Farming: Dung, Blazes, and monsters in general.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Ramzax

Farming: Dung, Blazes, and monsters in general.

Post by Ramzax »

Hey guys, I currently have a single player world where I have a dirt fort surrounding my garden, on the border of some plains, a river, and a small section of desert biome. I have just acquired my windmill, but I am having some difficulty setting up a efficient blaze farming room, and well as a decent way of keeping my few wolves happy, being as if they are not actively and regularly fed, they go hostile. Also I am not entirely sure of what is the best method of making a mob farm, and I would appreciate any help possible on how to build an effective one.

So to recap:
How to best build a blaze farm
How to best build a dung farm
How to best build a mob farm - being able to also kill endermen is great too.

Thanks ahead of time.
Taleric

Re: Farming: Dung, Blazes, and monsters in general.

Post by Taleric »

Most of the basic old school vanilla grinders work starting out.

Mid to late game there are many BTW specific blocks for killing, using water to route and then blocks for sorting and finally manipulating xp.

Figuring out systems is most of the fun.

Icy, Viokki and other LPers have great videos on the subject if you get stuck.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

One thing to note for blaze farms, nether mobs (including blazes) can only spawn on netherrack/netherbrick, so vanilla setups for those don't work.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

A blaze spawner inside nether fortress would by fine to farm !
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

DiamondArms wrote:One thing to note for blaze farms, nether mobs (including blazes) can only spawn on netherrack/netherbrick, so vanilla setups for those don't work.
ko_teknik wrote:A blaze spawner inside nether fortress would by fine to farm !
Sorry, should have made that clearer. The spawning conditions apply to spawner blazes as well. you'd need to have netherblocks around your blaze spawner to allow it to spawn blazes. getting them off the spawning pads is the amusing part.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

But water can't flow in the nether, so what are your guys creative ways of getting blazes and other mobs to be swept into a killing machine in the nether? Pistons is one answer, but pistons are incredibly expensive if you're trying to build a large scale farm.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

with blaze spawner you can let mob fall and kill with piston...
For large scale mob trap you can use vinetrap like in overworl, or maybe use some rails and a cart and you stay afk inside cart to collect items.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Apparently blazes don't fly unless they see a player, so funnel rooms with vinetraps work. setting that up might take a few tries though. vinetraps burn.

With the above method, balancing spawning platforms and space to drop the blazes takes a bit of finicking around to get the ratio right. mine is hardly decent at this point.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

The answer to your question can actually be found in some of the older threads on this subject. I remember this being brought up several times over the years. That being said: to make an early blaze farm, find a spawner, reduce the spawning area to 2 blocks tall to prevent flight, and leave yourself a hole to hit the blazes by the entrance to the spawner room. The hole should be at head level, if it is, the blazes won't be able to hit you unless they're shooting at you from the other side of the room, which won't happen if you have them aggro'd. Early dung farms are kind of unnecessary, and tbh the only thing you ever need dung for in large quantities is breeding harnesses once you're making an auto-slaughterhouse, and maybe a dung beacon. In order to get enough for a saw and bellows, just stick your wolves in a dark room until you hear them growl, repeat until you have enough. Once you have a bellows, kibble is king for keeping your wolves fed, although I usually just grab one early on for my basic needs and then kill it afterwards, waiting until I have a basic mob farm up for kibble to tame another. As far as mob traps go, there's umpteen ways in which you could do it, and tbh there's already a ton of threads on mob traps, both early and late game. A little bit of searching on this forum will take you a long way, but I will tell you that you need to start farming vines the moment you get a saw, the vine traps are almost always the limiting factor on mob traps.

PS-killing enderman is impossible in any mob trap that uses water flow, and pistons are usually too expensive for all but late game traps. you may want to wait until you kill the enderdragon and just set up a dedicated end farm, not to mention the spawn rate for endermen relative to other mobs would mean very few enderman drops in an overworld farm no matter how you built it
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Rianaru wrote:PS-killing enderman is impossible in any mob trap that uses water flow, and pistons are usually too expensive for all but late game traps. you may want to wait until you kill the enderdragon and just set up a dedicated end farm, not to mention the spawn rate for endermen relative to other mobs would mean very few enderman drops in an overworld farm no matter how you built it
I digress. While incredibly irregular I have endermen dying in my trap. Yes the overall presence of endermen in the overworld is very high, they do die once in a while from the trap itself. My current setup is the classic spawn pads falling into water streams leading to a saw. For whatever reason some of the endermen don't teleport out of the water when taking damage (or they are teleporting a very close distance into the air?) But when they get to the saws they more often than not take the rest of the damage from them and I am collecting pearls in the loot collectors. But yes, in regards to drops I have gotten about 16 pearls and a double chest of zombie flesh. So don't get me wrong, the endermen rates are absolutely terribad right now, but they are not impossible.

Just some things I like to keep in mind when building a trap:
-Mob caps are a thing, for best efficiency spawn and kill as quickly as possible.
-You can either attempt to sort the mobs then kill, or kill mobs then split the loot.
-Lighting the surrounding land and caves will produce a noticeable increase in farm production.
-Vine traps are a valid pathing block for mob AI, filling in all spaces with vine traps isn't necessary. (I've yet to test if the pack spawning algorithm allows for spawns on vine traps or not)
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Mob cant spawn on vine trap , i found usefull to have enderman inside mob trap i will much more easy when you to change with villager.

9 piston are not too much expensive you can find some in jungle temple and craft somes ...
A falling hole 3 x 3 would be fine and push item with piston....

Look on this simple mob trap : https://youtu.be/gDg6l7hygos#t=50m10s

LannyRipple

Post by LannyRipple »

Blaze farm has been answered. To get started you only need a few rods so blocking up the spawner and hitting them in the knees with swords is all you'll need.

Dung farm you can do by hand if you pay attention to your dog. You can make it easier by putting him on hoppers so you don't have to worry about the dung despawning before you collect it. To automate check out how to make redstone clocks (http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Clock_circuit) to kick out some food from a dispenser without you having to be around.

For mob grinders flowing water is your friend. Here's the style I like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoPzBuy ... 1&index=36 but recently watching Mesh's Corner and his playthroughs have been good to see how to build about any desired size from a single water block. Those guys use saws but early on you can just have a long drop to kill the mobs.