World height and mobfarming

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DiamondArms

World height and mobfarming

Post by DiamondArms »

So I've been watching a lot of vanilla MC playthroughs recently (the horror!) and a common theme for mobfarm design is how low in the world you should make them. Apparently, spawning rules apply in height subchunks of 16, so if you build a mobfarm below y=16 and clear any solid blocks between the mobfarm and the surface, it becomes more efficient. this becomes much more apparent when all other spawning spaces in range are removed.

After searching the forum and the vMC wiki, I can't find any information that would debunk this mechanic in 1.5.2. If this holds true, it affects the building of slime chunk farms and potentially even normal mobfarm designs. even without f3 information, digging down to bedrock and using that as a marker for y=4 or 5, farms within 10 blocks above that would be within the lowest subchunk. I'd like to ask around here if there is anyone that knows more about this.
kingcharlesiii

Re: World height and mobfarming

Post by kingcharlesiii »

Here's a wonderful video that details should answer any and all of your questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzNY3Zg ... e=youtu.be

Essentially, the way MC does spawning is based on the highest Y coordinate. If the highest block within your chunk radius is 120 units high, MC will try to spawn mobs at heights 120 and below.

So for example, if your highest block in your entire radius is only 30 high, MC will only try to spawn mobs at heights 30 and below. Since there are far fewer total possible blocks below 30 than there are below 120, MC will both have a higher success rate of spawning mobs and try to spawn mobs more frequently at this below 30 level. To make the most efficient mob trap, you want to build it with the lowest Y coordinate possible.

Now while this sounds nice, its a bit impractical in the overworld. Having your highest block in you entire chunk radius be anything below ~100 would involve a ludicrous amount of work. Just don't build your mobtrap too high.

This information is useful in the end though.
magikeh

Re: World height and mobfarming

Post by magikeh »

kingcharlesiii wrote: Having your highest block in you entire chunk radius be anything below ~100 would involve a ludicrous amount of work. Just don't build your mobtrap too high.

This information is useful in the end though.
:D Remember kids, sea level is 64 and hatsies don't count towards the baddies mob limit.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO