That's what I call a nice paycheck

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Poppycocks

That's what I call a nice paycheck

Post by Poppycocks »

Apparently Notch has spread his dividends between Mojang employees. The sum approximates at about 3 million USD.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Poppycocks on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stormweaver

Re: That's what I call a nice paycheck

Post by Stormweaver »

Good for them?
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Stormweaver wrote:Good for them?
I guess so :D.

I personally am happy for them if a little bit envious :).

Then again, if there's that much revenue it probably means that the money's being used somewhat inefficiently.

It's just that when I saw it was like: "Wow, that's big news, I wonder what others think about this."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

"Fuck me".
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

There is of course something more important than money ^^
Thats what i think
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

at some point they should give money to the real developers the mod author's with out them Minecraft would never have made it out of beta.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Poppycocks wrote: Then again, if there's that much revenue it probably means that the money's being used somewhat inefficiently.
Jeb helping to pay for Psychonauts 3?
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
Heh, now there's a fine sentiment!
Donzaffi wrote:There is of course something more important than money ^^
Thats what i think
Kinda, sorta, perhaps. Fact of the matter is that nothing is free. The girl you love? Which loves you as well? Doesn't want to live like a hobo, you can take my word on that.

Essentially, you've got my leave to give me your money if you care so little for it.

I'm not saying I'm making my life all about it. I don't even think about it unless I really have to. But it is quite fucking important my man.
BigShinyToys wrote:at some point they should give money to the real developers the mod author's with out them Minecraft would never have made it out of beta.
This. A bit of a pipe dream, but still sounds good. I just wish they finished with the API and opened up a mod market. Officially.

This coupled with an official patcher which'd be the only spot where you could download mods, and even then only if you've bought MC, would increase the revenue up to the (new) sky limit. This would also create a nice way of controlling illegal modpacks.
itamarcu wrote:
Poppycocks wrote: Then again, if there's that much revenue it probably means that the money's being used somewhat inefficiently.
Jeb helping to pay for Psychonauts 3?
3? O_o
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Way I see it was that Minecraft was somewhat of a lottery win in the first place; if you've won a lottery, gaining a vast sum of money is to be expected really.

Now what with jeb getting married and possessing a large sum of money...I suppose we're either going to see a burst of inspired motivation, or a collection of holidays much resembling notch's work timetable back in the day.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Poppycocks wrote: Heh, now there's a fine sentiment!
Donzaffi wrote:There is of course something more important than money ^^
Thats what i think
Kinda, sorta, perhaps. Fact of the matter is that nothing is free. The girl you love? Which loves you as well? Doesn't want to live like a hobo, you can take my word on that.

Essentially, you've got my leave to give me your money if you care so little for it.

I'm not saying I'm making my life all about it. I don't even think about it unless I really have to. But it is quite fucking important my man.
You missunderstood me dude ;)

My money is reinvested in my work ^^ I work get money and with the money i buy things i need to work.
I simply want to say damned society is all about the money but there are still people that don't care and work wihtout getting money, Like the Mod Community in all the games they make mods for free ;)
Okay Ubisoft tend to steal mods and updating games with it without paying the modders but thats my whole point.

And its true nothing is free i studied economics 5 years at university but want to say there are other ways to live with money, but without making money that most important.

SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I think Notch is very generous, it's really cool to see money hasn't turned him into an arrogant prick yet.

But it would be nice if he'd hire some more programmers and developers for minecraft. And a web developer. What game has 20mil players and only 3 people working on it? And what company of this popular game has a website that looks like any 15yr old could make?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

BigShinyToys wrote:at some point they should give money to the real developers the mod author's with out them Minecraft would never have made it out of beta.
Really? Oh come on. Even if MC wasn't moddable, he would still have gotten 98% of the revenue. There's probably only 20% of the players actually using mods at all.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I'd say it's some youtubers that got MC off the ground.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Notch came into enough money that he's set for life. In fact, he's got so much he can set other people for life too. Most people who get that rich get that way because they love making money. So much so that they continue making money well past the point where they don't need any more. I'm all for people doing what they love but it would be nice if they left some for the rest of us. Notch, however, doesn't love collecting money. So instead he's spreading the wealth around so others have enough. Enough for what? Enough that they can spend their lives doing what they love without worrying about whether it's profitable. Which Hopefully means we'll get some great labors of love out of Mojang.

Alternately, the lack of a profit motive will mean nothing gets done. But I don't think that's how motivation really works. Is it, FC?
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I would mention that it's only around 120,000$ dollars a piece guys, and that's before tax (which will probably be killer). While it's certainly nice to receive what probably amounts to a couple of years worth of wages for many of the employees as a bonus, nobody has gotten rich off of this or will be funding development of games with it.

I think it was an incredibly generous gesture on Notch's part, and I'd definitely want to have his ass-babies if I was working there, but don't blow the actual monetary sum out of proportion. Divided amongst 25 people, it's not an insane amount of cash.
Catox

Post by Catox »

If think I could live close to 10 years without needing to work if I had 120,000 dollars.
Make it 5 years and I could even hire someone to clean up my house regularly.
*__*
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

You either live in one of the poorer sections of the world, or you don't know what things cost.

One of the two.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Catox wrote:If think I could live close to 10 years without needing to work if I had 120,000 dollars.
*__*
No, not really in ten years the Dollar will lost more and more of his value ;)
then there is oil that increase in prices every year ;)

Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Catox wrote:If think I could live close to 10 years without needing to work if I had 120,000 dollars.
*__*
Or you could invest that sum of money wisely, work hard with it - make it work hard for you and set yourself up for a very comfortable life!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Or make a fire and burn it :D

Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

Donzaffi wrote:Or make a fire and burn it :D
are you a joker fan by any chance?
And HOW!
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:
Only in the Dark Knight .... and i don't trust banks ;)

Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

Donzaffi wrote:
Gargantuan_Penguin wrote:
Only in the Dark Knight .... and i don't trust banks ;)
not to derail this thread any further, but have you ever heard of the jokerblogs? it's a youtube series. very well done and has essentially the same joker as dark knight.

back on topic. if I had 120,000 dollars I would most likely start a restaurant. thats been one of those dreams that lurk in the back of my mind and never come to fruition :p
And HOW!
Catox

Post by Catox »

morvelaira wrote:You either live in one of the poorer sections of the world, or you don't know what things cost.

One of the two.
I didn't say "close to" for nothing, but yes, I tend to put dollars and euros value closer to what they are.
Yet...
757 euros a month, for one person... It probably is close to the strict minimum necessary to live in France, in a small village, eating pasta every day and never going to cinema.
Now double that and I'm pretty sure you can have 5 nice years.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Catox wrote: I didn't say "close to" for nothing, but yes, I tend to put dollars and euros value closer to what they are.
Yet...
757 euros a month, for one person... It probably is close to the strict minimum necessary to live in France, in a small village, eating pasta every day and never going to cinema.
Now double that and I'm pretty sure you can have 5 nice years.
Sure, but it's all relative to what you're used to making. Generally, the more you make, the more you spend.

60K a year is certainly not an exceptional salary for a programmer with a few years experience.