Chicken Coop ideas?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DinoDikslam

Chicken Coop ideas?

Post by DinoDikslam »

Hi guys so I just started a new world with some friends and found an abandoned village with 1 villager(score right!)

Well I finally made an iron hoe and got hemp seeds but I need a reliable food source and trapped 2 chickens that I could find.

What are some good ideas for a chicken coop to access without spiders getting to them and not having chickens escape?

Just want to see or read what you guys have done to get an idea

Thanks!
ko_teknik

Re: Chicken Coop ideas?

Post by ko_teknik »

you can make like that :

Glass is to prevent mobs from suffocating but it's extremly rare with others materials !

And if you have, you can use a cauldron just under chicken to collect eggs.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I would advise against quantum farms like that, they cause lag like nothing else.

Personally, I just make a big pit, throw them in there. Two deep, with a ladder only on the top block, so I can get in and out, but they can't. Then I upgrade to an unpowered hopper floor, so I can see which hoppers have eggs in them. Sometimes I make a water design to collect all the eggs in one hopper, but usually I don't bother.

Final step is an automated chicken farm, but I leave that for pretty late game usually, when I really need it for some reason.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
DinoDikslam

Post by DinoDikslam »

Gilberreke wrote:I would advise against quantum farms like that, they cause lag like nothing else.

Personally, I just make a big pit, throw them in there. Two deep, with a ladder only on the top block, so I can get in and out, but they can't. Then I upgrade to an unpowered hopper floor, so I can see which hoppers have eggs in them. Sometimes I make a water design to collect all the eggs in one hopper, but usually I don't bother.

Final step is an automated chicken farm, but I leave that for pretty late game usually, when I really need it for some reason.
So you would make more than 1 hopper if your not doing a water design and since I'm in early game I would just put a grate on each one to collect the eggs? and I assume to make it easier to right click them to see whats inside you would make another 2 deep layer undeath the hoppers?
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

[quote="Gilberreke"]I would advise against quantum farms like that, they cause lag like nothing else.

If you have only 10 - 20 maybe 30 chicken it would be fine no ? I never constated any lag ... maybe with more than 60 chicken i think.

To make hooper you need a saw and wind mill redstone ... Cauldron are the first auto - container you can get you can easily use it for the both cook and collect.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

DinoDikslam wrote:So you would make more than 1 hopper if your not doing a water design and since I'm in early game I would just put a grate on each one to collect the eggs? and I assume to make it easier to right click them to see whats inside you would make another 2 deep layer undeath the hoppers?
Yup, that's exactly how I do it. I do a lot of unpowered hopper designs like that, like I usually don't bother with water for my windmill, just 3x3 unpowered hoppers.
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

This is the first time I've encountered the term "quantum farm." Does it refer to anything more specific than just cramming too many animals into a footprint than would otherwise "fit"? And if so, what is it about their lag that makes it worse than the same headcount simply accommodated in a larger coop / pen / paddock?
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

MisterFister wrote:This is the first time I've encountered the term "quantum farm." Does it refer to anything more specific than just cramming too many animals into a footprint than would otherwise "fit"? And if so, what is it about their lag that makes it worse than the same headcount simply accommodated in a larger coop / pen / paddock?
Quantum farm generally describes cases where you have so many animals in one place you can't count how many there are. Lag is specifically caused by collisions between animals. Because of how that works (every animal colliding separately with every other animal), this lag is greater than exponential, meaning really really really bad.

Collisions happen once per tick, 20 ticks in a second, so:

2 animals = 40 collisions per second (cps)
3 animals = 120 cps
4 animals = 480 cps
5 animals = 2400 cps

20 chickens in one block like ko_teknik suggests?

2432902008176640000 x 20 collisions per second!

Now our CPUs are very very good at calculating stuff like this, but no engine can properly handle such amounts. In newer versions of Minecraft, animals will actually die if you put so many in the same space for this very reason.

The reason this is fixed with a larger coop is that not every chicken collides with every chicken, so the lag becomes linear. 20 chickens in a large coop will cause maybe 50 to 500 collisions per second. That's WAAAAAAAAAAAAY less.

EDIT: Note that I didn't actually check the code for this, I'm going by previous statements of others that collision is factorial. If someone knows better, please correct my calculations.
Last edited by Gilberreke on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

Well alrighty then. I ended up with a quantum capacity of cows in my cow paddock a few weeks ago, before I got sidetracked into a multiplayer session of Factorio (which I think of as essentially the same game as Minecraft, at least respecting the gameplay thought processes involved). I spent a few day cycles culling the herd and ended up with three remaining, but after a long underground build project, I emerged topside to discover all three dead, thereby causing me to regret having culled the herd to begin with.

