New Release! (BTW V4.A8 Milks A Tossing) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.A8 Milks A Tossing) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.A8 Milks A Tossing of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added a config file setting that allows you to specify a URL which the game will use to fetch player skins. This was necessary because Mojang deactivated the skin server for earlier versions of Minecraft. Alternative URLs can be found on the BTW forums.

-Added decay to zombie villagers. Note that this takes place regardless of whether the chunks they are in are loaded or not, making trapping them to cure at a later date an ineffective strategy.

-Changed Soul Flux to be used to increase the potency of potions rather than Brimstone as the recent changes to filtering glowstone into Brimstone caused these potions to revert to earlier in the tech progression than intended.

-Changed ladders so that they can be attached to the back of siding blocks.

-Changed Unfired Pottery, and other related blocks (like dough), so that they can be placed on glass blocks.

-Changed (refactored) the way stair blocks work internally to make them more consistent with other blocks. You can now stick stuff (torches, ladders, etc) to their full sides, they have a slightly more accurate collision voume when their shape changes due to neighboring blocks, and snow can now accumulate on them when they're upside down.

-Changed (refactored) some code internally that handles how blocks attach to others, and which blocks can contain Hardcore Packing. There should be no noticeable changes from this, except perhaps a few more blocks that function in those contexts.

-Changed the Dead Weight (vanilla anvil) to return more iron when melted down in the Crucible.

-Fixed an issue where the lighting on smoothstone stairs, wasn't consistent with other stair blocks.

Rotisserie!

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.A8 Milks A Tossing) - NO SPOILERS

Post by Sarudak »

Hey man awesome release. Just wondering but why don't you like the idea of people trapping zombie villagers to cure later? It seems like that's exactly what you incentivised with the way you made the previous changes.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Hey man awesome release. Just wondering but why don't you like the idea of people trapping zombie villagers to cure later? It seems like that's exactly what you incentivised with the way you made the previous changes.
I don't want to get into too many details on the design intent here for spoiler purposes, but long term trapping was never the intent. I just wanted to put some more thought into it, and see how it behaved out in the wild, before implementing the downsides to it.

I can give a fuller explanation in the spoiler thread if you're interested.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:I can give a fuller explanation in the spoiler thread if you're interested.
Dude. Getting into your brain on game design is possibly one of the most interesting things to me ever.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: Dude. Getting into your brain on game design is possibly one of the most interesting things to me ever.
Awwww... shucks :)
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Woooooo new update! Man, villager decay is exciting, can't wait to (hopefully not) see it in action! Also, thanks loads for the skin fix, works like a charm!
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheGatesofLogic wrote:Also, thanks loads for the skin fix, works like a charm!
Glad to hear it! I have limited SMP testing ability, so I'm always happy to know that such changes are working well in the wild :)
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Yeah, people on my server have been aching over it since mojang discontinued the old system. We all really really appreciate it!
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Glad to see the skin fixes. It's a pretty minor thing but cool to see, even as an SP player. Also decay on villagers sounds interesting. I haven't gotten to villagers in my current playthrough yet so I'm still looking forward to all the new changes to that system.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

My goodness! He's updating so fast now. I still haven't even gotten to really play the last three updates!
Nice work FC! I'm finally getting to play all these updates right now and its gonna be like jerking off three times all at the same time :D
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

Awesome low level changes! It may be a while before I have time to sample them, though, still recovering from a head full of mucus. Let's pray the snakes don't come after me too :)
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
LannyRipple

Post by LannyRipple »

My wife and kids were *really* bummed about the loss of skins. Which now means i have to bring in the pumpkin changes. Curse you, FC! :) [Be sure and check your paypal inbox for a material example of my resentment. My kids are growing up and the parents are getting boring but I can always hook em in with some BTW play.]
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

LannyRipple wrote:My kids are growing up and the parents are getting boring but I can always hook em in with some BTW play.]
Hehehe... that's awesome man. That's the first example I've heard of a whole family playing to mod together. Too cool, and thanks! :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

My wife plays with me. Technically that's the whole family :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:My wife plays with me. Technically that's the whole family :D
Hehe, yeah, I was looking for the right term for "spouse + kids" when I wrote the above. "Nuclear family" was the best I came up with, but I decided that just sounded way too hazmat suity :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Hmmm... I have a pro-nuclear family... Does that count?