[Timing rodent b] Revisiting beacon theory

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MisterFister

[Timing rodent b] Revisiting beacon theory

Post by MisterFister »

My gaming rig is borked and I am temporarily unable to play BTW. Instead, I am spelunking these forums and actually keeping a .txt log to myself of to-do lists when I return to my BTW glory. For example, I want to redesign my mechanical workshop room so that the layout isn't a jungle-gym of impassable gearboxes and axles with no ability to plunk down a conveniently placed work-chest for because of the redstone wiring rat's nest.

I am also reevaluating my terraforming intentions at my main OS base. With the changes to grass growth that gives premium value to surface-level real estate, even though I've always preferred to house subterranean animal farms with creeper-proofed blast shielding of what starts as cobble until my crucibles can allow me to remodel exclusively in stone brick (my favorite structural material, even when slabbing off to spawn-proof a netherfortress pre-groth) I now have to consider carefully how to place my large-volume-manual-harvest tree farm in my current SSP world where I only somewhat recently achieved crucible tech and harvested enough diamonds to have a full kit of all four diamond-tools equipped on my hotbar at the same time.

In considering way ahead toward beacon placement, it occurred to me to visit the original spoiler threads from back when beacons were newly implemented, the wiki pages on the subject, etc. Since the beacon-spoiler thread itself is not only locked, but the last post in it was FC rightly calling someone out for necroing after about 8 weeks, I'm posting my questions here.

As a general yes-no proposition to start, can we categorically say based on info directly from Overlord Flowerchild that the wiki's and other threads are known to be either complete, accurate, or both? The spoiler thread contained so much awesome-sounding flirtations of "you folks haven't scratched the surface yet" hinting and playful trolling that I'm not entirely sure. For example, previous to my current computer failure, I'd seen a handful of references to a Placenta-block beacon to impart fertility(?) that allowed for 4 chicks to hatch from a thrown chicken egg with 100% chance per throw. I have no clue how to obtain placenta blocks or placenta-material, though yet another mention made some kind of reference to piston placement with Hardcore Packing, or something.

And to be clear, I have a healthy sense of humor but am nevertheless somewhat easily trolled and gullible (a side effect of my autism, actually.)

I am neither explicitly pro-spoiler nor anti-spoiler. My joy and sense of accomplishment from playing BTW is harvesting a deep and abiding understanding of the game mechanics to create a fully terraformed Fortress of Automated Materials And Resource Stockpiling that is sensibly laid out, well organized, easily accessible and navigable even for someone who is a new visitor or an old visitor who hasn't logged in for months at a stretch and might be foggy on some finer details. Mastering and harnessing some OCD block-counting and symmetrical-placement concerns, such as with the geometric layouts of the sheep breeding and color-segregating system I have in mind to implement, is also part of my fun.

I will therefore neither demand that someone provide a spoiler that they themselves would prefer that I discover for myself, nor would I be unhappy if someone just dumped the info unceremoniously upon my plate for me to benefit from immediately. Further, nor will I insist on spoiler-splaining something to someone else when roles are reversed and I'm the visitor to a thread like this if it's communicated to me in a way that I can somewhat-autistically understand that they seek to avoid spoilers.

Are there not-yet-wiki-listed beacon types? Also, speaking specifically in recalling the orginal beacon spoiler thread, there was the overarching emphasis that all beacons have at least SOME drawback t them, however "subtle" it may have become. Given that the thread was only a few months old when it was locked, and the fact that BTW itself has continued to evolve since then whether on squashing bugs that would've prevented discovery or realization of some intended "drawbacks" on beacons, or even expansion of the beacon system entirely, I'm curious enough to post this thread and invite insights.
Note to FC and moderators:
Show
I don't know if necroing is something that creates a back-end hassle with respect to managing the forums themselves (eating up server space or something? I'm honestly ignorant to forum management) but my hope as the OP here with this thread is to leave it open for something of a long haul. I know that I myself oscillate between periods of high-traffic visiting / reading / lurking / posting here, offset by periods where my offline life prevents gaming and internetting in general, and I have to assume this holds true for other great minds in the BTW enclave as well. Indeed, my own recent observation here is that there's a handful of numerous pillars of the community who are active currently, and I hope to avail myself of the wisdom of people who might not find this thread until months down the line. (Aside: this is why I carry to these forums the convention I am familiar with from the Kerbal Space Program forums of indicating in the post title itself the mod version I'm working with, so that future archeological digs through previous forum threads can illuminate whether version changes might've rendered a question or answer moot.) For all of these rather long-winded reasons, my humble request is that future necros of this thread be tolerated AS LONG AS allowing that would not impose in some way that I might be ignorant to as someone who has never maintained or moderated a forum board.
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
dawnraider

