BTW Beginner's guide on Wiki (Help needed)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

BTW Beginner's guide on Wiki (Help needed)

Post by Mason11987 »

So I (like many others) just started a new world, and I found the beginner's guide on the wiki, and while it's great, it was last edited in 2014, so there have been some substantial changes. I thought it would be helpful if we could come together and update it:

http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?tit ... %27s_Guide

While my first hemp farm grows I'm going to start reviewing all the changelogs since the last big edits to this, as those definitely weren't incorporated. But please feel free to make any fixes you notice, and bring up anything you think is wrong, but you're not sure how to improve it (for example it advises to get wolves, and forget about them, which we know isn't a good idea anymore).

Hopefully with a bit of effort this could be a slightly softer way to get some people into the mod that may be hesitant or may be having some difficulties.
dawnraider

Re: BTW Beginner's guide on Wiki (Help needed)

Post by dawnraider »

On my quick skimming, I noticed that the anvil recipe has not been updated. And since steel has been moved significantly back in the tech tree, it is missing a lot between pottery and steel, including completely lacking anything about villagers. There's also nothing after getting steel initially, with a note that says "Rest to be completed later".

I'd fix it myself but I don't have a wiki account and registration is not open.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, same in that I couldn't register, but spotted an edit I wanted to make:

I noticed in the fishing section of the beginner guide that there's no mention of depth of water being a factor. Probably good to put a brief note in there given that's a big difference from vanilla that would likely confuse a beginner BTW player if they try to fish in a puddle.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

I've added some pages on the wiki for the new items introduced this update. I also added a note about pond size for fishing and changed the anvil recipe in the beginner's guide, although the section really has to be rewritten because it still talks about using steel to create an anvil.

If anyone has any contributions or minor changes but lacks an account on the wiki, feel free to post here or PM me and I can add it. I think Sargunster disabled account creation at some point due to the wiki getting overrun by spambots, so you would have to get ahold of him in order to make an account. (As an aside, FC, it looks like you actually do have a wiki account, albeit one that's never been used http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?tit ... roup=sysop)
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

gaga654 wrote:If anyone has any contributions or minor changes but lacks an account on the wiki, feel free to post here or PM me and I can add it.
Under "Sustainable food," it mentions that mushroom farming "does not require light" (paraphrased.) This could be misleading, whereas I suggest that a more helpful edit would be to specify first, that brown mushrooms are only found in deep-strata in pitch-dark locations; red shrooms are poisonous but are worth storing samples of for later use if possible; brown shrooms must be farmed in either mycelium (a later-game item) or entirely pitch black farming conditions; and red shrooms can be farmed with light present. Not requiring dirt or water (or anything else, really, other than space and a LOT of time) is good to keep.

I'd suggest adding after cow-milk that pigs can only be herded / baited with wheat (late-game item) or chocolate (which requires milk, cocoa, and cauldron.) I suggest an asterisk-tip that pre-nether chocolate can be made on a very limited basis (such as storing a mating pair of pigs for future breeding to protect them from going locally extinct) by burning any flammable material, such as a log, underneath a cauldron for long enough to produce a small quantity of chocolate for pig-baiting purposes.

On the item of baiting animals, note that it's important to build an enclosure that you bring them to, instead of trapping them in the wild by building around them, because of their non-vanilla reaction to block update changes. Perhaps a non-spoiler reference hinting at hardcore-hoofsies might be appropriate here as well. A special item here is that a captured cow / pair of cows will produce renewable milk as long as they have sunlit grass, and the same applies for sheep with shearing them for limited supplies of wool -- in other words, breeding is not technically required, as long as the player is willing to endure extremely slow renewal cycles between milkings / sheerings. Pigs can only be harvested for food items by killing them, however, which makes breeding a requirement.
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

I've updated the wiki and extensions to the latest version, enabled user registration, and switched to Google's fancy new captcha. Hopefully this time it keeps spammers out. If you notice any new spam, PM me as soon as you see it and I'll disable registration again as soon as I can.
Frantiq

Post by Frantiq »

I think a page is needed to describe the nether fortress and respawn point tracking effects of soul sand piles. I'll try to do it myself if I find the time.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Thanks Sargunster! Now that I'll be able to make an account I'll hop on later today and add a few things.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

I've locked down registration again due to a few spammers. In the future, if anyone wants an account to contribute to the wiki, feel free to PM me.