Ferns, taming ocelots, and other errata

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MisterFister

Ferns, taming ocelots, and other errata

Post by MisterFister »

Howdy folks. Having finally corralled three bovines, I was armed with a tin of milk to finally brave the jungle biome near OS (on my first day-cycle of punching trees, I spied a single immature cocoa pod within render distance -- finally whacked that very pod, since ripened of course, for not one but TWO seeds!) Grabbed a tree, 5 saplings, and on a lark I'd packed my shears: made off with a some jungle leaves / starter vines / two fern clippings.

I've seen too many posts referring to sudden mid-game or late-game uses for otherwise thrown-away loot drops, particularly with villager trades. I know the wiki can generally help me with most any crafting recipe I'd care to look up cross-referenced by recipe-product. Even some "raw materials" have wiki entries.

Is there any way to search for recipes based on ingredient? "I have a surplus of X, what recipes call for it?" Like I implied above, I have no intention of tossing it regardless, but can they be grown / replicated, or must all fern drops be derived through shears?

Also, how do you tame an ocelot? I had both a cooked and a raw fish with me. Left clicking tapped the cat and skeered it, right-clicking went to me putting it to my own gaping maw. Was I simply not positioned well? And, withhold spoilers if you must, but as a general yes/no proposition, can cats be bred the same as wolves or any other livestock?
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
MisterFister

Re: Ferns, taming ocelots, and other errata

Post by MisterFister »

Addendum: Since base camp is on a plain / swamp boundary, I am soon-to-be-literally swimming in slimeballs.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I don't think there is any way to farm ferns. If you can, it's only through grass planters.

As for searching for recipes based on ingredients, there's not really a good way. You can kind of look up page text matches but that's a bit janky.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

The "What links here" tool in the sidebar is a great way to see related pages; for example, you can see that the page for bark is linked to from the page for tanned leather.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Katalliaan wrote:The "What links here" tool in the sidebar is a great way to see related pages; for example, you can see that the page for bark is linked to from the page for tanned leather.
That's actually pretty useful, I didn't know about that.

Also, for taming ocelots it's a little more involved than wolves. I don't remember the process so you'd have to look it up on the MC wiki, but it's more than just walking up and feeding them.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

dawnraider wrote:Also, for taming ocelots it's a little more involved than wolves. I don't remember the process so you'd have to look it up on the MC wiki, but it's more than just walking up and feeding them.

Hmm. Ok then. I don't think it'd be very surprising for me to note that I check vMC wiki pages as an absolute last resort. Having done so upon your suggestion, http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Ocelot makes it seem like I simply have to overstock on raw fish and repeatedly feed a cat, and that eventually it'll be tamed with a low per-feeding percent chance. I've yet to tame any wolves, but by the rather dated YouTube references [predating The Beast] that was exactly the same way bones worked to tame wolves. Since I have to assume that initially-taming a wolf is at least that complicated now if not moreso, then by your words that ocelots are more involved than wolves, the vMC wiki page seems contradicted. That said, I'll report back here once I visit "Ye Olde Fission Whole" and come out with a few stacks of fishies to try again by the vMC method.
naHukep

Post by naHukep »

Perhaps I am wrong but I think you have to drop fish on the ground next to ocelot and not frighten it same time
Last edited by naHukep on Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

For cats you must sneak and wait ... If the cat come to you try to feed with fish !

Look at 22:30 :

But with Better Than Wolves cats are useless ! And it's impossible to use cats for sort mob... Because if you sit a cat he don't Scarecrow creeper :(
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

ko_teknik wrote:But with Better Than Wolves cats are useless ! And it's impossible to use cats for sort mob... Because if you sit a cat he don't Scarecrow creeper :(
really? I didn't know this.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

I dont try that since the video, but i'm pretty sure cats dont scacrow creeper when they are sited
ion

Post by ion »

ko_teknik wrote:I dont try that since the video, but i'm pretty sure cats dont scacrow creeper when they are sited
not true, tested today with latest BTW
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

i have try to ! and it work !

So i don't know maybe i make something wronk in the past !
Sorry for bad information !

Maybe they despawn or teleport i don't know ... Have you try it long times or just 2 minutes ?
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

In no particular order:
naHukep wrote:-snip
Katalliaan wrote:-snip
dawnraider wrote:-snip
ion wrote:-snip
ko_teknik wrote:-snip
Thank you all for chiming in! Much obliged. I'll report back here when next I roam into a jungle with at least two stacks of raw fish (I'm thinking three).
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

ooooh i know now ! If you have sitted a baby wolf or cat they will teleport to you each time they grow up !
So if you wanna use them you must wait until they are adult !

My Good !