Skyblock

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
joetalbot1

Skyblock

Post by joetalbot1 »

Has anyone seen this?

I've tried it, and it's fun.
Bucket list:
Visit Antarctica. check
Nearly cause a flame war over MLP. check
Cost Flowerchild some sanity. check
Say,"I've seen everything, now to die." why would I?
Folrig

Re: Skyblock

Post by Folrig »

I started the L-shaped one last night. I think it's brilliantly clever.

I just feel like I spend all my time at the cobblestone factory. What I wouldn't give for 25 pieces of redstone dust and a BD.
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Got to the point where I had mined out all the dirt, then got bored because you need a shitton of cobblestone to get some room to place your farms on. Also, as soon as you have those, there really isn't that much you can possibly do, except for making mobtraps in a hideously convoluted manner. It might be interesting to make a BTW version of this.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

ilovekintoki wrote:Got to the point where I had mined out all the dirt, then got bored because you need a shitton of cobblestone to get some room to place your farms on. Also, as soon as you have those, there really isn't that much you can possibly do, except for making mobtraps in a hideously convoluted manner. It might be interesting to make a BTW version of this.
The lack of iron would be a pain in the ass though. Not to mention the severe lack of nether transportation >.<
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Can't you just generate enough cobble to make a bridge to the edge of the pre-generated level and win? Or is that against the rules? lol
Haidaes

Post by Haidaes »

The basic idea is quite interesting, but as soon as you want to expand beyond simple stone and wooden structures its just boring. The lack of redstone, diamonds and iron prevents me from enjoying it to the fullest tbh. Thats where the classic island challenges are alot more interesting.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Perhaps play it with EE and edit yourself a few pieces of redstone and glowstone in? Might make it doable.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Weird. I found it quite interesting. And very chalenging, which is the point.
It's not made to be played as everything else, or more than a few hours.
So, yeah, I like it, and played it only 1 hour so far, but it's fun.
Just try to finish the 20 objectives. After that, do something else ^^
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Stormweaver wrote:Perhaps play it with EE and edit yourself a few pieces of redstone and glowstone in? Might make it doable.
Or a single philosopher stone?

You can make a stone with four pieces of coal, an egg and four ender pearls too. If it works with charcoal, potentially starting with a single egg would be cool.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Gilberreke wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:Perhaps play it with EE and edit yourself a few pieces of redstone and glowstone in? Might make it doable.
Or a single philosopher stone?

You can make a stone with four pieces of coal, an egg and four ender pearls too. If it works with charcoal, potentially starting with a single egg would be cool.
hmm, if it does work with charcoal you could even skip the egg, and get one from a passive mob farm. You'd have already build a hostile mobs farm by this point, so it wouldn't be difficult.

If anyone can confirm it works with charcoal, we might have just leveled-up this map a little.

EDIT: just realised ender pearls means 1.8, which means rare/no passive mob spawning. i'm an idiot.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

yeah, no passive mobs, so you need the single egg. I'm not sure about the charcoal thing, I never used EE. I'll try it out right now I guess
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Charcoal works.

I'm thinking of doing a Skyblock/utopia crossover journal thingy now. Just fiddling around with the mod installation, and going to find out if there's anything other than the egg i'll need to have added in at the beginning. Then I'll decide on my narrative and...hopefully I won't get bored of the whole concept before actually posting anything >.<

This could be fun.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Stormweaver wrote:Charcoal works.

I'm thinking of doing a Skyblock/utopia crossover journal thingy now. Just fiddling around with the mod installation, and going to find out if there's anything other than the egg i'll need to have added in at the beginning. Then I'll decide on my narrative and...hopefully I won't get bored of the whole concept before actually posting anything >.<

This could be fun.
We were discussing in IRC that an SMP skyblock game would be tons of fun. Each player can only build in one chunk, when you spawn in the world, each player gets a chunk with a skyblock. You build towards each other and trade would be available. To make it worth playing, you'd need EE in SMP too, which is not possible for now.

In any case, might be something fun in the future.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

That sounds brilliant.

Limiting a player to a single chunk seems a little bit much - 16x16 isn't a whole lot of space - but each player having a limited space to build on, with no mining (no stealth either) would be crazy fun.

Be good on a pvp server as well - after all, it's a bit hard to attack someones base in a stealthy way when there's nothing but air in every direction for a few chunks.
DocLazy

Post by DocLazy »

Fun map but creepers exploding after being hit by a skelly is a nightmare. I know it's easy to fix by building a mob farm. However, all the drops they produce would ruin the challenge.