[Timing rodent b] New chicken egglaying rules, also fishing

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MisterFister

[Timing rodent b] New chicken egglaying rules, also fishing

Post by MisterFister »

Hey all, absent for a while but I returned. Same seed as before, regenerated world, as my former save was badly corrupted.

As before, main base at OS in a swamp biome, same food pressure. Some recollection of the lay of the land from previous playthrough, but enough differences (fractal rounding randomizations? Slight worldgen changes since Humped Camel?) and also the failings of memory keep it challenging.

Got a single chicken back to base, as is often the case. Managed to get pumpkins to parity on the recently-completed sub-lagoon farm.

Only one egg-cycle resulted in a hatchling, and the hatchling glitched into the wall of the pen and immediately died. :( That was about a dozen feedings ago. My meat stocks have depleted, and I estimate I have about three days of food left by resorting to eating surplus pumpkin seeds (each day only produces about ~28-30% of food needs.) A single fried egg daily will not get me over this hump.

I understand, as with hemp seed generation or fishing, that there's an RNG factor at play, but I'm asking what are the odds, specifically, that any given day's single egg will result in a new bird?

Relatedly: Is it necessary to immediately feed the hatchling with the new changes? Or will it mature to an adult on its own? Would feeding it upon hatching make its first egg come sooner? For that matter, will it even eat if fed?

I'm loathe to attempt a new hunting trip for two overlapping reasons. First, I have no satellite hidey holes with food cached, and the four inventory slots for pumpkins to eat the seeds will cut into my carrying capacity for tools or even spoils to bring home. Second, while it's questionable that my current food supply would even last me long enough to head out far enough to find food again (note that I haven't hunted since the day after I brought the chicken home) the farther out I go, the more difficult it'll be to manage to bring other livestock home.

I'm still solidly in the middle of the stone age, with a hoe and just shy of five ingots of iron on hand. I haven't had food enough to justify crafting the iron pick yet because I've been babysitting the chicken with its once-daily egglaying while I prepare the hemp-plot of the underground farm, while balancing wood and cobblestone needs to install the glass moonroof for the farm (fully laid out and completed by the way, just another stack of sand to smelt and it's done!) I also don't have the food supply enough to finish my cow pen or even a temp cow pen out in the hinterland where I can find cows -- I was hoping to build up two flocks of chickens first, one dedicated to egglaying and the second one for slaughtering for meat -- at one egg daily per bird, starting from a single apparently-barren rooster, that's why I hunted up the storm that I did before in anticipation of a long wait to build up. I had no plans, nor any knowledge of any need to plan, to subsist on pumpkin seeds as an emergency measure. If I had, I would've tilled every single seed I had past the bird's feeding needs, even temporarily expanding onto the surface if need be, simply to allow for greater yields now.

I know what I need to do, I have to prepare for HCS and head out with what I have in the hopes I can manage to find meat again -- which delays the egglaying while I'm out, no less. :(

But yes -- any word on what the percentages are for eggs hatching when thrown? (Same question for the fishing, in fact -- I know about http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?tit ... re_Fishing, I'm specifically asking how long I need to let the hook dangle in the water before re-casting. Is there a cutoff, such as 5s or 10s, after which there is essentially no chance of a nibble if one hasn't occurred?)
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
MisterFister

Re: [Timing rodent b] New chicken egglaying rules, also fish

Post by MisterFister »

Aaaand, like clockwork, I head back into the game after some emails and hatch the next egg to get shat. After deciding to venture out with what pumpkins I had, in a different cardinal direction (hitherto unavoided because I recall there being desert and ocean in that direction, past untamed swamp, so not much help) and found two cows and two pigs stranded underneath an overhang overlooking a ravine that... I think might go down to lava layer, not sure. One cow hoofsied to its own gravitational doom so no beef jerky for me, but I snagged the other two. Forced back by rain to discover no fewer than three new pumpkins had sprouted, and a zombie camping the dirt-blocked wood door to my chicken coop. That zombie was wearing a full set of iron armor with Unbreaking II on the chestplate and almost 35% durability on it, and not one but two(?) bits of zombie flesh in its hands, plus the flesh it spawned when I smote it for a total of three baits for my fishhook.

I've the sneaking suspicion that merely asking the question resulted in my improved luck. Though, is there a "way" I can throw the eggs in the future to at least result in minimized likelihood of glitching the hatchling into the wall? Should I aim specifically for a seam between blocks, or dead center? Should I throw perpendicular, or at an angle, or with some y-tilt? Should I aim at the floor?

Do any of those variables affect hatch probability?
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Depending on how your coop is setup, you might be able to avoid the hatchlings becoming neck deep in the walls of their pen. If possible, hatch them on the underside of a roof, and let gravity pull them to safety. If not, dead center of a wall is a good bet. Best of luck.
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

jakerman999 wrote:Depending on how your coop is setup, you might be able to avoid the hatchlings becoming neck deep in the walls of their pen. If possible, hatch them on the underside of a roof, and let gravity pull them to safety. If not, dead center of a wall is a good bet. Best of luck.
My coop is a 5x3x3 (LWH) box carved out of the dirt / stone layer just off from my sub-lagoon entrance. My final configuration will require some basic terraforming of the surface that is a PAINFUL grind with stone tools but only takes a handful of game-days once I have iron tools.

Tossing at the ceiling seems like a forehead slapper of a suggestion, thanks a bunch! To clarify, I was hitting it roughly perpendicular to a wall, and after the stillbirth I've been aiming dead-center at a block. I don't recall exactly where I was aiming, if at all, prior to the observation. My aiming question was specifically with reference to individual blocks, as opposed to entire wall faces. Was that your understanding of the question too?
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

It was, but I thought that I might offer something outside the box. One cannot be lodged within a wall, if not near any walls ;)
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

Upon less than an hour of further play, I now just quit out after having hatched my second egg, for a total of three birds. Tomorrow I'll likely have three eggs, which is juuuuust barely enough to sustain a day if I conserve energy and don't venture far.

Relatedly, just before my near-miss incident I described at the beginning of this thread, I'd doubled the size of my pumpkin plot by finishing the second module of my modular greenhouse layout. I'm noticing that average daily yield more than doubled once those plantings came to, well, fruition, and I didn't record the first ones but I'm rather convinced that the second module went from seedling to mature stems much quicklier as well. I concede that I was able to sow the entire second module all at once as soon as it was ready, as opposed to only 2-5 seeds and waiting to till up toward parity, but I still think this was faster.

Is this an actual feature, either of vMC or this mod? Or am I imagining it? Is there something in the update-logic that takes into account local density for a positive feedback loop, possibly in lieu of an endemic respawn of animals or plants? Both the egg hatching and the pumpkin harvests are increasing at a rate that doesn't seem to be accounted for by a linear increase of baseline. I'm perfectly willing to believe that I'm simply getting luckier on the exact same backend dice rolls, but this matches up with previous playthrough observations as well.

Edit: This would make sense, given that grass / groth / mycelium / blight all tend to propagate quicklier in high-density coverage. I recognize that eggs hatching and plant fruition aren't the same thing as terrain propagation, I'm just saying that it doesn't seem silly to me that this is a possibility. (Not a feature request.)
razar51

Post by razar51 »

I always throw eggs against glass. Pretty sure they won't suffocate in it.