Happy [Sorta] Conceptionversarry!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Dorugami

Happy [Sorta] Conceptionversarry!

Post by Dorugami »

I know it happened on the second, but I was indisposed the past few days and failed to post it.

Happy Conceptionversarry! [Or Something]

March 2nd marks the date where back in 2011, Notch happily announced the inclusion of Wolves into his game Minecraft.

This happy event was subsequently followed by Flowerchild's passionate retort and claim that the implementation of wolves would be both a bad game feature in terms of cost-effectiveness and become a massive waste of programming time...and that he, on his own, could prove this claim by making something that was both interesting and innovative while still retaining a good balance and mine-crafty feel.

And thus our beloved mod was born, only six blocks to its name but attracting a gaggle of like-minded individuals who were attracted to the prospect of exercising their ingenuity in the budding game.

In a span of just under three months, Flowerchild had effectively laid the foundation of what is now the Mechanical System, and had attracted passionate builders, one of their number being the famed Battosay - who challenged almost every conceivable build made possible by Flowerchild's new systems. He would be followed by many more attracted to the flashy Windmill and Watermill, some of who would fall in love with the brand new system of pulleys and rope and what have you.

Peaceful happy days abound, but were interrupted by the sudden publicity boom of the Yogcast feature, inviting unwelcome attention and subsequent near aneurysm of the old fa - I mean - our beloved mod author. Five hundred [or so] thousand viewers were suddenly made aware of the mod's existence - a great number of which were extremely needy children! They drove the thread to near stagnation, progress halted by the sheer volume of unreasonable [and mostly brain-dead] requests. A few days past and Better Than Wolves emerged battered, bruised, utterly frustrated...but standing firm amidst the tide...and sporting a growing OP [which to this day, many people will attest, remain unread]. This time also showed rise to the new BTW Wiki, founded by sargunster, who also provided FC with his own private forum where he could exercise his own brand discipline, and better filter the inane from the mundane.

Several more months pass, the growing player base of the mod was matched by the growing frequency of both the mod and Minecraft's updates. Official release came, and with it came many things. Over the past few updates, Flowerchild had seen both waste and potential in Notch and co.s additions - but something more pressing had reared its head. Modding had gained new steam, the frenzied influx encouraged by Mojang itself. The product was an API named Forge...something that aimed to grant pure authority and control of mods to the player-base. BTW had existed peacefully during this time, gaining thousands of users and several hundred passionate members. The increasing complexity of the mod was made apparent as more - ahem...users - were drawn to its flashier features and so demanded that they be included in their individual mod packs, completely ignoring the spirit of the mod, wishing to discard everything that made BTW what it was and is.

The cacophony of the masses reached is peak as Forge itself gained more and more supporters. Many modders were subsumed into Forge control, some subverted by the sheer pressure of a thousand screaming 'fans'. Flowerchild turned away from this, realizing that the growing complexity of his vision made incompatibility a very near inevitability. But the fans continued screaming their dissatisfaction, BTW was too well though out, too well designed to avoid their ravenous hunger for more content. LexManos took the public helm, and along with several other of like mind, turned the bottomless pit behind Forge's gaze in BTW's direction.

They were met with rejection.

At first, nothing came of it. No matter the screaming masses Flowerchild stood firm in his conviction that BTW existed best alone, and nothing could change his mind. However, something malicious occurred that stirred the cold cold heart that resided in the fortress of solitude located within his thoracic cavity. LexManos, determined to satisfy the multitude that clamored BTW in forge, appeared in seven hours of footage claiming he knew a person willing to duplicate Flowerchild's mod against his will, and showcased a rather incriminating video that not only showed plans, but intent. Seven hours that went against every principle the mod was based on, seven hours claiming to invalidate and spit upon a year and a half of hard work by one person. Flowerchild flew into a rage never seen before [think androgenic anabolic steroid overdose levels]. It did nothing for his image, but the situation called for drastic venting. The stream became more colorful, and several points were...more or less made apparent.

A call to arms was issued - its message simple. Defend the rights of modders or lose them entirely. Each side raised their opinions and brandished them, but as with any debate on the internet, it was simply an Olympics Where Everyone is Autistic. It was a heated week, and so were the days that followed. Logic and Rationality took Civility and tried to make a stand, but they were butt-f*cked into near oblivion in an orgy that spanned several thousand members taking turns to enact every sick fetish that has ever existed in the deepest corners of the internet.

The drama waned, as did the flames...and the idea lost steam. Better Than Forge, so tantalizing to the community at large, failed to surface in any playable form - and the countless majority [well they are zombies], eventually forgot about BTW...and set their sights on more receptive anuses.

BTW sunk back into selective obscurity, once again standing firm, but leaving many modders scarred [as well as a very valuable lesson on rabies], and adding several more lines to its OP.

The mod finally hit a brick near the end of the official 1.5.2 release. Flowerchild knew it would come eventually, and a line was drawn. Mojang had gone from releasing content, to releasing trivialities, and any useful feature they were scheduled to add only conflicted with Flowerchild's vision for the mod.