Re: [Timing rodent b] Revisiting beacon theory

Post by dawnraider »

As far as beacons go, the wiki is pretty accurate. I've only dabbled in beacons, but from what I've seen the info on the wiki is correct. AFAIK blight is really the only drawback you'll ever get from beacons, and that's pretty easily manageable if you know how to prepare.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

dawnraider wrote:As far as beacons go, the wiki is pretty accurate. I've only dabbled in beacons, but from what I've seen the info on the wiki is correct. AFAIK blight is really the only drawback you'll ever get from beacons, and that's pretty easily manageable if you know how to prepare.
Does this mean that blight is a possibility with any beacon and not just a SFS beacon? I'm aware that Stage 1 Blight cannot traverse any full gap (whether the gap is filled with an airblock, a slab of some kind, or an intervening material full-block) and only propagates on the surface. I know that originally, Stage 4 Blight was required for groth, but that recipe no longer works and has been replaced by one that calls for mycelium. Is there ANY justification to cultivate S4B at this time, or potentially to be introduced in a future update? I'll still do it just for haha's and for 100%-completion-type satisfaction no matter what the answer is, of course.

I read a reference on the vMC forums many moons ago with people speculating if there were a beacon to render hunger-shanks to be frozen, removing the need to worry about food when putzing around a build location where the player might be spending a lot of time, as well as references here in these BTW forums of a fertility beacon. Of course, I'm easily trolled, which is why I asked.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

4.89PHILLIP wrote:Removed the ability to craft Blight into Nether Groth as it never really suited its intent as a nasty side-effect of the player's actions rather than something you'd want to intentionally create.
Blight doesn't have any uses anymore because it's not supposed to be something you make on purpose.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

gaga654 wrote:
4.89PHILLIP wrote:Removed the ability to craft Blight into Nether Groth as it never really suited its intent as a nasty side-effect of the player's actions rather than something you'd want to intentionally create.
Blight doesn't have any uses anymore because it's not supposed to be something you make on purpose.
It could be used as a weapon on a server. I've never tried it but maybe it'd be effective at clearing a jungle?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Blight is a side effect of the sfs beacon only.
The conversation regarding placenta blocks was humor and not in game content.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

SterlingRed wrote:Blight is a side effect of the sfs beacon only.
Nonsense, Placenta is vital in the crafting of bootsies.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

Foxy Boxes wrote:
SterlingRed wrote:Blight is a side effect of the sfs beacon only.
Nonsense, Placenta is vital in the crafting of bootsies.
And my explicit description of myself as autistic, somewhat gullible, and easily trolled is a good reason to unearth the "bootsies" chestnut? "Moar boosterz," amirite? +1
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

MisterFister wrote:And my explicit description of myself as autistic, somewhat gullible, and easily trolled is a good reason to unearth the "bootsies" chestnut? "Moar boosterz," amirite? +1
What are you on about? Bootsies aren't a conspiracy. You make em put the lotion on first and it's all fine.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

Gilberreke wrote: What are you on about? Bootsies aren't a conspiracy. You make em put the lotion on first and it's all fine.
Spoiler
Show
You need to use the placentas to make the lotion
Also, I recommend searching out one of the underwater temples like the one I posted about in the main forums way back when. I dug a few more up and found some of the other ingredients needed to put the lotion on its skin. It was a rough time though, the Hose got me again.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:You make em put the lotion on first and it's all fine.
The butcher really should trade for the lotion. Fixed for next release.