tilt heads when hungry. this provides a feedback solution.

Panda.
Never say no to Panda.
Gilberreke

Re: What makes a good suggestion or idea.

Post by Gilberreke »

Quoted from previous topic:

What FC is really looking for is novel game mechanics. The first user suggested block to make it in the mod was a hibachi. The user suggested that what MC is lacking is a way to turn fire on/off. This was a huge hit, as you can see it being a vital part of the mod. Most of those "obvious", but brilliant suggestions are already suggested though, so what you are looking for is a radical new way of working inside Minecraft.

For example, the original thought that we can craft items in the cauldron. Combining regular crafting with furnace like behavior is pretty simple, yet awesome. After that, FC added stoking to make tiered cooking, which he wouldn't have liked as a suggestion, since it's trivial to come up with. The mechanically powered bellows that stokes the fire, on the other hand, is another nifty item with possible future uses, since it blows air. So far, none have been found that would really work though.

A final option for suggestions, which is something the Turtles usually stick to, is small additions that don't take much time. These either slipped under FC's radar or they come from play-testing the mod. I requested hand-cranks on top of machines, since I noticed I frequently wanted to do that. Later I saw in Renevo's stream that he wanted to do it too. Playing the mod revealed a minor lack, someone posts about it, FC implements it. Similarly, users making big builds regularly suggest efficiency recipes when they notice certain items are pretty unbalanced if you have to make them in large quantities. Again, these tend to be implemented, since they are easy to do, and again, they come from extended play-testing.

I hope this is a good post to explain which requests are most likely to be helpful. That said, FC indicated in the past that he is not necessarily against discussing potential "cool things", as long as everyone understands that he is not going to read these threads or actually implement them. If something useful does come out of it, a Turtle will post the thread in the "golden feature thread" to indicate that the thread evolved beyond a user discussion into meaningful ideas.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Panda

Post by Panda »

So glad we can count on you Gil. C:
Never say no to Panda.
Rasuth

Post by Rasuth »

Another thing that is most likely to be frowned upon (depress FC) is suggesting something that involves a block/ concept/ idea just added to the mod.

Chances are high, FC already thought of it while implementing the "first iteration" and has more plans for it.
TaterBoy wrote:Well, now I know. And as GI-Joe says, knowing is half the battle. :)
The other half is violence.
Unless you're GI Socrates. Then the other half is "You don't know anything
- TheAnarchitect
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Tbh...What I think we need is a list of 'approved ideas' - a thread for ideas that have been denied is bad and discourages the use of the search button, but a list of successful ideas that /have/ been implemented could possibly help guide people.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Stormweaver wrote:Tbh...What I think we need is a list of 'approved ideas' - a thread for ideas that have been denied is bad and discourages the use of the search button, but a list of successful ideas that /have/ been implemented could possibly help guide people.
True that i just feel so bad for FC... soo many locks.... started this so maybe people would think befor they post and it would help him out.
Never say no to Panda.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

I am mostly a lurcker so I basicly dont post almost no sugestions (and almost no posts).
The topic with accepted sugestions seems rather interesting and a darn good idea!
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I disagree. I think that would only encourage people to suggest more. I'd rather people were under the impression that frivolous suggestions were the fastest way to get banned, next to update posting. I want people making suggestions to fear the process. Perhaps some sort of pilgrimage, or 3 trials they have to pass. Perhaps they need to bring Flowerchild the eye of the Wicked Witch of the West.

And sorting what's a suggestion that made it into the game from features that were put in the game or were planned to be in from the beginnning, that people happened to suggest, is difficult. Also, the features that weren't seriously suggested but were added as a joke. What counts as a successful suggestion?

As I understand it, the suggestion board is a honey trap to begin with, to keep the frivolity and banhammer targets all in one place.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
rhacer

Post by rhacer »

This would all be avoided if people learned the art of listening before they open their mouths.
duartemad

Post by duartemad »

TheAnarchitect wrote:I disagree. I think that would only encourage people to suggest more. I'd rather people were under the impression that frivolous suggestions were the fastest way to get banned, next to update posting. I want people making suggestions to fear the process. Perhaps some sort of pilgrimage, or 3 trials they have to pass. Perhaps they need to bring Flowerchild the eye of the Wicked Witch of the West.

And sorting what's a suggestion that made it into the game from features that were put in the game or were planned to be in from the beginnning, that people happened to suggest, is difficult. Also, the features that weren't seriously suggested but were added as a joke. What counts as a successful suggestion?

As I understand it, the suggestion board is a honey trap to begin with, to keep the frivolity and banhammer targets all in one place.
Good point with that.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ph1il93 wrote:and it seems 1.4.6 is comming.
Excuse me for a moment while I say:

Fuck.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Stormweaver wrote:Tbh...What I think we need is a list of 'approved ideas' - a thread for ideas that have been denied is bad and discourages the use of the search button, but a list of successful ideas that /have/ been implemented could possibly help guide people.
Reading through the golden features thread and seeing the responses to them there is a good idea. It's a sort of distilled experience.
Better is the enemy of Good
TaterBoy

Post by TaterBoy »

Take me as an example...Probably a few times a day I start to pull together some ideas to make a suggestion, but instead of posting it I really think about it; keeping first of all the advice that all suggestions should go with the established MO of the mod. Then I will quickly give my etch-a-sketch a shake and just go back to playing. From all the locked threads I've looked through it seems like many of them are people effectively asking FC to Mod his Mod (change it from what it is to something else.)

I'm sure someday I may have the level of experience with this mod that would allow me to come up with one of those 'thinking outside the box without putting said box through a shredder' ideas...But for now I am content to enjoy the mod and look forward to the updates.
Cthulhu for President: It's not the right choice, it's the only choice.