Flowerchild took his mod, paying one last homage to the game that rekindled his passion in game-design, and bid farewell. The mod exists in perpetual dependence to 1.5.2, and refuses to adopt any more of Mojang's updates up to this day.

Better Than Wolves continues to be updated today, with the mind behind it running through many many obstacles [and profanities], and has reached a state very close to completion. Flowerchild, still the Saguaro that he is, continues to share with us his brilliance [and also profanities].

Long Live ManBearPig
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Dorugami

Re: Happy [Sorta] Conceptionversarry!

Post by Dorugami »

It's a [sort of] history of the mod, as far back as I remember it - which was at the point where Flowerchild trolled everyone with Windmills [the earlier days I had to back read that 2000+ page long thread]. It's been five years of history for me, painful and fond. I say in no light terms that this is the only game that I still return to, and still smile at when I play, no matter what new Bioware game comes out [godammit Dragon Age and Mass Effect]. The only history I have with Flowerchild himself is a ban for an overenthusiastic thank-you for the mod, and several casual acknowledgements of my existence - but I treasure them nonetheless.

But as I love his creation, I love the creator. [@Flowerchild] I know you're an old sponge now man, but the second of March really is something I hold in great esteem, as much as I give to my first dog's death, so I hope you will allow me a bit of unreasonable sentimentality. It gave birth to your ideas, and your mod. And your mod in turn gave birth to my ideas, and served comfort on days when I felt too strung up to relax.

Not wanting to suck you off or anything, but yeah. Thanks.

I'm going back under my rock, cheers ye fkers.

EDIT: I fully acknowledge my lackluster writing skills. If I missed something [or rather misrepresent it] I apologize in advance 0_0

EDIT2: Sorta got sidetracked and forgot, but the main reason I put this up is to reminisce on how far the mod has gone with the community. Granted I was rarely part of the community, but I was always grateful to have the mod itself, and writing just takes me on a trip similar to reading a good book, so I figured, eh these guys could probably stand to suffer my horrid writing for a bit. XD
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I think I typically celebrate the mod's anniversary on April 9th, when the first version was released, and would have preferred to not dig up some of the darker aspect of the mod's history, but thanks just the same.

Will leave the thread open for now, but for everyone else, let's please not turn this into a relitigation of the past.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

With or without the past i love the mod and flowerchild too !
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

FlowerChild wrote:I think I typically celebrate the mod's anniversary on April 9th, when the first version was released, and would have preferred to not dig up some of the darker aspect of the mod's history, but thanks just the same.

Will leave the thread open for now, but for everyone else, let's please not turn this into a relitigation of the past.
Ah, apologies for that bit then. As for myself, I see the bad times as something that makes the good times seem all the more worth it, but I do understand the reason for your reservations so I'll drop it. It's been one hell of a ride so far - I'm looking forward to better times to come. Cheers!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dorugami wrote: Ah, apologies for that bit then. As for myself, I see the bad times as something that makes the good times seem all the more worth it

Considering I'm still harboring doubts as to whether this thread is an elaborate trolling attempt, we'll have to agree to disagree on that point :P
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Nothing but an over-enthusiastic tribute on my part - but I'll settle for managing to get an internal chuckle out of ya :) Although I must say it was influenced in part by the growing gap in interactivity within the community. Times were, I entertained myself with both the constructive and mundane, content with just reading witty retorts and epic builds that were thrown about with creative abandon.

This is just me missing the old times, please pay it no heed. There is no malice in me, and I would be ashamed if you took it as such. Although I am humbled you took the time to even reply, given your doubts. But I'm rambling now, I shall leave you to better expenditures of your time. *tips top hat*

EDIT: my avatar really wasn't doing me any favors was it...fixed that.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Does anyone remember the original six blocks of the mods? I check the changelog, version 1.0 is just Initial release. Through a brief reading I think Iron Pressure Plates, the Hibachi, Minecart Boosters, and the light block. I also don't see cement being added, so that must have been in initial, but it isn't a block? That still leaves 1 more by my count.

It's an impressive journey. But it's not over yet. I for one, am still looking forward to I don't know how many crazy version names (my favourite so far being "4.A1 Humped Camel") and hopefully the consistently creative sparks of game design that come with.

April 9th is next month, anyone be interested in doing some multiplayer on the occasion?
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

jakerman999 wrote:Does anyone remember the original six blocks of the mods? I check the changelog, version 1.0 is just Initial release. Through a brief reading I think Iron Pressure Plates, the Hibachi, Minecart Boosters, and the light block. I also don't see cement being added, so that must have been in initial, but it isn't a block? That still leaves 1 more by my count.

It's an impressive journey. But it's not over yet. I for one, am still looking forward to I don't know how many crazy version names (my favourite so far being "4.A1 Humped Camel") and hopefully the consistently creative sparks of game design that come with.

April 9th is next month, anyone be interested in doing some multiplayer on the occasion?
Here were the first six listed in the original discussion thread:
Flowerchild wrote:1) Photo-resistors (circuit elements that detect the presence of light and can change logic flow based on it).

2) Water/lava gates to control the flow of liquids for use in traps and such.