I'd yet to venture outward to find a replacement mating pair before transitioning.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Katalliaan pointed out that it would be merely exponential, which grows less fast, but still very rapidly. At that rate, 20 chickens causes about 76,000 collisions per second.

A quick test by Anbaric indicates that 400 chickens will cause his FPS to halve, so maybe it's fine with a good computer?
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

By discussions on the IRC/Discord/Telegram, from the best of my knowledge it follows n(n-1), not n!. That'd give:

2 animals = 40 cps
3 animals = 120 cps
4 animals = 240 cps
5 animals = 400 cps
20 animals = 7600 cps

Not as bad as n! would be, but still not something you would want to put your computer through.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

Oh, indeed, my edit to my tangential rant didn't seem to take: My paddock was roughly 15x15, and it was fully "quantum" (quantized?) before I culled. Easily 250 head of cattle if not twice that. (Took so long because my method was to build a kill-closet off to the side and take handfuls at a time into the hopper-floored closet to make drop collection easier.

Vast and noticeable improvement in performance once they were gone. (Pretty beefy system, too. Pun unanticipated.)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

MisterFister wrote:Oh, indeed, my edit to my tangential rant didn't seem to take: My paddock was roughly 15x15, and it was fully "quantum" (quantized?) before I culled. Easily 250 head of cattle if not twice that. (Took so long because my method was to build a kill-closet off to the side and take handfuls at a time into the hopper-floored closet to make drop collection easier.

Vast and noticeable improvement in performance once they were gone. (Pretty beefy system, too. Pun unanticipated.)
Quantum means 1x1, 15x15 is quite large, though still pretty small for 250 cows.
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

n(n-1) for collisions as Katalliaan said makes more sense, the nth chicken adds n collisions/tick. So it slows down the computer a bit more, but not by much.

While n! would make (n-1) chickens perfectly fine... and the nth multiplies the calculations by n, suddenly your computer becomes a puddle of molten metal, plastic and despair.

On "safe numbers", two digits (50? 90?) should be fine in SP for most computers. It's still a really bad habit though - don't cram your cocks and eggs in a small confined space, enlarge your pen size instead.
--Who do you think you are, War?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

chaoticneutral wrote:So it slows down the computer a bit more, but not by much.
It's still exponential, that's still not a good idea.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

i never see any lag with 20 chicken, and if you are alone only 8 would by fine ...
Quantum farm generally describes cases where you have so many animals in one place you can't count how many there are.
you can easily count how many ... just see how many eggs you get ! Or how many seeds you feed ;)
Spoiler
Show
[EDIT] After some TEST
I have try,

0 chicken 1 X 1 :
Spoiler
Show
64 Chicken 1x 1 :
Spoiler
Show

And

0 chicken 15 x 15 :
Spoiler
Show
64 chicken 15 x 15 :
Spoiler
Show

Fps change a lot during the game i have try to take fps always with 1 chunck loaded and i have disabled vertical sync ... But almost time i get the same fps drop with 1 x 1 or 15 x 15 ... I think there are more than just mobs collision to calculate, maybe moving entity or i don't know ?

But yay i prefer largely my disign ... cheaper , tiny , fast and easy :p
Last edited by ko_teknik on Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DinoDikslam

Post by DinoDikslam »

Gilberreke wrote:
DinoDikslam wrote:So you would make more than 1 hopper if your not doing a water design and since I'm in early game I would just put a grate on each one to collect the eggs? and I assume to make it easier to right click them to see whats inside you would make another 2 deep layer undeath the hoppers?
Yup, that's exactly how I do it. I do a lot of unpowered hopper designs like that, like I usually don't bother with water for my windmill, just 3x3 unpowered hoppers.
oh awesome thanks! btw can you grow hemp underground but just the light source be the torches or does it need be the direct sunlight?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Hemp needs direct sunlight or light blocks two above the soil so the top hemp touches the light block. Any other artificial light and the plants will die. Light blocks are better than sunlight though because the plants won't grow at night if open to the sky.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

DinoDikslam wrote:btw can you grow hemp underground but just the light source be the torches or does it need be the direct sunlight?
The third possibility is a subterranean greenhouse with a roof of one or more glass blocks. Any other block, including any water block of any height, will prevent a hempseed from growing.