3) Fence gates. Block creatures in the same way as a fence, but can be opened and closed. Fences as they exist are a pain to use because there's no simple method for the player to enter/exit a fenced off area without building a multi-block door/gate (with overhanging ledges to prevent spiders from climbing it).

4) Powered lights. (glowstone + glass maybe?), so you can turn the lighting of an area on and off.

5) Lasers (glowstone + diamond?). Not as a weapon or for damaging creatures, but for display. In other words, power a laser and it projects a point of light on whatever surface it intersects at a distance. Could open up a whole realm of user-created displays. Could also be used in combination with photo-resistors to communicate a singnal over long distances without having to lay miles of redstone wire. Could also be used as "trip wires" in combination with photo-resistors. Could also be used to aid in contruction in marking the co-ordinates or boundaries of construction (like in building a large bridge and using a laser to mark its height at the other edge so the ends match up). Really, the possibilities for emergent gameplay are huge here.

6) Concrete Buckets (gravel + water bucket?): Flows like lava or water, but solidifies into a solid block with time. Might be cool if a redstone signal applied to a liquid block of conrete placed in the world kept that block in its liquid state until the signal turned off (concrete traps + syncronizing flow for mass simultaneous construction). Might also be cool if you could apply a dye to the concrete bucket to simplify construction of large colored objects.
IIRC, he did boosters rather than lasers, with the lenses being a later addition. These were just the first ideas, though, I can't remember if they were the first implemented.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote: IIRC, he did boosters rather than lasers, with the lenses being a later addition. These were just the first ideas, though, I can't remember if they were the first implemented.
I think those were just six off the top of my head ideas to get the conversation started. That list doesn't even include the Hibachi or light blocks, which I believe were the first two things I did:

Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

BinoAl wrote:Here were the first six listed in the original discussion thread:
Flowerchild wrote:1) Photo-resistors (circuit elements that detect the presence of light and can change logic flow based on it).

2) Water/lava gates to control the flow of liquids for use in traps and such.

3) Fence gates. Block creatures in the same way as a fence, but can be opened and closed. Fences as they exist are a pain to use because there's no simple method for the player to enter/exit a fenced off area without building a multi-block door/gate (with overhanging ledges to prevent spiders from climbing it).

4) Powered lights. (glowstone + glass maybe?), so you can turn the lighting of an area on and off.

5) Lasers (glowstone + diamond?). Not as a weapon or for damaging creatures, but for display. In other words, power a laser and it projects a point of light on whatever surface it intersects at a distance. Could open up a whole realm of user-created displays. Could also be used in combination with photo-resistors to communicate a singnal over long distances without having to lay miles of redstone wire. Could also be used as "trip wires" in combination with photo-resistors. Could also be used to aid in contruction in marking the co-ordinates or boundaries of construction (like in building a large bridge and using a laser to mark its height at the other edge so the ends match up). Really, the possibilities for emergent gameplay are huge here.

6) Concrete Buckets (gravel + water bucket?): Flows like lava or water, but solidifies into a solid block with time. Might be cool if a redstone signal applied to a liquid block of conrete placed in the world kept that block in its liquid state until the signal turned off (concrete traps + syncronizing flow for mass simultaneous construction). Might also be cool if you could apply a dye to the concrete bucket to simplify construction of large colored objects.
IIRC, he did boosters rather than lasers, with the lenses being a later addition. These were just the first ideas, though, I can't remember if they were the first implemented.
Well damn, I thought the first six were implemented blocks, not ideas. Guess that's a hidden bit of history for me right there. Although afaik the laser went through a lot of context changes from laser to focused redstone torch to the lens which teased everyone for the longest time before it finally got implemented.

The photosensitive block eventually became the detector block and the lava gates came from the dispenser block. My fondest memories were probably the early versions of concrete. Never really got to try it in that state, but the old videos of the killer cement tsunami were both horrifying and awesome. Thank god that never made it into SMP, but I kinda regret not being able to pour one myself from the top of an extreme hills biome XD
FlowerChild wrote:
BinoAl wrote: IIRC, he did boosters rather than lasers, with the lenses being a later addition. These were just the first ideas, though, I can't remember if they were the first implemented.
I think those were just six off the top of my head ideas to get the conversation started. That list doesn't even include the Hibachi or light blocks, which I believe were the first two things I did:

Say FC, out of curiosity, did you intentionally privatize your channel on YT? I was looking over the old posts for a bit of history and noticed most of your spotlights were 'unavailable'.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Dorugami wrote: Say FC, out of curiosity, did you intentionally privatize your channel on YT? I was looking over the old posts for a bit of history and noticed most of your spotlights were 'unavailable'.
Not the channel, but most videos. He did it once he started accepting donations, because he didn want to use copyrighted music to showcase the mod if he could make any money from it.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Niyu wrote:he didn want to use copyrighted music to showcase the mod if he could make any money from it.

Hot damn, I remember that now. I didn't think much of it at the time, but with a couple more years under my belt I realize that's the kind of integrity we need more of these days.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I still miss the old factory farming video. That thing was so epic.